Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I installed the FRPP handling pack and the Steeda lower transmission/engine mount. The suspension kit took about 3 hours to install, and about 30 minutes to align. The Steeda mount took about an hour with issues trying to get at it with the car on jack stands. The handling pack was easy to install and I had an impact and air ratchet. The struts were assembled with the springs and new upper mounts before I got started, so swapping out the struts was really easy.

So far, I am loving the new suspension and engine mount! The car dives less on braking, rolls less on turning, has a much better shift feel, and has a more athletic stance. In the past I would try to match spring rates with dampers and could never get it right. With the FRPP kit, the dampers and springs are matched and the ride quality is fantastic. I would compare it to a first gen Mini Cooper S or SVT Focus. Controlled, firm, but not harsh at all. My wife could barely tell the difference from the passenger seat. This kit along with the short throw shifter and engine mount are a must for the Fiesta!

Untitled by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm going to order the ffrp kit today. Why did you do the engine mount though? Was it out of neccesity for some reason?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what did you do to that poor engine mount !?!!

did you break it off ?
The instructions say to pry the steel bracket away from the factory mount. Yeah, that wasn't working on my car. I ended up taking the steel bracket off and pounding the mount off the bracket. There was a boss on the aluminum spacer that was pressed into a hex feature on the steel bracket. I had to rig something up to fit into the aluminum sleeve and clear the broached hex of the bracket. Many whacks of the hammer and the mount came off the bracket. The alumimum sleeve was pressed onto the steel sleeve and then the excess aluminum was swedged over the bracket. The mount was the hardest part of the entire weekend project! I have installed about 4 or 5 of these kind of mounts on Focuses and this one was the hardest I have ever done.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to order the ffrp kit today. Why did you do the engine mount though? Was it out of neccesity for some reason?
I did the engine mount at the same time because I happened to have the car on the jack stands and all the tools out. Last weekend was the only open weekend from now until later in June, so it was my one shot to get both projects done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I ordered my ffrp kit today! I can't wait to dig into it. I hope mine turns out looking as good as yours does!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The instructions say to pry the steel bracket away from the factory mount. Yeah, that wasn't working on my car. I ended up taking the steel bracket off and pounding the mount off the bracket. There was a boss on the aluminum spacer that was pressed into a hex feature on the steel bracket. I had to rig something up to fit into the aluminum sleeve and clear the broached hex of the bracket. Many whacks of the hammer and the mount came off the bracket. The alumimum sleeve was pressed onto the steel sleeve and then the excess aluminum was swedged over the bracket. The mount was the hardest part of the entire weekend project! I have installed about 4 or 5 of these kind of mounts on Focuses and this one was the hardest I have ever done.
dam, that does seem like a load of work, too bad its not a true "bolt on". -1 Seeda

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dam, that does seem like a load of work, too bad its not a true "bolt on". -1 Seeda
Once I figured out to take the steel bracket off with the mount, it wasn't bad to install. I spent a lot of time trying to pry the mount off the bracket under the car, and thought it would be easier to just remove the mount with the bracket. I wonder if later production cars don't have the mount pressed into the sleeve, which is kind of what the instructions show. The shift feel after the mount was installed was well worth the effort!

Captainmorbid, I installed the handling pack and not either of the adjustable coilover kits. I bought eRic's FRPP kit when he removed it for the B-Spec kit. For daily use, the FRPP handling pack is perfect! I could not ask for a better performing suspension to live with everyday.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Ah! It is a surprising difference from the oe suspenders. That kit is really how the Fiesta should be sprung/damped from the factory. :)

If only there was a stiffer dog bone for the powershift...

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think for 99% of buyers, the Fiesta has the right suspension from the factory. For the 1% of us who want something a little more sporting, we know where to go :) I do think the FRPP suspension kit should be a factory option, much like the track kits for the SHO and Mustang's. As for the transmission mount, I don't know how much difference it would really make on the PS cars. Besides the vibration, I only notice the mount while shifting.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
There is a bit of engine movement at large throttle openings in lower gears from a standstill, that I'd like to be rid of. I get a tiny bit of contact from my BrokenMotorsports header and steering rack in lower gears, a bit of exhaust adjustment would likely work too. :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First full week update.

The new spindle hardware finally arrived at the dealer, which is odd since it took over a week to make the 2 hour trip from Detroit. I will install those this weekend since that is what the FRPP instructions say to do.

After driving a full week with the suspension kit and torque mount, I must say that I am 100% happy with the parts! The car is transformed greatly and is much more fun to drive. I thought the Fiesta handled great from the factory, which is does, but with the FRPP kit, it is way more enjoyable to toss around. I also noticed less interaction from the TCS on tight corners when the road surface is uneven. There are two corners on my commute that would engage the TCS for a split second just past the apex. Now, the corners can be taken without any TCS engagement. I also feel like heel-n-toe downshifting is easier with the torque mount installed. I am starting to learn what vibration is about what RPM, and that is helping with rev matching. The car feels more connected to me with the changes, and I encourage anyone who drives the Fiesta for enjoyment to install these parts.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've had the same setup for a few months now. The suspension inspires a lot of confidence. So much so, I nearly put my Fiesta in the weeds. Note to self- Need better tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unless your car is a dedicated daily driver and you wanted a firmer ride with the aerodynamic benefits of a lowered car and the lower rolling resistance of a narrow tire. I was just being stupid when I almost balled the car up.

Always, Tires first then suspension.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless your car is a dedicated daily driver and you wanted a firmer ride with the aerodynamic benefits of a lowered car and the lower rolling resistance of a narrow tire. I was just being stupid when I almost balled the car up.
the tire is the only thing contacting the road, so for me, the largest contact patch possible is a good place to start. I lowered my Fiesta for a lower cg, less brake dive, increased mechanical grip, and have a suspension that provides more feedback to the driver. I did not buy the car for MPG, I bought it to have the most amount of fun possible between points A and B. The FRPP suspension increases my driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree 100%. Don't want to hijack your thread. You bought the setup for your needs and I, mine.

the tire is the only thing contacting the road, so for me, the largest contact patch possible is a good place to start. I lowered my Fiesta for a lower cg, less brake dive, increased mechanical grip, and have a suspension that provides more feedback to the driver. I did not buy the car for MPG, I bought it to have the most amount of fun possible between points A and B. The FRPP suspension increases my driving enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts