Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a quote from State Farm on adding my Fiesta to my policy and the rate was quite high, $100 more a year than my 260-hp $30,000 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Sure the Fiesta is rated for commuting and the Solstice is rated for occasional use but I didn't expect that it would be so high. Which insurance companies don't consider the Fiesta a high-risk vehicle?

I suspect that since the Fiesta is being marketed to 20-somethings that the rates are being set high because more risky drivers will buy the car not because someone over 40 like myself is a risk.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just got a quote from State Farm on adding my Fiesta to my policy and the rate was quite high, $100 more a year than my 260-hp $30,000 Pontiac Solstice GXP. Sure the Fiesta is rated for commuting and the Solstice is rated for occasional use but I didn't expect that it would be so high. Which insurance companies don't consider the Fiesta a high-risk vehicle?

I suspect that since the Fiesta is being marketed to 20-somethings that the rates are being set high because more risky drivers will buy the car not because someone over 40 like myself is a risk.
My wife is a new driver (she decided at 30 to get her license) and her insurance is ~$300/6mo with the fiesta. This is slightly lower than what I'm paying on my escape. This was actually less than what we thought it was going to be.

and we go with state farm

·
Registered
413 Posts

My State Farm insurance increased less than $20 every six months over my 2001 Cadillac DeVille. Of course, I'm a low mileage driver and in the mutual fund with multi-vehicle & multi-line, too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The "low mileage use" can substantially reduce insurance premiums, especially if you have more cars than drivers (since you cannot be driving all of the cars at the same time). I know that when I added the Fiesta, I changed my old car's policy to "low mileage use" and its premium went down by a lot. The Fiesta premium did not seem especially high (I did get quotes for the Fiesta and another car that I was considering before buying).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If people are finding lower quotes with other companies please let me know the company you are using so I can consider moving to them from State Farm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If people are finding lower quotes with other companies please let me know the company you are using so I can consider moving to them from State Farm.
I got a good rate through Progressive, so I ended up switching to them from AAA. It's possible that State Farm might not have all the info on the Fiesta in their system yet, so their rates might be higher than other companies.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I also had the problem of astronomical rates being quoted to me. I had cancelled my insurance after my previous car died, which explains most of the high rates, but I also think the fact that Fiesta hasn't been crash test rated is another factor. Rates might come down once the Fiesta's crash worthiness is known.

The lowest rate in my situation was from Amica. Geico, which had my old policy with the previous car, was the second lowest. But both of the rates were awful, objectively speaking. Especially for someone who has never caused an accident.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I am with State Farm and I think it is around $350 +/-$20 for 6 months, which seems about what my SVT Focus was. We have our house, Escape, Mustang, and Fiesta all insured thru State Farm.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have Progressive and my policy went up about $80/6 months vs. my previous car--a 2006 Miata. That car was very cheap to insure compared to my 2000 Honda Civic. So, I would think the Fiesta, then, is pretty cheap compared to others in its class. I also am 49, clean record and multi-car discounts.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I'm not sure whether the higher rates have to do with the Fiesta being a new model, or maybe repair parts are high. Depending on where you're located, some of the higher rates are being driven by insurance companies claiming the need for higher premiums due to higher payouts on other things (like natural disasters, higher medical costs, etc.). Sometimes, even being in or near a large city is grounds for your premiums to shoot up.

It does pay to shop around. I'm not sure if the AAA offers group insurance rates. Also check with your employer or maybe trade union as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am with State Farm and it was $2 less every 6 months than my 2005 Mustang and we have house, trucks, cars and camper insured with them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Progressive was the cheapest. Geico was fairly low too, even though they didn't have Fiesta listed in their database. All the other companies I checked (Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm, AAA) were WAY too high.

I got progressive $458/6 months... 25 year old female, clean record excellent credit.

100/300/100, uninsured motorist, the whole shebang.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm with State Farm & my rates quoted by my agent were lower then I was expecting & after I sent in my payment they adjusted the rate down another 10%, so I got a refund. Clean record, two adults with 3 cars and the house insured with them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not seeing rates with State Farm anywhere near as low as other people, more like $496 per 6 months, way higher than my Miata and Solstice. I have a clean record and I'm over 40 so it shouldn't be nearly as high. Could be my 22 mile commute but the Miata is my commuter now and it's a little over $300. My agent is out on extended sick leave however so it could be that her minons don't know the system.

Oh and earlier I was looking at bringing over a Lancia Delta HF Integrale (an '80s super rally car never sold in the US) when they become legal January 1 and even *that* was rated lower than the Fiesta!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I pulled a VIN from a Fiesta equipped about like the one I will get - Once my Job 2 Employer stops being greedy and settles on a new contract, hopefully next month - and requested an online quote from Geico.

Without changing any coverage for the Cougar or the Focus, except for making the Fiesta the commute car, they're saying I'd pay an additional $251.00 per six months.

52 year old single male, 10 mile commute each way for job one, 0.9 miles for job 2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm planning to requote all 6 that I originally got quoted in 6 months and see what happens, so many companies didn't even have the fiesta listed in their website and I doubt they have all the info about the cars yet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm planning to requote all 6 that I originally got quoted in 6 months and see what happens, so many companies didn't even have the fiesta listed in their website and I doubt they have all the info about the cars yet.
Which 6 companies did you get a quote from and which one did you choose?

·
Registered
324 Posts
We're in the process of checking out one quote which came in at nearly $150/year less for our 3 vehicles than we paid last year with the Impala we just sold (to be replaced by the Fiesta). My wife is going to our current insurance agent today to find out if they are quoting identical coverage levels, and if so, see if he can compete at that level.

·
Registered
324 Posts
We're in the process of checking out one quote which came in at nearly $150/year less for our 3 vehicles than we paid last year with the Impala we just sold (to be replaced by the Fiesta). My wife is going to our current insurance agent today to find out if they are quoting identical coverage levels, and if so, see if he can compete at that level.
I should add that we both turned 50 this year, and maybe there is a different rate level that applies (?). Just one of the questions that will be asked. After all, we now qualify for AARP . . . . . :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
**** State Farm. My parents had them for many years for their house and cars. My house and my girls' truck was insured by State Farm. They refused to renew our insurance two years ago on both my parents' house, and mine. Why you ask? We were too high risk. Why the risk? We live in Florida!!

Yepo, we all switched to Progressive for the cars. I cannot stand State Farm. But, that is just my opinion.

Also, it may be beacuse it does not have a crash test rating from the NHTSA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts