Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post. I have an SES 5-speed manual, and today I installed an illuminated gear shift knob. The installation was mostly straight forward, but the instructions were terrible. The shifter is always illuminated, and that doesn't seem right. Does anybody else have this shifter knob? Is it always illuminated?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my illuminated shifter installed at the dealer. I was in the garage with the technician and it took him 1.5 hours to get it in. It looked complicated! But an answer to your question, yes, it's always illuminated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. Sure looks strange to walk by the car in the garage and see it lit up. Wonder if there is really any significant drain on the battery?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
you mean it's illuminated even when the Fiesta is powered off? that can't be good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went out the car and I must correct the post I wrote..the shifter lights should be off when the headlights are turned off but it does illuminate only when the headlights are on. When I parked the car and turned off the lights and ignition, the knob turned off, so I think you need to check it out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you still have the instructions that came with your shifter? I ordered mine from Partscheap.com. The instructions that came with the shifter were dated 2008, obviously from a euro model. The instructions said to splice into pin 20 and showed a 22 pin connector. The car actually has a 24 pin connector, and some of the wire colors didn't match the instructions. I spliced into pin 20 anyway, but obviously that isn't correct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you still have the instructions that came with your shifter? I ordered mine from Partscheap.com. The instructions that came with the shifter were dated 2008, obviously from a euro model. The instructions said to splice into pin 20 and showed a 22 pin connector. The car actually has a 24 pin connector, and some of the wire colors didn't match the instructions. I spliced into pin 20 anyway, but obviously that isn't correct.
Sorry my post wont help your problem but, how do you like the illuminated shift knob? Do you think that it is worth the extra $$ over the leather wrapped non illuminating knob?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry my post wont help your problem but, how do you like the illuminated shift knob? Do you think that it is worth the extra $$ over the leather wrapped non illuminating knob?
I think so. It sure looks nice at night with the rest of the panel lit up. Now if I can just figure out which wire to hook the darn thing up to. I went back to Partscheap.com with my issue, and they are trying to get the 2011 install instructions from Ford for me. My dealer is no help. :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dealer ordered and installed the shifter, so I don't have the instructions. The illuminated shifter is larger, ergonomically (sp?) curved with leather on the back side. I like it alright, but I don't know if it's worth it to pay for it as an accessory. Mine came with the car as a dealer install, but I'm not just super excited about it like I thought I would be. The shifter looks nice at night, but my hand covers it most of the time, so it's not much of an improvement visually. I'm getting the dealer installed door sills put in next week. I think I'll like that alot. Can you guys believe they tried to sell me the car with the illuminated interior package ($410) on the sticker, without having them on the car already? My dealer tried to tell me that the ambient lighting WAS the illuminated interior package, and I had to set him and managment straight!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I think so. It sure looks nice at night with the rest of the panel lit up. Now if I can just figure out which wire to hook the darn thing up to. I went back to Partscheap.com with my issue, and they are trying to get the 2011 install instructions from Ford for me. My dealer is no help. :cool:
you can download the installation instructions from Ford Accessories |The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories |FordAccessories.com
click on Tech Specs then Keyword Search: Fiesta and click the link.
Fiesta (2011-CMY) Illuminated Gear Shift Knob Installation Instructions

·
Registered
447 Posts
if you have a dvom, just run a continuity test from the power wire for your headlights to the correct wire under the dash. splice your power wire for the shift knob into there and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your replies. I did go download the manual from the Ford site, but it is also dated 2008 and is identical to the one I have. I'm going to have the dealer rewire it when I go in for my "free" 3,000 mile oil change. That should just be another week or so, then I should be all good. I'll be interested to see how they wire it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you ever find the correct installation instructions for this (like from Partscheap)? I'd like to install one but would ike to know which wire to take power from first.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never could get the correct install instructions, and I really don't think that they even exist. I ended up at the dealer for a free oil change and had them rewire it. They agreed that the instructions that come with the shifter are not correct for the car, and he just asked me how I would like it to work and he would hook it up to a wire to provide power when I want it. I told him I want it to illuminate ANY time the car is powered, regardless of if the headlights are on or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes. It's just a shift knob.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I never could get the correct install instructions, and I really don't think that they even exist. I ended up at the dealer for a free oil change and had them rewire it. They agreed that the instructions that come with the shifter are not correct for the car, and he just asked me how I would like it to work and he would hook it up to a wire to provide power when I want it. I told him I want it to illuminate ANY time the car is powered, regardless of if the headlights are on or not.
I don't suppose you know where they wired to or would be willing to take a peek and see if you can tell?

Or has anyone else installed this and found a good location? I've installed the illuminated knob for now (much better than the stock one), but haven't wired it up at all, and haven't done any exploring of the wiring on my own.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll take apart my counsel and snap a photo of which wire mine is spliced into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts