Fiesta Faction banner

How to make Fiesta actually faster?

60K views 120 replies 55 participants last post by  PCA-1 
#1 ·
i love my fiesta and all, its just that it's lacking in power. help!:)

#6 ·
There is not One mod that you will see any sort of substantial increase. But if you add a few different mods that add a few horses here and a couple there, you can add 10-15hp before you know it. The biggest thing is reducing the restrictions (no, not talking ecu). Reducing the weight will reduce the restriction on the engine (reducing the engine load), for example. Weight reduction will not add hp, but rather, free up the hp you already have. High flow intakes reduce air restriction, performance plug wires, etc.

#40 ·
What people have to realize is that CAI's prduce that extra hp near the engines upper rev limits. I had a Borla exhaust on my Dodge Magnum and I didn't feel anything but exhaust drone. Took it off after a few months. You are not going to feel a power increase by JUST putting a CAI on or JUSt an exhaust. If you are going that route, a CAI + exhaust + headers will make a difference. Might net 10-15 hp that way, but will cost you around $1300 if you do the work yourself. Cheapest big bang for the buck in terms of hp vs. $$ would be a nitrous kit. But then if not done properly you risk engine damage. A turbo or supercharger would be best, but then plan an easy 3k when all is said and done. And then what's the point of buying an economy car in the first place? May as well have spent the extra3k and gotten a more powerful car. Then you do mods like those and the trade in value takes a dump. Plus you may void the warranty. So a lot to consider. Personally for what it is, I didn't consider my Fiesta slow. Was still faster than some cars in it's class and once on the highway, had no problems going up steep hills. I surprised quite a few larger cars on the interstate when my Fiesta walked away from them. Compare the Fiesta to my 1986 Omni GLH which was considered a hot hatch at the time: 0-60 mph in 8.5 secs with a top speed of 110 mph from a 2.2L with 110 hp vs. the Fiesta 0-60 mph in 9.5-10 secs (depending on which magazine did the test) and a top speed of 118 mph from a 120 hp 1.6L. I think the Fiesta does very well.

#15 ·
They will not sell this kit outside of the UK.
I have asked.
They also require that you have the PCM re-tuned, something that cannot be done to the US cars.

I now have (or ordered) all of the parts of their kit except the tuning.

Dave

#16 ·
I compared the stock intake versus R2C CAI, in terms of speed, the results were almost the same and they are governed by the ECU. The maximum speed I was able to get with R2C CAI was 118 mph downhill, and on a flat road was 116 mph in fourth speed. When I evaluated the acceleration 0-60 mph, after several trials my best score was 9.5 seconds with R2C CAI. 0-60 mph 9,5 sec Ford Fiesta 2011 SES with R2C CAI - YouTube Unfortunatly I didn't do the same test with the stock intake so we can't compare. In my opinion, 0-60 mph lower than 10 seconds is very decent for a 1.6 L engine. This results should improve with a new exhaust system but as you know, this depends of many factors mencioned here.
Regards

#19 ·
Now you are comparing a 1.6L to a 2.6L and 3.0L.
I don't believe that is a valid comparison at all.

If you are saying that it took 2.6L or 3.0L to make the same HP as only 1.6L today then it validates the point that Fiesta has a great engine.

Dave

#20 ·
If you read his post, is a perfectly valid comparison. Saying that this motor is great because it's capable of 120hp for its size is silly, that's his point. Small motors have been making good power for decades, the motor we have is nothing special in that department.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

#21 ·
Dunno, but I had a 1.6(maybe 2.0?) in a Mercury Lynx, it's output was maybe 70 or 80hp... Though I wouldn't say the current motor is spectacular, it's a whole lot less scary on the hills! 100 hp/L is where engines begin to be beastly! Which would be pretty close to what the Fiesta would be pulling with not much help...

#22 ·
How is this for a comparioson ?

1958 MG-A Twin Cam.
1588 cc, almost 1.6L
108 hp at 6700 rpm
104 lbs/ft torque at 4500 rpm
Top speed 113 mph, maybe 115.
24 mpg highway
0-60 9.9 sec.
1/4 mile 18.1 at 80 mph
weight-2480 lbs
This for a two passenger sports car. Not a family economy car.
Hard to believe that we once drove cars with 36 HP.

#24 ·
Also keep in mind that the engines mentioned all required 93 octane and got lowsy gas mileage.

Todays engines are under a lot more restriction than even a few years ago.
Emissions once were a killer on power, now ways have been found to do both and still get decent gas mileage.
10 yrs ago, a 2 L engine got 130 HP.

#27 ·
I was just trying to make the point that an engine with an output of 75hp/L is not an impressive engine powerwise. It is a vast improvement over engines built 30 years ago, and even over some engines designed 10 years ago, but it is not a perfectly designed engine power output wise.

Fuel economy wise, todays engines are wonderfully designed. The major killer of gas mileage right now is weight. My 91 Tercel returned about 33-35MPG, weighed about 1500lbs, and came with nothing at all. No A/C, barely had a radio, no airbags ect. My Fiesta has about the same mileage, but weighs 2400 or so lbs with lots of nice creature comforts.

Back on topic though. The engine in a Fiesta will only produce more power if you can tune it yourself. The only way to do that right now is a megasquirt program and chip. Which means you will be a pioneer and build a program yourself, which you will then have to share with the comunity and be considered awesome.

The car now though is already a decently fast car by standards of 20 years ago. Econobox that gets to 60mph in under 10 seconds. My Tercel was slower then geology to get anywhere. So vast improvement there. There are just so many cheap fast cars out there that unless you really want to be unique there really isn't a point in making a econobox fast. Power to those who do it, I will just continue to get excellent gas mileage and use my other toys to go fast.

#26 ·
I am not going to say that my Fiesta is slow as snails, because it's not. However, I do have the 5 speed, which always seems to help. I can easily get up to 80 MPH with it and cruise out. I love it the way it is.

I am not too sure why people want to mod the Fiesta, because I don't think it will be a speed demon without some serious mods, then it just becomes weird because with the money you spent on making it fast, you probably could have had a very nice V8 car.

I don't worry about modding mine because the Mustang usually takes care of "go fast" needs.

#30 ·
I am not too sure why people want to mod the Fiesta, because I don't think it will be a speed demon without some serious mods,

Stick to Breathing mods and keep her light as you can, the Fiesta will be a very nice ride.

im sure swapping out the front seats for some light weight ones will yield 60-80 lbs of weight savings

#28 ·
Intake, exhaust (header, high flow or no cat, free flowing catback), imported camshafts, and AC delete kit will all make the Fiesta faster in terms of increasing power and torque.

Another option to make the Fiesta faster is to reduce weight. Use ultra lightweight, small diameter wheels and tires will reduce the rotating mass the engine needs to accelerate and brake. Remove the back seats, carpet, HVAC, radio/infotainment, interior trim, install kevlar or carbon fiber seats, scrape all the sound deadening material off the floorpan, add polycarbonate side windows, and cutting the bracing out of the hood will make the car faster. I did all of that, except for the windows, to my Mustang as a way to increase performance in both accelerating, braking, and handling. It does make for a car that is less than totally streetable. I also did this to my ZX3 and it got old for a daily driver.

#42 ·

Another option to make the Fiesta faster is to reduce weight. Use ultra lightweight, small diameter wheels and tires will reduce the rotating mass the engine needs to accelerate and brake. Remove the back seats, carpet, HVAC, radio/infotainment, interior trim, install kevlar or ca
I did this exact idea to my PROBE V6, took the 1/4 mile times down 1.6 of a second, and helped the trap speed by 4MPH.

my biggest gain was ditching the stock chrome 16 wheels, for a set of Lw 18" wheels, THE combination of better traction and nearly 10Lbs PER WHEEL less weight gave me .6 in the 1/4 mile!

#31 ·
I thought I remember my ZX3 seats weighing around 70 pounds, so both are 140 pounds. The RaceTech seat in my Mustang weighs around 20 pounds. Repacing factory seats with lightweight racing seats could easily remove 100 pounds. I thought the rear seat cusion and seat backs were around 50 pounds. Since there is a relationship between weight and power, the less weight there is, the less power needed to accelerate it. The stock Fiesta weighs 2575 lbs and has 120 hp, so a power to weight ratio of 21.5. For each 21.5 pounds removed, the car behaves like it has 1 more hp. Removing the rear seats and replacing the fronts with lightweight seats would be same as an engine mod that makes 7hp. Ok, so add a cold air intake for 5hp, remove 150 pounds of weight from the chassis, add a complete exhaust that is good for 5hp (low estimate since I don't have actual numbers) and the Fiesta will perform as if it has 137hp. Add ultralight wheels/tires and the acceleration and braking get much better. This is how you make the Fiesta fast without any tuning.

#32 ·
Could anyone link to some good kits on Amazon? I'm getting a 2013 Fiesta Hatchback S when I get back to the states. Really excited for my first new car! I don't know that much about cars because I've never had one I liked. Now, I have a reason to learn. Already have a new receiver and speakers picked out for it!

#37 ·
Since "faster" usualy means acceleration or trap speed in he 1/4 mile rather than out right speed, In which th Fiesta can exceed any speed limit in the country.
The only way to make the car accelerate better is to increase power and lower the weight.
Difficult to do and keep it street legal.
I was able to remove app. 100 Lbs from my ZX2SR. A lot of it was remove oz's here, a lb. there.
The biggest reduction was a light weight battery, 35lbs lighter.
I could have gone further but I wanted to keep it comfortable for DD.
No light weight seats or removal.
With so called "bolt ons" I think I gained about 10 hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.