Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any one has noticed a marked increase in fuel economy after engine break in. My last Tank was 4+ MPG better than the rest. Wondering if it is due to engine break in. I now have over 6K on the car. I went over 500 Miles on the last tank, so I don't think it is pump/tank error. Will have to wait for the next tank full.
Also we could use some more folks on Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yep, it is normal for mileage to go up during engine break-in. My car started out at 16, jumped to 24, and now has averaged around 31. I have 1400 miles on the car, and the last few tanks have been steady at 31 mpg and around 300 miles per tank.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have 1400 miles on mine also and my mileage was going up steady until the last tank fill up. I have been buying my gas at different brand stations and the last was at Texaco and it dropped my mileage by 2.5 mpg even with some highway driving which I don't normally do.
I filled it back up again tonight ,at a different station, and then drove about 25 miles after that and I recovered about a .5 MPG in that short a time. I guess I won't try that station again for a while. It might just be that station but I will try it again after a while just to see if it happens again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mileage

check out my results in eco section...today i topped off the tank 4.1 gallons had 188 miles on trip which works out to 45.85 mpg..miles to empty after fill up read 532 miles...since i changed the oil and filter and waxed her at 1300 miles my mpg has gone up 2mpg...120 mile commute all hwy cruise at 67mph...:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are you folks using the OBC mileage, or calculating it? We'll be setting up a Fuelly account in the near future.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am using both and they are fairly close together. I can't figure what OBC means but I assume you are talking about the average miles per gallon in the dash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am using both and they are fairly close together. I can't figure what OBC means but I assume you are talking about the average miles per gallon in the dash.
That is correct. OBC is the Acronym for On Board Computer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yep, it is normal for mileage to go up during engine break-in. My car started out at 16, jumped to 24, and now has averaged around 31. I have 1400 miles on the car, and the last few tanks have been steady at 31 mpg and around 300 miles per tank.
You looking at the computers average? The cars mileage will never actually be 16, and unlikely even 24. When the car was new it had to start at zero and work it's way up to a number near actual mileage. Mine after calculation is almost always higher per tank than the average the computer shows, I think there was one exception where it was lower.

We must both have manual gearboxes. Mine hovers between 31 and 32. If I could in all conscience, drive under 75 (Me? Never....) without the AC I'd bet it would easily be 2-3mpg better. But I'm ok with my numbers considering my usual highway speed is actually 80+.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My mileage doesn't seem to have ever changed due to break-in. From the start, I was getting 35-40 with the cruise set at 65mph(indicated) and a/c on. I do a lot of hwy driving and consistently hit 39-40. My computer is always 1.0-1.5mpg higher than actual,though. I always use BP regular(5% discount with card). Changed my oil last week at 3K miles with synthetic blend--no apparent change in mpg. When I push her hard, I've never seen lower than 32, but I rarely ever drive in a pure urban, stop-n-go environment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My second tank was much better than the first. Will start the third tank tomorrow. Averaging 34 on the computer now. My old Honda Accord only averaged 22.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The changes could be partly due to break in, but also could be due to the ECU learning your driving habits and optimising the mapping system (for the engine) for better mpgs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just bought my Fiesta SES Manual, comp. says 18mpg

This little car only has 50 miles registered on it, but I'm surprised at the mpg. I have not driven it too fast, but I do have A/C on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It keeps improving

My first few fill ups were in the 33-34 range, today's fill up was 37.7 (calculating the mpg) in mixed driving. I'm at a little over 2k miles.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
If you have the Eco Shift/Power Shift automatic that computer will also learn your driving habits and optimise as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
calculated mpg today max ac#1 setting mostly hwy..242 miles driven and 6.2 bal. bought...39.03 mpg...on board computer hasnt been reset since 21 miles when bought...car now at 1990 miles and it shows 42.4 mpg long term..ive manually calc.mpg's between 37.7-46 mpg...:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last tank was 40.7 mpg according to avg mpg on the dash. i drove highway only on a long trip. a/c on full blast. I was sad because the trip started out at 48mpg, but slowly dipped down to 40.7mpg by the end.

Tank before that was almost 100% city/bumper to bumper traffic driving at about 10 mph and i got 25.0 mpg. :(

Still probably better than my old car, no clue what MPG it was getting (because it didn't have it on the dash, and I don't bother to calculate it).

·
Registered
157 Posts
You looking at the computers average? The cars mileage will never actually be 16, and unlikely even 24. When the car was new it had to start at zero and work it's way up to a number near actual mileage. Mine after calculation is almost always higher per tank than the average the computer shows, I think there was one exception where it was lower.
You are zeroing the average MPG display at each fillup, right?

·
Registered
421 Posts
You are zeroing the average MPG display at each fillup, right?
Nope, tracking the overall to date average the same way I do in my other cars. All I zero is the trip odometer. Is this in some way supposed to be a problem? If so I don't see how. I calculate the actual mileage of each tank manually after each fill.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Last tank was 40.7 mpg according to avg mpg on the dash. i drove highway only on a long trip. a/c on full blast. I was sad because the trip started out at 48mpg, but slowly dipped down to 40.7mpg by the end.

Tank before that was almost 100% city/bumper to bumper traffic driving at about 10 mph and i got 25.0 mpg. :(

Still probably better than my old car, no clue what MPG it was getting (because it didn't have it on the dash, and I don't bother to calculate it).
At least it's better than my old car. My old car was getting an estimated 6mpg when I got rid of it. It had something to do with the Carburetor needing to be replaced. The car had about 261,000 miles on it at the time. I didn't want to have to spend the money on getting it replaced , with other things to go wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Nope, tracking the overall to date average the same way I do in my other cars. All I zero is the trip odometer. Is this in some way supposed to be a problem? If so I don't see how. I calculate the actual mileage of each tank manually after each fill.
I do this with all my cars going back to early 80's. Part of the reason I do it is that a fuel mileage change that is significant can indicate a problem that I need to look in to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts