Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't figure out at first what it went to, so I opened the hood and took a look. Turns out it screwed down perfectly onto a piece of vertical aluminum tubing, which I took to be a part of the AC refrigerant rail. The cap has the word "Viking" printed on it; there was another underhood cap exactly like the one I found, seated on another section of aluminum tubing. It also says "Viking" on the top.

Went back to the dealership and they looked at it. The mechanic said the cap probably backed off its threads and fell off, and he assured me that the cap I found on the driveway this morning doesn't fit anything located on the underside of the engine. I was happy to hear that, didn't want to run the car up on a lift if it really wasn't necessary.

Next time you look under your Fiesta's hood, check those caps! I have trouble believing that cap just unscrewed/came off that tube all by itself, especially since this car is virtually vibration-free both at idle and out on the highway. But it did, somehow or other.

Since this is a new car line, I hope the mechanic was up to speed on the Fiesta's engine layout. The dealership still doesn't have any new Fiesta's in stock, and this nearly a month after our car came in and we took delivery on it.

Harry

·
Banned
528 Posts
Sounds like a refrigerant cap to me...

Couldn't figure out at first what it went to, so I opened the hood and took a look. Turns out it screwed down perfectly onto a piece of vertical aluminum tubing, which I took to be a part of the AC refrigerant rail. The cap has the word "Viking" printed on it; there was another underhood cap exactly like the one I found, seated on another section of aluminum tubing. It also says "Viking" on the top.

Went back to the dealership and they looked at it. The mechanic said the cap probably backed off its threads and fell off, and he assured me that the cap I found on the driveway this morning doesn't fit anything located on the underside of the engine. I was happy to hear that, didn't want to run the car up on a lift if it really wasn't necessary.

Next time you look under your Fiesta's hood, check those caps! I have trouble believing that cap just unscrewed/came off that tube all by itself, especially since this car is virtually vibration-free both at idle and out on the highway. But it did, somehow or other.

Since this is a new car line, I hope the mechanic was up to speed on the Fiesta's engine layout. The dealership still doesn't have any new Fiesta's in stock, and this nearly a month after our car came in and we took delivery on it.

Harry
If there was one missing, and you found one I could see how it could have not been screwed down tight when the system was charged. That's most likely what took place. I would not worry about it too much.....Just be glad you found it! Even so, I don't think there is much chance that leaks would have taken place, I think those caps are more to protect the fitting and keep it clean than to prevent leaks. You should be good!:D

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
If there was one missing, and you found one I could see how it could have not been screwed down tight when the system was charged. That's most likely what took place. I would not worry about it too much.....Just be glad you found it! Even so, I don't think there is much chance that leaks would have taken place, I think those caps are more to protect the fitting and keep it clean than to prevent leaks. You should be good!:D

Good observations DFW.....

The caps are not critical, yet it is VERY important to keep debris and dirt out of the AC charge ports. In the event that you need a r134a recharge you could get some dirt in the lines if the caps are missing when a recharge is attempted....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts