Fiesta Faction banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've the same problem with my 5 speed. It only occurs after 60 mph with light throttle. The sound is like a whistle sound.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm old enough that I don't hear high pitched sounds. I was diving over 60 today (rare for me), turned down the radio and turned off the fan. Sure enough it is there. My recommendation is to attend as many rock concerts as you can, and don't skimp on the good seats, you want to be close to the speakers. Alternatively you could join the Navy and work on the flight deck for a couple years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
whistling above 60MPH

The Service Dept did nothing for my noise. It sounds like the ringing your ear gets sometimes....except it only stop when you go below 60 MPH.
Did you ever find a fix for the whistling? I have a 2011 manual transmission SES and mine whistles too. it is driving me CRAAAAAZY and the pitch is such that the radio can't drown it out. my dealer claimed it was a wheel bearing and replaced that, but the whistle is still loud and proud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the noise is speed related. you can't hear it below 60. typically it kicks in after about 65 when accelerating. 65-80 is the whistling noise. doesn't matter how much wind is outside, but the whistle is louder in warm weather and when the car is warmed up a bit. when i stop accelerating the noise eases off -- but then all the other cars pass me :)

it's a high pitched noise almost like a dog whistle or ringing in your ears.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Natasha,

Even if it's a normal condition...IT'S ANNOYING! It like your ear ringing all the time. Try listening to that 30 minutes or longer at a time....DRIVE YOU CRAZY! So it's not normal & I have had mine since Nov 2010, it's hasn't quieted down yet. This is my only issue with the car so far & it's an annoying one!
just tak Autograph's advice... and turn up the radio! :D haha

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
the noise is speed related. you can't hear it below 60. typically it kicks in after about 65 when accelerating. 65-80 is the whistling noise. doesn't matter how much wind is outside, but the whistle is louder in warm weather and when the car is warmed up a bit. when i stop accelerating the noise eases off -- but then all the other cars pass me :)

it's a high pitched noise almost like a dog whistle or ringing in your ears.
That to me would point towards the noise being engine related and likely related to the throttle position.

If you're driving 65ish and put the car in neutral and coast with the throttle closed does the noise go away?

-Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
I get to hear this not so lovely noise every day. In my opinion it sounds almost like it is coming from the upper part of the engine bay. Almost like it could be intake cam related. I just do my best by drowning it out with the radio. Car doesn't seem to have any negative effects from it. I've honestly just guessed that it was the intake cam rotating at high rpm and it wouldn't surprise me to hear a noise from a specific part of such a quiet motor.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Pay attention to the revs the enigine is turning when you hear the noise, then try to duplicate it sitting still in your driveway by running the engine at the same RPM.

My guess is that it's got something to do with the engine air intake system, could even be the throttle body whistling.

-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took a Ford technician on a little drive with me today. He heard the whistle. He thinks it might be transmission-related. The sound goes away if I take my foot off of the accelerator so I'm sure it would disappear in neutral. I'll let you know what the techs figure out. The last time they thought it was a bearing on the right-hand side of the car, which clearly it wasn't since the noise is louder on the left side.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I took a Ford technician on a little drive with me today. He heard the whistle. He thinks it might be transmission-related. The sound goes away if I take my foot off of the accelerator so I'm sure it would disappear in neutral. I'll let you know what the techs figure out. The last time they thought it was a bearing on the right-hand side of the car, which clearly it wasn't since the noise is louder on the left side.
Taking your foot off the accelerator won't affect transmission speed, it only affects the throttle plate.

That's exactly why I think your issue is related to throttle position and not engine, transmission or wind noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly why I think your issue is related to throttle position and not engine, transmission or wind noise.
i don't know a whole lot about cars, but your reasoning makes sense. if the techs working on my car can't figure it out i will suggest that to them. in the meantime, i'm driving a rental silverado, which is quite the change from a fiesta. i feel like i'm inside of godzilla.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pay attention to the revs the enigine is turning when you hear the noise, then try to duplicate it sitting still in your driveway by running the engine at the same RPM.

My guess is that it's got something to do with the engine air intake system, could even be the throttle body whistling.

-Steve
I can't disagree with possible throttle plate being the cause, but your engine wouldn't have the same load on it sitting in the driveway as it does traveling at highway speeds. If it was a throttle plate issue, I would expect it would be more likely to have the ability to be duplicated under a no load condition at a higher rpm, which I haven't been able to duplicate (or at least notice over normal engine noise).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i feel like i'm inside of godzilla.
My dad has an Expedition I borrow from time to time so I understand, it's like going from a jet ski to piloting the Titanic.

I can't disagree with possible throttle plate being the cause, but your engine wouldn't have the same load on it sitting in the driveway as it does traveling at highway speeds. If it was a throttle plate issue, I would expect it would be more likely to have the ability to be duplicated under a no load condition at a higher rpm, which I haven't been able to duplicate (or at least notice over normal engine noise).
Very true, there are a lot of variables involved. I'm just trying to help narrow it down.

It may not be the throttle plate itself, it could be related to airflow through the intake system which does vary greatly depending on vehicle speed.

It could be something else entirely.

-Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very true, there are a lot of variables involved. I'm just trying to help narrow it down.

It may not be the throttle plate itself, it could be related to airflow through the intake system which does vary greatly depending on vehicle speed.

It could be something else entirely.

-Steve
Another thing I just thought of that I didn't take into account is that the throttle plate itself, even if pulling the same map with no load, would be in a different position, resulting in different conditions. Maybe if some tuning software becomes available and a new throttle, or possibly an entirely new induction system becomes developed, the variables could be narrowed down (as well as possible power added).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Another thing I just thought of that I didn't take into account is that the throttle plate itself, even if pulling the same map with no load, would be in a different position, resulting in different conditions. Maybe if some tuning software becomes available and a new throttle, or possibly an entirely new induction system becomes developed, the variables could be narrowed down (as well as possible power added).
You can't gain power by tuning the throttle plate, you can alter driveability and responsiveness though.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts