Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just got my FRPP Handling Pack, and going through the instructions, it calls for almost all the nuts & bolts to be discarded and replaced with new ones. This includes:
*4 x nuts & bolts connecting strut to wheel hub (front)
*6 x nuts connecting strut mount/bearing to strut tower (front)
*2 x nuts connecting sway bar links to strut (front)
*2 x bolts connecting shock to wheel hub (rear)
*4 x bolts connecting shock mount to body (rear)

Pricing these online comes up to $61.64 + $12.39 shipping (fordpartsgiant.com).

For those of you who installed the FRPP pack, were new nuts & bolts necessary or can you reuse the old ones if you're careful not to strip/damage them taking them out?

(This is on a 2015 SFE with 32k miles, so I don't expect rusted in bolts to be a problem).

Thanks,
Stephen.

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
I have swapped the suspension on both our Fiestas one of them twice and did not replace the hardware. The cars were low mileage at the time and I torqued to spec. With that being said the Ford Engineers know what’s best and the hardware is presumed to be torque to yield bolts and single use. Over the years I have done more than 30 suspension updates and if the hardware is in good condition and original I will reuse. Never had a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Fiesta_Hack

Thanks man, that gives me the reassurance to go ahead with the install this weekend!

I've done several shock/strut installs and always reused the old hardware without issue. But then again - this is the first time I'm actually reading the manufacturer's instructions lol.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I purchased the Factory Service Manual for our Fiesta and all throughout the manual, every single process states hardware should be discarded and replaced. I find that pretty ridiculous in most cases. So long as the hardware isn't damaged and the threads aren't pulled you should be 100% okay to reuse them. The only hardware that I would definitely replace would be the cylinder head bolts after performing a head gasket replacement, as they are torque-to-yield (stretch) bolts and are only good for one use.

Also, enjoy that FRPP kit! I'm almost 4 years into ours and it still performs great!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Also, enjoy that FRPP kit! I'm almost 4 years into ours and it still performs great!
Do you think this can be used with the stock springs for the stock ride height? I have a few driveways that could be a problem with the lowered stance. And all the other stock height non-oem shocks are out of stock (at least anything decent).

·
Registered
209 Posts
It just makes their torque rating accurate, insisting on new bits. That's why they do it.

I put new head bolts, new crank and rod bolts and that's about it for my cars. There are other things I'll go new on but suspension bits are not among them ;)

I doubt the small difference from stock height will matter for the FRPP shocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think this can be used with the stock springs for the stock ride height? I have a few driveways that could be a problem with the lowered stance. And all the other stock height non-oem shocks are out of stock (at least anything decent).
I believe it only lowers the car by about 10mm overall.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I believe it only lowers the car by about 10mm overall.
Yeah, don't worry about how much it lowers the car man. It's not nearly as much as you'd think. Most of the life of this kit was driven on Maine roads and let me tell you, they are nasty with a capital F me. Crazy holes, questionable road surfaces and horrible driveway entrances. If I could upload a photo anymore, you'd see the approach to our old driveway was steep af, and I never had an issue after the FRPP kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, don't worry about how much it lowers the car man. It's not nearly as much as you'd think. Most of the life of this kit was driven on Maine roads and let me tell you, they are nasty with a capital F me. Crazy holes, questionable road surfaces and horrible driveway entrances. If I could upload a photo anymore, you'd see the approach to our old driveway was steep af, and I never had an issue after the FRPP kit.
Lol! Yeah it turned out to be hardly noticeable. The ride isn't noticeably harsher either. But cornering is sure improved! Turned out one of my front shocks was completely blown. Oil everywhere. So that's a factory shock failed at 32k miles and 2 1/2 years.

I intended to take lots of pictures but in 90+ degree temperatures best intentions went out the window lol. All I got was a before and after comparison for the front:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AJCYDEf5YzmRsUov1
Not even a 1/2" lower.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I remember correctly the ones they say need to be replaced are locknuts. I used some thread locker to make up for this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Mine is finally shipping. Went with new control arms and both inner and out tie rods. Pretty sure at least one ball joint needs to be replaced and at least one tie rod end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is finally shipping. Went with new control arms and both inner and out tie rods. Pretty sure at least one ball joint needs to be replaced and at least one tie rod end.
You won't be disappointed! The only problem I'm having is some clunking due to no isolators on the springs (and way to many pot holes).

Going to try some heat-shrink around the end of the springs as a home made isolator.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hmmm, that will bug me. Do the old springs have isolators that fit? I guess I'll find out this weekend, all my parts are here, and I bought the tie rod and spring compressors tonight.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The isolators from the original springs won't come off easily enough to reuse. I was semi-concerned that the kit didn't have them, but in nearly 5 years I haven't heard peep one from the springs/struts and 4 of those years we were in Maine and the roads there are the worst I've driven on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, that will bug me. Do the old springs have isolators that fit? I guess I'll find out this weekend, all my parts are here, and I bought the tie rod and spring compressors tonight.
The isolators from the original springs won't come off easily enough to reuse. I was semi-concerned that the kit didn't have them, but in nearly 5 years I haven't heard peep one from the springs/struts and 4 of those years we were in Maine and the roads there are the worst I've driven on.
Folks please disregard my comment about needing isolators. Turned out I had installed that spring upside down (which explains why the left side wasn't making any noises).

The instructions call for the "flat" end of the spring to face upwards, but when the spring is bent out of shape in the spring compressors, neither side looked particularly flat. Took the strut back out this weekend, flipped the spring around on a hunch and it seated much better this time. Zero "clunks" now.

What Ford should have said is the end with the two colored dots should face upwards. That would have made this whole exercise easier :D.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My original springs had paint on the upper side, so I matched it. Had no problem removing the lower isolator, but only one end fit the mounting holds, was good enough for me. The Mevotech control arms need a little work with a hammer to fit in the subframe, and one (or both) tie rods came pre-bent. The joints and bushings are all tight though.

So far my clunking is gone, alignment on Thursday and nice weather so I can probably ride a motorcycle to work each day. Going to need some new swaybar links soon though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who wants to come help me install the same pack I don’t have the nuts or bolts myself but I would be willing to buy them to ensure that the ride quality is good and last for the rest of this car’s life, 2011 hatch se manual transmission 167k miles just bought for around 2.5k dollars. I don’t know what tools are needed and have no desire spending 600 bucks for Ford to install a 300 dollar package.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Who wants to come help me install the same pack I don’t have the nuts or bolts myself but I would be willing to buy them to ensure that the ride quality is good and last for the rest of this car’s life, 2011 hatch se manual transmission 167k miles just bought for around 2.5k dollars. I don’t know what tools are needed and have no desire spending 600 bucks for Ford to install a 300 dollar package.
What’s your location? Lol that would help to find someone to help you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts