Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Automobile Magazine, the Fiesta "will" get the 1.6 Ecoboost late next year.

Future Product: Upcoming Products and Changes for Ford's Cars Revealed ? Automotive News & Car Rumors at Automobile Magazine

However according to CNET, it will be 2013.

Ford goes green, small, high-tech | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

CNET also reports the first restyling will be due in 2016. This is what I've been wondering about: at that time, the EU Fiesta would be 7 years old. Is North America going to get left a generation behind like we were with the Focus?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
the more accurate rumors I have heard point to next late fall as a 2012 model with a 1.6L EB, but that could be for EU consumption. It is pretty much "for sure" that the Fiesta will get a EB motor at some point, but it could be the smaller displacement engine to replace the 1.6L NA. I think most of this is based on how well the Fiesta actually sells, interest in a performance model, global sales, ect. One thing is for sure, the 1.6L EB motor would be for some sort of a performance option since it would be producing a fairly decent amount of hp. Traditionally, fun stuff like that stays in Europe.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was reading today that redesign Fiesta is due for MY2014. Ford stated sometime ago that their goal is to redesign models every 3 years, which would put the North American and Global Fiesta on the same cycle for MY2014.
But Europe and the rest of the world will have a bit of wait for their Fiesta's redesign.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was reading today that redesign Fiesta is due for MY2014. Ford stated sometime ago that their goal is to redesign models every 3 years, which would put the North American and Global Fiesta on the same cycle for MY2014.
But Europe and the rest of the world will have a bit of wait for their Fiesta's redesign.
Thanks for that information. I was thinking they might converge since I read not too long ago that Alan Mullaly wanted a three year cycle on Ford products. Hopefully that 2016 statement in Automobile Magazine is erroneous.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If the Fiesta sells well, we will get more options, upgrades and models. If it's a slow seller, no restyle, no new engines. At this point it is really too soon to tell.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'd put more credibility on Automobile.com versus cnet, but that's just my opinion :)

What Automobile.com doesn't touch on is the naming of any sort of "hot" car in North America. We've had the SVT moniker for quite some time. There has been a push to use "ST" or "RS", but some purists over here don't think it has the same impact as "SVT".

Most of what is written has been said before and expected. The current NA Focus had some other issues; hence, why we lagged in the platforms. I'd expect the Fiesta to come up to speed, so if a "2014" is launched, it'd likely be produced as early as January 2013 (which technically meets the 2014 model year rule).

·
Registered
227 Posts
The next Fiesta sold over here needs FOGS, period. To have sacrificed them (as I suspect was the case) on "The Altar of Styling" where the 2011 Fiesta was/is concerned constitutes a serious blunder on Ford's part. The white L.E.D. DRLs on our new SES look cool, sure, but that's about it from any functionality standpoint.

Harry

·
Banned
528 Posts
Ramp up and fine tuning.....

Could it be that during the ramp up, launch that it was best to keep the options to a minimum until the initial dealer orders and pre-orders were filled, get some cars on the road, and then listen to the feedback and watch the numbers before you make the huge investment with suppliers in stocking all of these different colors and combinations?

Allan Mullaly said in one of his interviews that they were trying to reduce the possible combinations of ways to order a car. I think he said it was on the Explorer that they went from somewhere in the neighborhood of 17,000 ways to spec an Explorer (which sounded astronomical to me) and they now have it down to 1700 possible combinations? That's crazy still.

I agree with BRGT350 that time will tell, and sales and customer feedback will fuel the future of options available on the Fiesta. Ford has postitioned themselves where 80% of the plant has re-programmable equipment for quick producition changes.

The fact that Ford is the only non-government subsidized manufacturer tells me Mullaly's game plan is spot on, and reducing (right sizing) the offering of vehicles and providing higher quality low end vehicles will make Ford #1 for years to come.

There are a lot of hard feelings against GM and Chrysler due to their issues and their acceptance of a government bailout.

I think you will continue to see Ford move manufacturing out of th US to reduce production cost, and increase build quality.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
The fact that Ford is the only non-government subsidized manufacturer tells me Mullaly's game plan is spot on, and reducing (right sizing) the offering of vehicles and providing higher quality low end vehicles will make Ford #1 for years to come.

There are a lot of hard feelings against GM and Chrysler due to their issues and their acceptance of a government bailout.

I think you will continue to see Ford move manufacturing out of th US to reduce production cost, and increase build quality.
They recently took a loan to boost exports though:
Ford takes $250 million loan guarantee to boost exports - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com
A little funny considering their success in Europe without these sorts of loans.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't see the point in trying to export North American Fords, in the past two decades its been pure dismal failure.

·
Banned
528 Posts
But it wasn't a Government Loan!

Business make loans all the time, the fact that Ford acutally has a decent credit rating allows them to raise capital without asking the permission of the UAW or the Federal Government.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The next Fiesta sold over here needs FOGS, period. To have sacrificed them (as I suspect was the case) on "The Altar of Styling" where the 2011 Fiesta was/is concerned constitutes a serious blunder on Ford's part. The white L.E.D. DRLs on our new SES look cool, sure, but that's about it from any functionality standpoint.

Harry
None of the cars that come with "fog" lights are actually fog lights. They aim at the ground immediately in front of the car and have a wide, spread out beam. These do nothing for fog. They're all about style. That being the case, I think the strip of LEDs are quite cool.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think Ford's plan for "3 year model changes" is best exemplified by the Fusion; every 6 years it's an all-new model, with a heavy facelift (instead of the minor tweaking favored by most manufacturers) midway through the model run. The current Fiesta will probably be on the Euro market for 6 or 7 years before the next-gen comes out, so I'd say a 2016MY intro isn't far-fetched. However, expect a fairly significant freshening in about two years; Ford may even take that opportunity to more closely align the Euro and US Fiestas.

I don't see the point in trying to export North American Fords, in the past two decades its been pure dismal failure.
I think the idea is to export Euro-design Fords built in the US. US-built Foci and Fiestas are probably cheaper than their Euro-built counterparts with no loss in quality. Also, there is AFAIK a pretty good market for SUVs and large sedans in Australia, China, Russia, and the Middle East.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
None of the cars that come with "fog" lights are actually fog lights. They aim at the ground immediately in front of the car and have a wide, spread out beam. These do nothing for fog. They're all about style. That being the case, I think the strip of LEDs are quite cool.
I agree with you. All the factory fog lights on my cars were worthless in the fog. I'll take the LEDs thank you.;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think the idea is to export Euro-design Fords built in the US. US-built Foci and Fiestas are probably cheaper than their Euro-built counterparts with no loss in quality. Also, there is AFAIK a pretty good market for SUVs and large sedans in Australia, China, Russia, and the Middle East.
One problem, Australia has its own plants for the Falcon (and all variants), the Territory, and I believe the Mondeo as well now. Fiesta's are imported from Germany, Foci are imported from Germany. Rangers come from South Africa with the F Super Duties coming from Argentina. China has their own factories and imports come from Germany. Ford of the Middle East is virtually non existant with a few models by special order and Russia gets their cars from Germany/China as well. The German assembly plant for Fiesta and Focus is tooled to handle both LHD cars and RHD cars and is the leader in exports to other countries. Pretty much Ford NA is going to try and most likely export the Taurus to other countries. I wonder if a RHD variant has been made. Wouldn't be the first time Ford has tried to make the Taurus a Global Car.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The next Kuga will be built in N.A. and exported to Europe.

Overhere we have had some N.A. imports: the Ford Probe and Ford (Mercury) Cougar. (the Ranger that's sold in some European countries is a Thai product).

Tauruses, trucks, Mustangs, T-birds and Windstars were/are sold through a few designated Ford USA dealers. The Lincoln LS was supposed to be filling the void left behind by the ended Ford Scorpio, but never appeared in regular Ford showrooms.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I remember the Lincoln ordeal it was to be badged the Ford Lincoln but didn't make it past the final approval. The Probe was tried as a Telstar replacement if I remember right in Australia but like the Taurus was a dismal failure.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The Lincoln LS was supposed to be filling the void left behind by the ended Ford Scorpio, but never appeared in regular Ford showrooms.
Just be glad you dodged that bullet.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The LS wasn't too bad of an idea, just once again you were stuck with the Ford thing of you go with the six cylinder to have the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I drove a Lincoln LS once or twice and it was like a four door Mustang :)
and yeah it bugged me that the manual was only available with the base v6.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts