Fiesta Faction banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the same concern as well.

It's not a whistle. Period. My guess would be incorrect tolerances on the secondary shaft in the transmission or maybe just incorrectly designed bearing somewhere. Both of these are likely the same reason why I get a whine when the car is cold and clutch is out.

I get it under very, very slight load in 5th and when downshifting into second under zero engine load.

I don't find to be so annoying if my radio is on, but there are times that I like just driving in silence and that's when it's really noticeable and annoying. It's just a noisy transmission and one that instantly just make me feel like my car was poorly built and engineered.

What's worse is that I have to echo the same story that most people here have. Took it to dealership and they, naturally 1) Think it's normal since another Fiesta did it or 2) Can't seem to find the noise.

Either way, the dealer is just becoming more and more worthless to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Taking your foot off the accelerator won't affect transmission speed, it only affects the throttle plate.

It also changes contact angle on gears and well as stress and forces on shafts and bearings in the transmission.

I had this same issue but it is now gone after the transmission was removed and the case split to replace a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It also changes contact angle on gears and well as stress and forces on shafts and bearings in the transmission.

I had this same issue but it is now gone after the transmission was removed and the case split to replace a leaking gasket.
True but the simple act of pulling the trans and resealing it won't alter tolerances in the transmission gears or the internal setup and that's assuming they did actually pull it.

The only gasket in the entire IB5 is in the end cover towards the drivers side end of the trans and replacing it doesn't require splitting the main case of the trans open and likely wouldn't require removal of the trans from the car.

I suppose it is possible that they split the case and resealed it and the advisor simply said they replaced a gasket in error.

The main case halves are sealed with an anaerobic rigid flange sealant, no gaskets.

-Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
my whistle is GONE. the silence is golden.

my 2011 SES Fiesta had the high pitched whistling noise at around 70mph. The dealership said the noise was coming from the right-hand passenger side and replaced a wheel bearing. It didn't fix the whistle. I then took a technician on a road test with me and made him listen to the REAL whistle (which is actually far louder from the driver's side). It took almost a month of my car being in the shop, but they diagnosed it as a transmission problem, replaced the transmission, and now i drive in silence.

i want to be able to tell you EXACTLY what the paperwork says the dealer did to my fiesta to fix the whistle (since i'm not a "car person", but i think my paperwork is in the glove compartment and my Fiesta is back at the dealer for an air bag recall and a roof leak (no one likes a rainy interior).

I will update as soon as I have my paperwork back, as it sounds like that information would look like help.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My 5th makes a bit of noise under very light load...
2nd gear whines pretty great good under load.
It's just characters of the car I suspect.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey Faction!

If you're experiencing this noise, I want to investigate some ways I can help; all I need is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime contact number. I'll look into some options for you.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys! Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread rather than create a new one for the same issue. I am in the United Kingdom and have a 2011 1.6 petrol Fiesta with this exact issue. Just wondered if there has been any progress with a fix for this or if it's something we just have to live with because it's a characteristic of the gearbox? Thanks :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I am RESURRECTING this Thread. I am sooo Close to ditching this Vehicle on the side of the road and saying it got "Stolen" each night I drive home just to get rid of the Darn thing. This NOISE is insistent, I hear it at low speeds & highway speeds! It Drives me NUTTS!!! I can NOT stand it!

Anyone of these Ford Service Reps on here have any Info/Advice on this issue! Seems like its been happening for FAR too long!

2014 SE Manual 5200 miles has been happening since mile 1! I am over it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bumping this thread, it seems like I'm also part of the group where I hear the high pitch sound.

I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they can do, may have to swap back to the stock shifter since I had changed it to the CFM short shifter...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I couldn't drive my 2011 Fiesta over 55 MPH because the high pitch noise (some can't hear) was NERVE racking. I traded it in for a 2015 Fiesta SE Hatch 1.0L Manual.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just went out to discover the noise. I didn't even know my car would start without the radio being on. I was able to duplicate the noise on a 400 mile Fiesta S. I would describe it as a "tone" that my ears can pick up around 60 mph. I believe it's related to the input shaft rotating mass. If the car was in neutral coasting at 70 I kept RPM between 3k and 3.5k and there was no noise. It doesn't sound like gear noise to me, but I'm not as familiar with the newer double OD setups. I'd look to see some sort of electronic interference and then just shield those cables if it was a concern. There are a few cable masses I can see near the transaxle. It could be mechanical, then your only option would be different fluids. For me personally, it's not a bother. I had to listen for it specifically and have the radio off. If I wanted a numb isolated car I would have got a Buick. You could also get some dynomat and cover the fire wall. It's fairly accessible for a sub-compact.

Again, the best way to get lousy service at a dealership is to treat us like the enemy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's got to the point on my 2011 1.6 model that it doesn't bother me at all now. There are so many reports of the exact same issue that in my opinion is not a fault, and there is nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all. Noob here. I have the entry level Fiesta and love how much car I got for the $. It is a great commuter.

Except . . .

That humming sucks. Once you get tuned into it, it is very hard to ignore. Like someone else said on this thread, I wonder if it is drivetrain harmonics that might be fixed with thicker tranny fluid. But, when I go looking for compatible fluids for the 5-speed manual, I can't find any (whether the same viscosity or otherwise). I guess the Ford fluid has some additives that no one has emulated yet?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It is just gl4 rated without LSD additives, plenty of choices but after much research I don't think any of them will be better.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts