Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Looks to a typical CAI, which work very well until deep water or snow find a way into the filter area. The other downfall is you get a lot of sand particles from the intake being that low. I ran an AEM CAI with pretty good luck on my ZX3, and swapped it out for a short ram in the winter. The short ram sucked in hot air in the summer and was worthless, and the CAI got packed with snow in the winter. Swapping intakes worked good. My favorite intake is the Pipercross intake that uses the stock upper air box, and adds a new lower with retaining the stock filter location and size. I may think about that one in the future.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think somebody needs to do a better job than what Injen has done. The intake is much too low for my liking and I agree with BRGT350 on concerns with snow and water. There's got to be a better way and I'm sure somebody will find it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see any problem with the Injen CAI. I ran one in my Eclipse I owned previously year round and never had one issue with rain or snow. I live in New Jersey so we do get snow pretty often and a lot at times. With rain you would have to literally start submerging the filter in water for it to reach your engine, just going through small puddles will not cause an issue. It should be shielded by the car anyway. If its still an issue then they usually sell a guard for the intake that will help to further block, snow, rain, and debris, but I never saw it as necessary.

It also gives the car a nice growl at full throttle which is awesome. And once you get over the noise you will also notice that it helps to increase your MPG.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
nice! I'd like to see exactly where they place the filter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think I'm going to see Ford Racing's intake before I jump on any purchases. The injen one is fine, I've ran intakes on every car I've owned and never had a problem with water, or any other issues, and I live on an island that floods all the time.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had CAIs too but the inlets were pretty high and protected and I agree that you would have to practically submerge the car to ingest any water. The photo on the Injen set-up makes it hard to see how low the CAI filter sits and what is actually below it in the Fiesta's engine compartment.

Good question on whether it's a prototype or production unit as I'm curious on cost; but, I think too, I'll be waiting to see what Ford Racing comes up with.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Under the headlight assembly?

Looks like it curves around and rests under the headlight housing. You would have water in the floorboards before you would have water in the intake at that location.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For those who are willing to wait a little bit longer, the CFM intake will be one of the better (if not the best) intakes on the market. Here are some of the planned features:

-Can be used as a short ram or fenderwell cold air intake
-Optional bypass valve to prevent hydrolock when using cold air version
-Different colors available, including matching silicone couplers
-Air filter pre-filter included to keep filter cleaner longer and repel water
-Race version option which flows even more air and requires custom ECU calibration

·
Registered
522 Posts
For those who are willing to wait a little bit longer, the CFM intake will be one of the better (if not the best) intakes on the market. Here are some of the planned features:

-Can be used as a short ram or fenderwell cold air intake
-Optional bypass valve to prevent hydrolock when using cold air version
-Different colors available, including matching silicone couplers
-Air filter pre-filter included to keep filter cleaner longer and repel water
-Race version option which flows even more air and requires custom ECU calibration
But is it going to be CARB approved?

·
Registered
58 Posts
But is it going to be CARB approved?
Carb approved = not worth buying.

That's similiar to the "tuning not required".

I've done countless intake tests before and after, tuned and not tuned, and the intakes that actually require tuning have always won hands down on performance, intake air temps, and fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I agree with Mike, to take full advantage of a new intake, the PCM should be tuned accordingly. As for now, I will hold off on any intake as I see what comes out in the future. I have tried so many different intakes on my ZX3 and was never really happy with any of them for daily use. My brother has the hot ticket with his Focus sedan. He installed a SVT Focus airbox and snorkel and noticed a decent gain in performance, sound, and best of all, it looks and protects just like stock. The Pipercross intake that uses the stock filter size, stock upper airbox housing, and just replaces the lower airbox is really interesting.

Something to think about for intakes. Some work outstanding sitting with the hood up on a dyno. The key is to find one that works well for daily use, provides good performance, and good filter protection. It sounds like CFM has the right idea.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
So... I installed an Injen cold air intake on my Fiesta.
Injen cold air intake | Facebook
it's a 2 piece system so you can use it as a cold air or short ram. the short ram configuration places the filter under the hood, higher off the ground if you're concerned about water injection. the cold air configuration places the filter behind the corner of the front fascia in front of the windshield washer fluid reservoir next the the supplemental LED parking lamp bumper insert. it's protected by from below by the air dam.
enjoy!
Oh yeah it sounds awesome and supposedly adds 6 hp and 7 lb-ft of torque. you can feel it working. more pep from 2000-4000 rpm. it screams from 4000-6500 rpm.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts