Fiesta Faction banner

Harmonic Balancer Position Mark Question

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  thebicman 
#1 ·
I have been trying to reset the timing in my 2014 fiesta 1.6 and let it sit awhile, back to trying to fix it. Long story short the crankshaft got turned counterclockwise a quarter turn (skipping over belt teeth) while cams cams were locked with phaser tool at timing marks. I got it all apart again after no start condition from timing off and relocked cams with tool. I took belt off and rotated crank clockwise and it went 1/4 turn before hitting TDC pin (as expected). As far as I can determine it should be in proper timing again at this state, just going to check piston positions again with screwdriver to be sure.

My main question: looking at the harmonic balancer, there is a marking hole in the side of it. In the position it is currently against the TDC pin, this hole is lined and pointing right towards the TDC pin. Is this hole meant to mark and line up this towards TDC? I don't see any other reason for this hole to be there unless it's supposed to fit some sort of tool. I don't see any other marks on the balancer to indicate any position references.

#3 ·
I have been really busy with work and traveling so I have it apart but haven't kept working on it. The last thing I did was remove the timing belt with cams locked in proper position, then turned the crankshaft about 1/4 turn before it hit the TDC pin. This tells me the crank was out of timing with the cams. I am debating just putting it back together now without finishing the timing belt change just to have it running again. I want to take out the plugs and double check that the #1 piston is at TDC before I put belt back on, also debating if I should take intake cover off and double check the cam lobes to make sure they are right. Its just a pain having to rip all the parts off to get at the belt then put it all back to test if it runs right!

#4 ·
Well I put cams at timing marks and locked them, put crank at TDC, hooked belt up again, reassembled everything and.......it started and ran for about 10 seconds then died. Refuses to start again. I am at a loss about what's going on, there are no codes or anything on reader.

#5 ·
UPDATE- Reading some other posts on hard starting ot was suggested to pump accelerator pedal while trying to start. Well this worked, it finally caught fully and started idling normally. It must have had old gas in injectors that needed cleared out. It also gave me a P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire code, again probably from old gas gunming up the injector. Cleared codes and restarted and code went away.

#6 ·
Hello. I’m in a similar position where I believe the crank pulley turned with the locking tool in place on the cams. Based on your experience is this just not an issue and i should proceed as normal? Just checking that the issue was actually resolved with gas and not your previous attempts.
What a stressful process!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.