Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a really annoying high pitch noise when I go over 60 MPH. It's very annoying, like your ears are ringing type of noise with my manual transmission. Anyone else experiencing this as well?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
just gear noise.

I have the exact issue. I noticed it Happens loudest when your slowly losing speed at around 64 mph down to 60Mph.

I have a theory that ford put very thin trans lube in this thing to help mpg. The gear oil lets the trans spin with very little parasitic loss. I also think this oil is the culprit in the Reverse grinding issue.

Ill try a dump and fill of some Redline MT90 in the future

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I doubt it's the fluid in the manual transmission cars as it's the same oil used in virtually all Ford front wheel drive manual transmisssions for more than ten years.

P/N XT-M5-QS full sunthetic manual transmission oil.

The Auto trans uses a newer number fluid P/N XT-11-QDC that I'm not personally familiar with but again it's only in the Powershift cars.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hi,

I am sure that must be irritating. If you are concerned, I recommend asking your dealer about it. With this being such a new vehicle, you want to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Please let me know if I can help. Have a great day!

~Natasha

·
Registered
157 Posts
i honestly dont think its an issue. im pretty sure it happens with all of our 5 speeds. it just may be that the older croud cant quite hear the high pitched noise ;)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I used to have a Porsche with a rear transaxle and front engine. It was connected with a torque tube which is basically a drive shaft that runs at engine RPM.

Talk about a whine...it was a sweet noise though. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I am sure that must be irritating. If you are concerned, I recommend asking your dealer about it. With this being such a new vehicle, you want to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Please let me know if I can help. Have a great day!

~Natasha
Natasha - I have been to the dealer many times on this issue. They told me it was the characteristic of the car & will do nothing about the annoying noise. Even got Ford Engineers involved.....nothing came out of it. Was very disappointed!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine did the same thing in 5th gear but has slowly stopped making the noise after 2K miles.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Mine did the same thing in 5th gear but has slowly stopped making the noise after 2K miles.
got almost 6K here... It is a very faint noise, i kinda like it tho, it reminds you that your driving a machine

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 5sp and have not experienced this. Does it happen in any other gear- if you're crusing @ 60 and downshift to 4th but maintain speed, does the noise change or go away? Also, have you noticed if it is load related or not- does throttle position make a change? If you tip in or tip out does it get louder or quieter? Does it only happen at 60 or can you get it at different speeds? If different speeds- is it always the same tone, or does it change slightly with speed- ie. faster vehicle higher pitch?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the noise too. Only on the highway and I've noticed it's throttle related. If I let off it goes away. Kind of annoying but I just figured it's some kind of radio interference or something being as there are so many electronics in the car. Idk. I also notice the clutch pedal is very stiff after cruising on the highway for awhile too. Gotta pump it a little bit to make it go back to normal. Any of you guys feel that?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
its gear noise from the trans, 5th gear. Its typical noise when the driving gear is not pushing hard on the driven gear. That is why it only happens at light throttle.

no worries

·
Registered
100 Posts
its gear noise from the trans, 5th gear. Its typical noise when the driving gear is not pushing hard on the driven gear. That is why it only happens at light throttle.

no worries
Agree, no worries.

FYI it sounds almost exactly like a radio w/ a ground loop issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I also get a sound like this in my VW Rabbit, the Saturn I had before it, and my friends Scion tC does it too. I think it's pretty normal for a manual.

In my VW I didn't hear it when I got it but when I replaced the OEM tires with quieter ones I started noticing it. Maybe you should get louder tires :).

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hi all,

The noise does sound like it is a normal condition. As aspitaletto said, it does help to know it is a machine, and it quiets down with use. :) If it is concerning in any way, then I do recommend asking your dealer as they will be able to confirm that it is operating correctly.

~Natasha

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all,

The noise does sound like it is a normal condition. As aspitaletto said, it does help to know it is a machine, and it quiets down with use. :) If it is concerning in any way, then I do recommend asking your dealer as they will be able to confirm that it is operating correctly.

~Natasha
Natasha,

Even if it's a normal condition...IT'S ANNOYING! It like your ear ringing all the time. Try listening to that 30 minutes or longer at a time....DRIVE YOU CRAZY! So it's not normal & I have had mine since Nov 2010, it's hasn't quieted down yet. This is my only issue with the car so far & it's an annoying one!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the noise too. Only on the highway and I've noticed it's throttle related. If I let off it goes away. Kind of annoying but I just figured it's some kind of radio interference or something being as there are so many electronics in the car. Idk. I also notice the clutch pedal is very stiff after cruising on the highway for awhile too. Gotta pump it a little bit to make it go back to normal. Any of you guys feel that?

no worries
Okay- so if I understand this right, for burke it goes away at light throttle, and for aspitaletto it gets worse at light throttle. No wonder the service guys have a hard time!!

Anyway- are we sure we're all talking about the same noise? I have yet to hear it in my car, so I'm just going off what's posted. It does sound like it's either gear whine or possibly a wheel bearing (if it isn't gear dependent). If it's gear whine, but not in all cars, it could be a few different things, from tooth cut, to mesh interface, or simply a cable ground out. Gear whine won't hurt anything, but it can be very annoying. For those who are experiencing it, any details you can provide would be helpful, either to find a solution here, or to make life easier for the techs.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts