Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I installed the XPel headlight protection film on my Fiesta. The film protects the headlights from chips, cracks, abrasion, and impacts. The install went very well, with no air bubbles or creases in the film. It took a few days in the sun to fully evaporate the transfer fluid, and now it is crystal clear with no signs that anything was put over the plastic lenses. XPel offers the film in clear, smoke, yellow, and blue. They also include film to cover the LED lamps as well.

XPel's website: Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.

Here is the link to the pictures; XPel Headlight Film Install - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very nice!

Probably one of the best preventative cosmetic maintenance things you can do, along with a clear bra.

Did you have to use a hair dryer to stretch the film or was it a pretty nice fit as is?

-spatakula

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, I had a set of FSWerks Lamin-X films on the headlights of my SVT Focus. After 5 brutal Michigan winters, not a single mark on the housings.

I used a heat gun to help get the film to conform to the lense. The Fiesta's headlight lense is way more complicated than the Focuses. I don't think I used any heat for the Focus, but the large bulge on the Fiesta near the lowbeam required a little heat to get it to move. The film required no stretching, just enough heat to get it flexible enough to conform to the lense. My dad helped and he was so impressed, he got a set for his Fusion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gotchya.

Yeah on the Focus, the Laminex was a TAD short so I had to stretch it with some heat. Then on the other light, the film was a bit too long! Go figure! haha.

-spatakula

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These were the first ones cut, and fit the lense very well. The XPel film is thicker than the Lamin-X, so the heat helps get it to move. They also make the clear bra and sell strips by the foot. I am installing strips along the body kit and rear bumper cover for extra protection. Talking with them, they gave me an awesome idea to use their stealth clear film and add stripes. Very cool looking!

·
Registered
508 Posts
FYI These don't yet show up as available on the XPel website, all you get is a message stating "We currently have no products available for this model. Our Design Team is aware of the need for these products and will begin the design process as soon as a vehicle can be obtained for patterning."

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would be correct since the first set made were installed last week. :) They were waiting for feedback on fitment before making them available.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting. I just ordered them (the XPels) from AutoSport. Their website showed them as available on Saturday. Thanks for the pics. I've done these on three cars, but none as long as the Fiesta's. At least there aren't any really abrupt changes in curvature.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I thought I'd provide an update. We got one set that was wrong :mad: (was for a current Mustang; I could tell something was up when the package was only about 14" long). The second set was fine.

Follow the directions! They really are all you need. This isn't technically difficult, but you need to be patient. Mix the alcohol solution, and keep your hands clean and wet. Also keep the surface wet; the squeegee will slide much easier. If you keep the sticky side wet, you can lift and reposition it as needed.

These are BIG pieces of plastic. If you've done this before, just be aware. If this is your first attempt, don't be scared off. As far as curvature, well, it's not as bad as my wife's 1st gen. Prius, but more involved than my MINI. Either way, other than size, it was way easier than the small, steep curves on my motorcycle. Again, just be patient. When you lay it out, it won't look like they fit. 's okay. I started from the inside, and got it lined up and worked toward the outside. You just have to be willing to get wrinkles at the edges and work them out.

Do this when it's at least warm outside. The softer the film is, the better. I put them outside, paper side up while I washed the car. Even so, as soon as I started handling them (ambient temp about 67 degrees), they got stiffer. This was the first installation I'd done with a heat gun. It made it much easier. I got an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight, 750/1500w, I think. I never needed the higher setting.

A couple things about heat guns. This is NOT a hair dryer. It gets much hotter, much faster, while moving substantially less air. Pay close attention to how warm the film gets, as well as the surrounding paint. Scorch your Lime Squeeze, and I don't wanna hear about it. Keep plenty of the alcohol solution on both sides of the film. You can always squeegee it out.

There is a crown over top of the big beam. There seems to be a little flex in the lens in that area; it may look like you've got a bubble there when you don't. Behind that bulge and in front of the top section of the turn signal is a dip. Be sure to work the film down into the recess before you work back toward the aft end, or you'll be lifting the film to get the bubble out. DAMHIK. Be sure that sharp aft tip is down. If you get debris under there because you miss it, you'll be unhappy later. After you get it down, there'll be buckled areas along the edges of varying sizes. 's okay too. Go back and work those from the center out one at a time with the heat gun.

Worth the time, much cheaper than a broken lens, and if they get hazed (the ones on the Prius didn't; 8 years/141K), pull 'em off and start over.

Feel free to PM me if I can add any indispensable wisdom. :cool:

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Last week I installed the XPel headlight protection film on my Fiesta. The film protects the headlights from chips, cracks, abrasion, and impacts. The install went very well, with no air bubbles or creases in the film. It took a few days in the sun to fully evaporate the transfer fluid, and now it is crystal clear with no signs that anything was put over the plastic lenses. XPel offers the film in clear, smoke, yellow, and blue. They also include film to cover the LED lamps as well.

XPel's website: Paint Protection Film - XPEL Technologies Corp.

Here is the link to the pictures; XPel Headlight Film Install - a set on Flickr

I have an Xpel installer in my area and he did headlights, fog and a complete front wrap on my Mach 1, with the install he gives a bottle of a polish just for that, don't know if you have it, it is an Xpel product. I already asked him about doing the Fiesta, said they don't have a pattern yet for it ( he has a computer cutting machine in his house to do a pattern), but they can wrap the front, do hood, side mirrors and rear quarters. After two years, looks great. Get the polish!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts