Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of the SFE on 1/21/17 and as of today it has 104K on the clock.

I've replaced the battery and had it condition-inspected regularly. I change the oil when it tells me to. I'm about to replace spark plugs (just because it's past time), but mechanic says it is in very good shape overall for its mileage. Brakes are still good.

My driving profile suggests (confirmed by Torque) that out of those 104K miles, 90K of them were at highway speeds, where you turn on cruise and don't touch a pedal for 68 miles out of a 75-mile commute. Occasionally I'll take a detour and push the car a bit but that isn't often. So this is one of those high mileage recent vintage cars. It is also stock. I'm not really a 'car guy' (well I am, but not as much with this car as it's my daily)

I'm getting concerned about the timing belt. I accrue miles quickly so just for fun I called the dealer and they quoted me $3500. I asked why so much and he said it's expensive because it was not designed to be replaced. OK then.

$3500 puts one between a rock and a hard place because that is about the KBB trade value for the car. Is that a reasonable price, inline with what anyone else has experienced?

When they changed the phrase from 'lifetime belt' to 'every 150K' where did they get that number from? Or was it just some guy picking a number out of the air?

All this being said, I really enjoy the car for the most part, so what do you think is the best path to take? Has anyone broken a belt on one of these yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took delivery of the SFE on 1/21/17 and as of today it has 104K on the clock.

I've replaced the battery and had it condition-inspected regularly. I change the oil when it tells me to. I'm about to replace spark plugs (just because it's past time), but mechanic says it is in very good shape overall for its mileage. Brakes are still good.

My driving profile suggests (confirmed by Torque) that out of those 104K miles, 90K of them were at highway speeds, where you turn on cruise and don't touch a pedal for 68 miles out of a 75-mile commute. Occasionally I'll take a detour and push the car a bit but that isn't often. So this is one of those high mileage recent vintage cars. It is also stock. I'm not really a 'car guy' (well I am, but not as much with this car as it's my daily)

I'm getting concerned about the timing belt. I accrue miles quickly so just for fun I called the dealer and they quoted me $3500. I asked why so much and he said it's expensive because it was not designed to be replaced. OK then.

$3500 puts one between a rock and a hard place because that is about the KBB trade value for the car. Is that a reasonable price, inline with what anyone else has experienced?

When they changed the phrase from 'lifetime belt' to 'every 150K' where did they get that number from? Or was it just some guy picking a number out of the air?

All this being said, I really enjoy the car for the most part, so what do you think is the best path to take? Has anyone broken a belt on one of these yet?

Thanks!
What year is the car? I got the ST fiesta and I was thinking I needed to do the cam belt but looking in the manual it says 10 years. I forgotten what it said for kilometres but I had the car for 5 years so far. What did your owner's manual say?

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've got 151k on my 14 1.0L. I was quoted $2700 from my dealer to change it. (Called them out of curiosity) I put alot of highway miles on mine ~25k per year. I'm actually probably just going to drive it till it breaks and put a motor in it. No way I'm paying that much for a timing belt job. BTW it is 150k interval on the timing belt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread I'm tempted to rebuild a junker engine and replace the gearbox and clutch at the same time for that price. At least then I've have an overhauled engine for the bargain. Heck, I can probably do forged pistons/rods for that much!

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
Good for us that Ford is using the 1.0 in the Ecosports. Will be easy to grab a low mileage engine from LKQ when the time comes.

Reactions: dynasty_v6

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 151k on my 14 1.0L. I was quoted $2700 from my dealer to change it. (Called them out of curiosity) I put alot of highway miles on mine ~25k per year. I'm actually probably just going to drive it till it breaks and put a motor in it. No way I'm paying that much for a timing belt job. BTW it is 150k interval on the timing belt
I know one owner with 200k miles on their 1.0l EcoBoost fiesta and the only major repair job was the to replace the oil pump at 179k, so the timing belt won't be an issue just change the oil every 8k with synthetic and clean the carbon build-up every 50k and you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts