Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!

We're on a road tour to the Detroit auto show and my speakers are popping every 10 seconds. Basically the sound stop, you hear a pop and the sound comes back. It will do this in radio, USB, Bluetooth audio or even when the radio is off! I pulled the fuse out for 10 minutes for the radio. It went away for 10 minutes and came right back. :-( any ideas?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I need help!

We're on a road tour to the Detroit auto show and my speakers are popping every 10 seconds. Basically the sound stop, you hear a pop and the sound comes back. It will do this in radio, USB, Bluetooth audio or even when the radio is off! I pulled the fuse out for 10 minutes for the radio. It went away for 10 minutes and came right back. :-( any ideas?
Hello again suprfsta,

Just read your posts on the key fob thread. When you send the PM with the requested info, I'll make sure to have the CSM address this concern with the dealer as well.

Thanks and have fun on the tour!

Noemi

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help!! We will be in touch! I left te fuse out for an hr and all seemed to be good... 20 mins and counting!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Even with the car turned OFF, the popping continues for about 30-60 secs! Another thread in here dealt with this problem. Another FFer finally got it to pop while at the dealership. They apparently ran a check of SYNC and ended up replacing the APIM module(whatever that is!)

If this is going to become more common as our cars age, maybe a TSB will be forthcoming. Unfortunatly, my car is out of warranty:(, so I have no idea what this fix might cost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Tom

Ya mine is out of warranty as well. Did you purchase an ESP? I did do I hope it is covered if it happens again

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did buy an ESP, but I think I just bought the major components(engine/trans/AC). I'll have to dig it out and see if elctrical stuff is covered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I'm told the dealers really shy away from warranty when sync is involved so make sure you check yOur paperwork don't just ask the advisor.

It seems mine is an overheat issue. The dash by the display is getting very hot, and if I leave the car for a few hrs it goes away until the radio Has been on for a few hrs.

I'll probably hold off for a bit to get it in. My ESP has a $100 deductible so I might as well wait till there are a few things for them to do! But I'll let u know what they find when it does get in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drat. Now mine is doing that. I'm checking the SyncMyRide.com site to see if there's an update out there. The Sync APIM (Accessory Protocal Interface Module) may need an update. I turned 80,000 miles in on the way home today, so Limoncito is going in for an oil change and I'll ask about the popping problem. And the clunky sounding steering linkage. And maybe get financing so I can fix the clutch issue, which acted up again coming out of first gear on the commute home. Really like the car. Equally torked off about these issues. <sigh>

10/10/12 Update: Dealer found an Oasis Special Service Message - Some 2011 Fiesta, Super Duty, 2012 Focus Vehicles equipped with a single CD or single CD with SDARS audio control unit (ACM), may exhibit a pop noise from the speakers and/or an audio cut-out. The pop noise has been known to occur with or without the ACM turned on.

I was told it will cost $450 and is on national backorder, which means they have no idea when they will get one in.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hey Tom

Ya mine is out of warranty as well. Did you purchase an ESP? I did do I hope it is covered if it happens again
I did buy an ESP, but I think I just bought the major components(engine/trans/AC). I'll have to dig it out and see if elctrical stuff is covered.
There are various versions of ESP with some carrying better coverage than others, it's all down to which one you bought.

-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drat. Now mine is doing that. I'm checking the SyncMyRide.com site to see if there's an update out there. The Sync APIM (Accessory Protocal Interface Module) may need an update. I turned 80,000 miles in on the way home today, so Limoncito is going in for an oil change and I'll ask about the popping problem. And the clunky sounding steering linkage. And maybe get financing so I can fix the clutch issue, which acted up again coming out of first gear on the commute home. Really like the car. Equally torked off about these issues. <sigh>

10/10/12 Update: Dealer found an Oasis Special Service Message - Some 2011 Fiesta, Super Duty, 2012 Focus Vehicles equipped with a single CD or single CD with SDARS audio control unit (ACM), may exhibit a pop noise from the speakers and/or an audio cut-out. The pop noise has been known to occur with or without the ACM turned on.

I was told it will cost $450 and is on national backorder, which means they have no idea when they will get one in.
Took Limoncito in for the 85,000 mile oil change (car came with "Maintenance for Life" package from my dealer, which is oil change and tire rotation every 5,000 miles) - still no ACM in sight. Thinking about getting a bluetooth speaker for the car so I can listen to music through my phone. Or maybe I should just go for a new stereo system and forget it.... That's almost 3 months of riding around in silence. Maddening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mines popping also

I took it in to the dealer and they said the hiss is from the ACM ,and the pop was from the radio going out. I've read that they are one and the same.They never mentioned the APIM. They said a new radio would cost $600, not sure if that was for installed. I told them forget it. I'm looking for other options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had the same issue. they replaced the radio
My car is doing the same thing,been driving in silence for a week, anyone know if putting an aftermarket head unit would fix the issue or is it the acm unit causing the issues? I really don't want to pay for a new Ford unit if it's just going to happen again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i bought a 2011 Fiesta that does the exact thing. One time the dealership replaced the APIM and then they conducted a Sync Master Reset. Finally got the Manager of the Ford Dealership involved and now they have identified the problem as the ACM. Not sure how much this will cost but they are covering it since its an issue that occurred within the first 30 days of buying the car and was never fixed. Since April they have replaced the radiator, catalytic convertor, climate control module, a key fob, taillight, APIM. Given all the issues the service manager has given me a free oil change and is topping off the gas tank. Many issues but i only paid $8K for the car and everything has been replaced for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just re-obtained custody of the Hatchback SES Fiesta I bought with a partner in 2011 (long story). It's in reasonably rough shape externally but otherwise in good shape.

However, it's experiencing this popping noise.

Based on this thread. The highest likelihood appears to be the Audio Control Module?

If so, three questions:
1. Is this the Audio Control Module http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-12-13-Fo...Ford|Model:Fiesta&hash=item48679d0791&vxp=mtr

2. Since the car has the little sync display, is there a compatibility difference?
3. Am I correct believing that I have to go to the dealer to have them program the radio (this goes back to whether there is anything that needs to be considered in relation to sync as well)

I very much appreciate any help. I need to sell the car and don't want to leave someone with an annoying electrical issue if it's easily resolvable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recently had the ACM replaced, the popping noise actually occurred in front of the tech's at the dealership. I have the Ford Premium Care ESP and it was replaced without having to pay the deductible due to the repeated issues with trying to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. 2014 Ford fiesta. 55k miles I've had to completely remove fuse or else the noise is unbearable. One thing Ive noticed that I havn't seen anyone else speak on is that when I put the fuse back in(for testing), it sparks. Is it okay if it does that? I just dont want to buy a replacement stereo and come to find out it was an issue with wiring or the fuse box. I would appreciate any aftermarket recommendations. Thank You!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem ! The same car too, this started almost a year ago and it was a popping noise and my radio and bluetooth would cut off but then it started to turn into a loud static screeching noise !!! So loud that you could hear it across the parking lot.. it made the noise even while my car is off.. months later the loud sound died down so now it’s not so loud but it makes a screeching noise here and there , I took it to the dealership but they really didn’t do a diagnostic test just said I need a new radio for $500 but idk yet , I feel like I need to see about other opinions
I have the same issue. 2014 Ford fiesta. 55k miles I've had to completely remove fuse or else the noise is unbearable. One thing Ive noticed that I havn't seen anyone else speak on is that when I put the fuse back in(for testing), it sparks. Is it okay if it does that? I just dont want to buy a replacement stereo and come to find out it was an issue with wiring or the fuse box. I would appreciate any aftermarket recommendations. Thank You!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts