Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered or looked at putting on an 'Invisible bra'? It's a plastic paint shield (5 m. 3M plastic material) on the front end that keeps stone chips away. You usually find it on high end cars. I had it done on my '05 Mustang and it was a great investment that worked really well. I think the front end of the Fiesta would greatly benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have it on my Focus, and friends of mine have it on their cars as well.

I find it's good for most things. However, you may find that really big debris like metal chunks can go right through the film. I think the newer film forumlations don't yellow as much as the earlier ones. I don't see it being that expensive for the hood or front edges of the fenders. However, that bumper and surface area might make it a bit pricey if you're willing to cover those areas up.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Try a strapless! ;b

When you say not too expensive, what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think it's waste of money. My high milage cars never had problems with chips. Paints are really good. My problem have heen bugs that are hard to clean off. I waxed the front right away so hopefully they will was off easier.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Try a strapless! ;b

When you say not too expensive, what do you mean?
Clear bra treatments can vary in price. Some places use quality stuff, and some places use cheap stuff. Some places cut by hand; others use a die-cutter/plotting machine that cuts out panel sizes. Some installers charge more, especially if it is to be applied on a very difficult body panel (like curves or lots of body creases and lines).

Basic treatments (leading edge of hood and maybe front fenders) can be $100 to $200, depending on how far up the hood you go, and what else is involved. You can get into several hundreds of dollars if you want the front bumper, lights, grille, and front hood/fenders.

One good thing about clear bras: they don't chafe the surface underneath :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm getting just the front fender done with scotchguard. I'd do the front section of the hood, but it leaves a line I have no problem noticing and then you'll also have wear on one section of the hood that is different from the other section which is also one of the reasons why I wouldn't do the whole hood. The front fender sections off from the rest of the car nicely and will be hard to tell anything is on it in contrast to the ajacent section that has no scotchguard and really that's where the brunt of any rock chips will be anyway.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was told by my stripe man that to properly add the vinyl on the full front (they digitize the car to make a perfect fit) costs about $800-1000!:eek:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I was told by my stripe man that to properly add the vinyl on the full front (they digitize the car to make a perfect fit) costs about $800-1000!:eek:
With that many curved surfaces and huge amount of surface area, I wouldn't doubt it if it's at least $500 or more. Cutting the film isn't bad. It's the labour that you need to get around the curves, getting out air bubbles, making sure things are on nice, etc.

I'm sure the cost will come down once prefab kits come out. However, at a cost of $800 or more, that's when people will figure out what can be sacrificed (i.e. be left unprotected and just get a decent repaint after x number of years/miles).

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only like it on lights to protect those. Not on the paint though, it only covers so much, I know its basically the part that will get the most abuse but have a perfect front bumper while your mirrors and top of the hood is sandblasted looks just as bad. Plus I notice where the seams are, kinda bugs me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a Clear Bra installed on mine, cost 600$ CAD. I did it in first week that I got that car, and I must say that they did an impressive job !

They installed it on the A-Pillars, Mirrors, Hood, Bumber and Front wheel fenders. As an extra, I asked him to install a strip on the top of the rear bumber to protect it while loading/unloading the hatch.

Wish I could post pictures of it, but you wouldn't see it since it's invisible !

I got it done at Kanata Ford/SpeedMerchants.
speedmerchants.com

Ask for Pat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
AutoTrim Design did my clear bra for $200 and tinted all windows except windshield for $300. So for $500 I got all windows tinted and clear bra.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had the 3m bra on my 09 mustang gt. It was a $600 potion. Unless you live in a place where you get alot of chips(gravel road) its not worth it. Also if you need to get any paint work it normally means buying the whole kit(another $600) and some insurance coompanys will not cover it.

I had a lady ram her cart into my drivers side fender at sams club. They had to buy a whole new 3m kit for the car to get the fender piece.

also it really shows up on black and red paint.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Has anyone considered or looked at putting on an 'Invisible bra'? It's a plastic paint shield (5 m. 3M plastic material) on the front end that keeps stone chips away. You usually find it on high end cars. I had it done on my '05 Mustang and it was a great investment that worked really well. I think the front end of the Fiesta would greatly benefit from it.
I have brought this up before, on my Mach 1 I have an Xpel installed by a dealer. Awesome!! Upon installation they give you a cream to keep it clean made just for it. It is laser cut from a pattern or they can wrap the entire front. Already have an appointment for the Fiesta when I get it. They have a new plastic that is "self-healig". It comes right off too. Saw installer take a car that had wrap on for two years, he grabbed an end and peeled it off like saran wrap!:D Wow on the prices, mine is getting done by a authorized installer for $300.00, same guy(Mach was $350 and he hand wrapped and cut entire front bumper and airdam, pricing must be by area.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a good idea I wish I would of done it on my car right when I get it. I will remember that for my next car. I will have it put on before it leaves the dealer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I could go back and do it again before winter I'd spend the money for sure. My front fascia has about 1000 stone chips in it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
This is a good idea I wish I would of done it on my car right when I get it. I will remember that for my next car. I will have it put on before it leaves the dealer.
The only drawback with that is the dealer will probably charge you extra for this if it is done before you take delivery.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just saw this thread and read through everything. I wish I had put the clear protection when I first started the thread (more than 2 years ago). The front of my Fiesta after 40K miles is full of specs and pits from road debris. My next new car will definitely get this.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Just saw this thread and read through everything. I wish I had put the clear protection when I first started the thread (more than 2 years ago). The front of my Fiesta after 40K miles is full of specs and pits from road debris. My next new car will definitely get this.
Make a call to Dr Colorchip, awesome product and truly is the cure for road rash, have used on the Mach with excellent, easy to apply results (no, I am not a paid sponser-just a client).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Make a call to Dr Colorchip, awesome product and truly is the cure for road rash, have used on the Mach with excellent, easy to apply results (no, I am not a paid sponser-just a client).
I also love Dr. Colorchip. Follow the instructions and you will probably end up with a better match than if you bought the touchup paint directly from Ford.

I need to do this again on my other car but I just need to find some time to do it.

Note: when using Dr. Colorchip (or any touchup paint for that matter) make sure you don't forget to blend the paint before it dries or you will never get it off. I learned first hand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts