Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question since Ford apparently doesn't feel the need to reset my oil life when they change my oil. I have looked through the manual probably five times and cannot find where to reset it. So, how do you do this?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
To reset the oil service light (a picture of a wrench and an oil can), use the following procedure:
1. With the ignition in the off position, press the brake and accelerator pedals.
2. For keyed vehicles, turn the key to the accessory position; for pushbutton start vehicles, press the Start/Stop button once quickly. Do not start the engine.
3. Press the accelerator and brake pedals fully for 20 seconds.
4. “Engine Oil Change Due Next Service” and the oil service light will display.
5. Turn the vehicle off. The message and lights will be cleared.
Seems like the warning has to be lit though.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeh, my dealer seems to forget to reset the oil monitoring system too and everytime I call him on it, he apologizes and gives me another free oil change. I have the PB Start on my Fiesta. Whether you have a key or the PB Start, put the ignition to the 'On' position. Press both the brake pedal and accelerator fully for 20 seconds until 'Engine Oil Change Due Next Service' and the icon (wrench with oil lamp) appears. The instructions are noted in my manual on pg. 23 under 'Instrument Cluster'. They are wrong however for owners who have the PB start.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Press down on both the gas & brake pedals, then push the 'engine start' button once. Continue to hold down the gas & brake pedals for 20 seconds. This will clear the oil change reminder from the sync screen, as well as clearing the reminder light from the cluster.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're lucky!

Yeh, my dealer seems to forget to reset the oil monitoring system too and everytime I call him on it, he apologizes and gives me another free oil change. I have the PB Start on my Fiesta. Whether you have a key or the PB Start, put the ignition to the 'On' position. Press both the brake pedal and accelerator fully for 20 seconds until 'Engine Oil Change Due Next Service' and the icon (wrench with oil lamp) appears. The instructions are noted in my manual on pg. 23 under 'Instrument Cluster'. They are wrong however for owners who have the PB start.
I have 6 coupons for half off oil changes that I got whenever I first purchased the car. They gave me them since I had the major oil leak. I tried using one today and got a, "We only accept those on the first oil change" reply... I'm soooooo pissed!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been trying to clear mine since it lit up over 3 months ago. I'd had my oil changed at 6000 miles. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) just a short, quick tap on my start button starts my engine so it doesn't clear the code.:confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh, I see. I have a 5-speed so the car won't start unless the clutch is depressed.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've been trying to clear mine since it lit up over 3 months ago. I'd had my oil changed at 6000 miles. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) just a short, quick tap on my start button starts my engine so it doesn't clear the code.:confused:
That's what I'm saying. The Owner's Manual doesn't offer accurate instructions for those with the PB start. I have the PB start and the way I reset the monitoring system is by performing the following:

1. Push the Start Button without pressing brake to put the ignition in the 'on' position and not starting the car.
2. Press the brake and accelerator fully for 20 seconds until the message and idiot light is cleared.
3. Push the Start button again to turn off.
4. Done

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you!!! That worked! I'll be sure to tell the mechanics at work about that. Thanks, again!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thank you!!! That worked! I'll be sure to tell the mechanics at work about that. Thanks, again!
Yeah with the push button if you press the start button without pressing the brake it is the equivlent of turning a key ignition to on but not trying to start the engine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The mechanics at work say, "Thanks!" We've sold several with PB start and they are expecting the others to be coming in for oil changes soon.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know.
Not too sure if it's true.

My light came on at 8600 or so after changing and attempting a reset at 3600 or so. If they are set to come on at 5k then the reset worked without the light.

If not, then I guess it didn't? :confused:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Except mine came on at 8600 and 9mo so.....

Hmm...maybe a year since first start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For posterity's sake..

The manual is wrong for the keyed vehicles as well. The ignition must be in the on position, not accessory. I also found that I had to remove my floor mats to allow the accelerator to be depressed fully. I didn't notice any interference from the mats though, but the procedure wouldn't work otherwise. The floor mats may have been coincidence.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Right I found that to be true.
The first time, I tried it in accesory positon, no good.
Then did it in the On position.
Works every time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for posting this correction. Just tried the procedure over the phone with my daughter the other night and it didn't work, so she decided to just ignore the light till she takes the car in for the next oil change. Now I can tell her to use On instead of Accessory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts