Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you store your keyfobs? I want to buy a couple of small pouches to hold both sets, but can't locate anything so far. We want to keep them as clean/scratch-free as possible, since I've heard the replacement cost of these keyfobs runs around $300 or so.

Harry

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Any time I have keyless access/start fobs I just toss them in my pocket or briefcase. Friends of mine just leave them on their home key rings.

For something that small, you're probably going to need to look at pouches outside of the automotive world, such as electronics or cellular. I'd just make sure it's handy enough that you can carry around with you, in case you need to use the key.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
the key fobs are around $30 to replace, not $300. I keep mine in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I think the fobs are $31.33 for just keyless entry, and $46.66 with push start.

The added expense is usually when someone loses one of the fobs for "normal" keys, and has only one left. So, they have to take the car to the dealership to have ALL sets reprogrammed. I always recommend people buy an extra key and remote, and have it stored safely in case something happens to one of the fobs and keys.

For Intelligent Access, it's different: I just re-read the owner's manual. If you have the Intelligent Access System, then it looks like you cannot program the remotes yourself :( Ford is saying you need to take ALL your fobs into the dealer for reprogramming. So, that will probably mean at least $100/hour in labour costs. My experience has been dealers can charge up to at least an hour's worth of time for reprogramming. So, the $300 may not be that far off. :(

·
Registered
984 Posts
Where do you store your keyfobs? I want to buy a couple of small pouches to hold both sets, but can't locate anything so far. We want to keep them as clean/scratch-free as possible, since I've heard the replacement cost of these keyfobs runs around $300 or so.

Harry
I don'y really store my fobs anywhere while driving other than in my pocket. Once I get to work I just put it in the top of my toolbox. When I get home I put it by my wallet just like any other key. I don't treat this KEY any different than any other keys that I have had in the past.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Spare set is hanging up with the spares to my Mustang and our Escape. The other fob is on my keyring that I just put in my pocket when I leave the house. The fob does get scratched up and it can look fairly rough after a year depending on what is on your key ring. The EU fob had a chrome ring around the buttons, and that was all scratched on mine after a year. The Ford oval also takes some abuse.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What happens when key FOB battery dies?

So they put a spare key in the FOB in case the battery dies. That's great. Once you get in the car, how do you start it? I mean, the vehicle has to recognize the key FOB; but, if the battery in it is dead, how will the car start?

I admit I haven't read the entire Owner's Manual. Most of my reading has been devoted to knowing and understanding SYNC.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
if the battery in the car is dead, it won't start. :)

You will start to notice if the key fob battery starts to die as you won't be able to lock and unlock your car from as far away. When you need to walk right upto the car to get the fob to work, then get a new battery. I have only replaced one battery in the past 10 years of having key fobs.

The bigger question is how do you steer the Fiesta when it has a dead battery and the steering wheel is locked.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Based on what it says in the owner's manual, there doesn't seem to be a "key" ignition. What Ford does talk about is if there is a lot of interference and you have to hold the fob in a specific area near the steering column, as the whole thing operates using radio frequency.

I swore someone had posted something about being able to move the wheels when the car is off...I'll have to find that post.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The bigger question is how do you steer the Fiesta when it has a dead battery and the steering wheel is locked.
Wouldn't it be like any other car when you do not have power assist (if you can unlock the steering -- in another thread someone mentioned that cars with the RFID key and pushbutton start did not have steering locks)? I.e. steering requires more effort.

Granted, the Fiesta's small steering wheel may make it somewhat more difficult than you may remember from old cars without power steering. A 1980s Honda Civic with non-power steering was not too difficult to steer, but it was lighter and had a larger steering wheel. Old VW Beetles steered easily with non-power steering, but were even lighter and had steering wheels that were huge by today's standards.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So they put a spare key in the FOB in case the battery dies. That's great. Once you get in the car, how do you start it? I mean, the vehicle has to recognize the key FOB; but, if the battery in it is dead, how will the car start?

I admit I haven't read the entire Owner's Manual. Most of my reading has been devoted to knowing and understanding SYNC.
Yes Ford put it in the FOB with the Intelligent Entry System. If the battery in the car is dead then you wouldn't be able to get in the car without a key or open the hold to either replace the car battery or jump start it. To get to the key in the FOB just press in on the sides of the FOB at the end with the key chain loop and then lift up the Ford emblem and the key is under that.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You will start to notice if the key fob battery starts to die as you won't be able to lock and unlock your car from as far away. When you need to walk right upto the car to get the fob to work, then get a new battery.
I don't even use the buttons on the remote to unlock or lock the doors or rear hatch. I just walk up and use the button in the door handle or under the rear hatch trim.
If I had to pull the remote out and push the buttons on it that would defeat the purpose of the feature for me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
if the battery in the car is dead, it won't start. :)
I don't know about your car, but the steering wheel in mine doesn't lock!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I don't know about your car, but the steering wheel in mine doesn't lock!
It would on the EU Fiesta, and when the GPS tracker would drain the battery, I had to figure out how to move a car that could not be steered.

LMTech, I usually use the key fob buttons once a week to double check my car is locked from a distance, otherwise I use the buttons on the door handle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My only concern with the keyless ignition is that I will walk away with the fob in my pocket if I go to a store or restaurant with valet parking and they can't start the car after I leave. Oops........

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It won't start unless the fob is in the car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It won't start unless the fob is in the car.
Precisely. Keeping the fob in your pocket is a great idea....until you realize that the kid in the valet parking lot can't start your Fiesta.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Buttons on door handle

A quick question regarding this thread:

I usually unlock the car too my just pressing the button on the door handle; very convenient. What I haven't been able to do is unlock the passenger doors in the same fashion. What am I not doing? My wife and kids get annoyed with me when I can't unlock the doors right away so I end up pulling the FOB out of my pocket.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A quick question regarding this thread:

I usually unlock the car too my just pressing the button on the door handle; very convenient. What I haven't been able to do is unlock the passenger doors in the same fashion. What am I not doing? My wife and kids get annoyed with me when I can't unlock the doors right away so I end up pulling the FOB out of my pocket.
You should be able to unclock the driver & passenger doors at the same time by pressing the button on the driver door twice before pulling on the handle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts