Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have your friends thought about your new Fiesta? My friend's reactions have been a bit confused, basically summed up by "that's cool but why did you buy a car so small?". In other words they think it's cool looking but a little too much a "girls car" because of the size. I find this confusing as with over a million sold world-wide in 18 months obviously a lot of "manly men" in other countries have bought Fiestas but in this county anything smaller than a Peterbuilt isn't manly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What have your friends thought about your new Fiesta? My friend's reactions have been a bit confused, basically summed up by "that's cool but why did you buy a car so small?". In other words they think it's cool looking but a little too much a "girls car" because of the size. I find this confusing as with over a million sold world-wide in 18 months obviously a lot of "manly men" in other countries have bought Fiestas but in this county anything smaller than a Peterbuilt isn't manly.
Our friends all really seem to like the car. A lot! :D And the questions usually are: (a) what kind of mileage does it get and (b) can I get a brochure?

The first question I answer with "35-39 mpg, town/highway driving." :D

The second question I answer with "nope." :eek:

Harry

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
In other countries the Fiesta is a normal sized car. In America it is a rather small car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
a car dealer told me "why not get a Focus? Its bigger than the Fiesta!"
So, I test drove a 2010 Focus...but it was a little bit boring to drive. I will tell my friends that i love my little car, and it's good for the planet cause it sips gasoline. It's more fun to boot!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
two people [not friends but folks walking up to my Fiesta in a parking lot] actually told me they bought a 2010 Focus instead of a 2011 Fiesta because they couldn't wait for the Fiesta and the dealer had a Focus in inventory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually then Ford wins. They still sell a car and clear out old inventory. And the people who bought the Focui probably will never know what they missed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
These threads can get buried quickly but here is the original thread where this was asked.http://fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-buzz/31598-so-how-did-neighborhood-react.html
well, my friends are not all in my neighborhood! ;)
So far the reaction is a resounding, "What a cute car!" Then the next question generally is, "What kind of gas mileage are you getting?" and then, "Wow, it has so much more room inside than what it looks like it would have."

So far no one has had a bad thing to say about it other than one guy who thought the color was a bit over the top for his taste. Even my Dad, who has always been a "Chevy man," thinks it's a pretty good little car. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW I wasn't implying that all the reactions have been negative but it definitely seems to be a love it/hate it response. One positive response I got was "Wow, that looks like a bullet!" :).

·
Registered
119 Posts
two people [not friends but folks walking up to my Fiesta in a parking lot] actually told me they bought a 2010 Focus instead of a 2011 Fiesta because they couldn't wait for the Fiesta and the dealer had a Focus in inventory.
I never understood how people can stand the focus with its gigantic silver dash on the upper trim models

·
Registered
341 Posts
A few of my friends will spontaneously bring my Fiesta up in conversation (just dropping in something about how cute it is, when all I'm talking about is the latest traffic horror story). Others will come up to me days/weeks after I showed it to them and tell me they still haven't seen another one on the road, but that they have been looking.

So I think it's made a very strong impact on a lot of my friends. It's isn't so much that they outright say it's the greatest car ever built, but seriously, my friends are thinking about my car even when I am not around and then telling me about it later!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
a car dealer told me "why not get a Focus? Its bigger than the Fiesta!"
So, I test drove a 2010 Focus...but it was a little bit boring to drive. I will tell my friends that i love my little car, and it's good for the planet cause it sips gasoline. It's more fun to boot!
jenblossom32: I had to delete your second post...I think the software posted your post twice :eek:

Glad to hear you're lovin' your car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The few that have gotten to see it definitely think it's super cute and they love all the features inside. One or two have said it's roomier inside than they thought! I can't wait until October when we go home and the rest of my family/friends gets to see it!

My boyfriends friend hasn't seen mine but he's seen one at a dealership where he lives and he says they look like easter eggs. ha!

·
Registered
522 Posts
My friend's reaction, "Definitely not a manly car", I agree but its my commuter so I could careless.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What have your friends thought about your new Fiesta? My friend's reactions have been a bit confused, basically summed up by "that's cool but why did you buy a car so small?". In other words they think it's cool looking but a little too much a "girls car" because of the size.
I think people by and large are too invested in what are basically arbitrary gender judgments of car designs. Some seem to chase after machismo, to a fault. I just don't get where these ideas originate, but I assume probably in marketing meetings. ("Hey, if we convince our market this product is more masculine, maybe they'll overlook the low-quality powertrain and suspension setup!").

Personally, I think the Fiesta has bold and aggressive styling, and I'd far rather drive a smaller vehicle like it that is nimble than something that is ponderously large (probably a SUV or pickup truck) and steers like a cow with distant or no communication from the road back to the driver.

I guess by their logic, where bigger is better, a motorcycle is the ultimate chick's vehicle? *scratches head* But again, irrationality here is par for the course in people who believe something because they were shown or told it enough in marketing campaigns.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What have your friends thought about your new Fiesta? My friend's reactions have been a bit confused, basically summed up by "that's cool but why did you buy a car so small?". In other words they think it's cool looking but a little too much a "girls car" because of the size.
Show them Ken Block's Rally car they wont think it's such a girl car then.

I think of a girl car is one that has a vase on the dash Like the VW Beetle

·
Registered
21 Posts
New Fiesta confused with old Festiva...

My SES (hatch, manual,Tuxedo black) has not arrived yet, but the initial reaction from friends is amusement. Many then regale me with stories of what they thought were POS Fiestas from the late 90s. They're usually really talking about Festivas from that era...

The new Fiesta has an uphill branding battle given the dubious quality history of MkI Fiestas, Aspires' and Festivas from the 1970s to 1990s in the US.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Many then regale me with stories of what they thought were POS Fiestas from the late 90s. They're usually really talking about Festivas from that era...
Actually the Festiva stopped production in the early 90's I think the last year was 91.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually the Festiva stopped production in the early 90's I think the last year was 91.
1993, if I remember correctly. My dad's 93 festiva had 150,000 miles on it when we turned it in. We never had to do any repairs, just routine maintenance on the vehicle. I can't speak from personal experience for the other models (mk1 fiestas, aspires), but I see more festiva's still on the road than all the other models mentioned combined.

I cannot wait to get my fiesta. My friends all know it is coming, and let me know whenever they see one. We all watch Top Gear, so I can only imagine their reactions will be positive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts