Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have assumed this was just an attribute of these cars since buying mine, but as it continues to annoy me over time, I thought I'd ask if what I am experiencing is common. It is certainly something I have never experienced in any other manual transmission car I've owned... I seem to remember hearing at least one other person complain about this.

Often when I am stopped, and try to shift into reverse, it won't go all the way into reverse. If you aren't paying attention, you think that it is in reverse, until lifting up on the clutch produces a scary grinding noise that doesn't stop until you push the clutch back into the middle. Sometimes (maybe around 50% of the time), using more force will get it to go all the way into Reverse, other times it will not go no matter how hard you press, and the solution is to hold it pulled towards reverse while you let up the clutch, then it will pop in as it starts to engage.

I've gotten used to it and always use caution when shifting into reverse to prevent grinding gears. The problem is that whenever somebody ELSE drives my car, they make the same mistake.

Why can't it just easily shift into reverse like other cars? If it is not something that is expected, what do I need to do to seek a warranty repair?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The Fiesta has no synchro on its reverse gear. Try the following: 1. push in clutch 2. place the transmission into first or third gear 3. without releasing clutch, move shifter into reverse. 4. release clutch slowly and go backwards. I keep light pressure on my reverse gear position and release the clutch slowly. All Fiestas are the same this way, as were the older model Focus. It's annoying at first, but do it often enough and it becomes second nature.

Sent from my iPhone using flares, semaphore and messenger goats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same annoying problem here but I read some others say shifting into second then reverse will make it easier to go in and that's what I do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
nearly all manuals are non-synchro for reverse. I've experienced it once or twice but generally I haven't had the problem. If you're pretty comfortable with manuals, try just slowing down a bit on reverse. It won't like RPM or much movement to get into gear better.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Every 5 spd. I have owned ,there have been a few, have had this issue. There is nothing wrong with the transmission.
Just read what Frantz ad others have said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find going into 3rd gear before reverse helps. I've also had mine pop out of reverse twice now since owning my car. I'm considering taking it into the dealer. Never had this problem in any other manual I've owned.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I find going into 3rd gear before reverse helps. I've also had mine pop out of reverse twice now since owning my car. I'm considering taking it into the dealer. Never had this problem in any other manual I've owned.
How many miles do you have? I had this on my car at first as it popped out a few times. Shifting into "any" forward gear first and no problems using reverse. I did take it into the dealer for this issue. I watched as they tried to get it to grind over and over and nothing. I give them credit for trying so many times. They couldn't reproduce the issue. Now I can't either at 25k. For safety sake, I still shift into a forward gear first. Haven't had this problem in several thousand miles. Seems to have gone away. Hopefully your situation does as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many miles do you have? I had this on my car at first as it popped out a few times. Shifting into "any" forward gear first and no problems using reverse. I did take it into the dealer for this issue. I watched as they tried to get it to grind over and over and nothing. I give them credit for trying so many times. They couldn't reproduce the issue. Now I can't either at 25k. For safety sake, I still shift into a forward gear first. Haven't had this problem in several thousand miles. Seems to have gone away. Hopefully your situation does as well.
My car is only a 1 1/2 month old with 2.5k miles. I don't have any issue with forward gears only with reverse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't have that problem with the '14 fiesta sfe I used to have. My current fiesta st does not have it either. I've owned approximately 80 cars in my life so far, some of which have been manuals. None of them did that. That is not normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
As stated in this thread and the other thread, the tranny's reverse gear is non-synchronized. Many, if not most, manual tranny's are of this design. With that being said it can be expected that going into reverse gear might result in gear grinding. Do what everyone says above plus be deliberate when pulling the shift lever back into position and you can just about avoid any grinding.

I have two manual tranny Fiestas. My 14 1.0 easily goes into reverse. My 15 requires that I am more deliberate in pulling back the shifter. I suspect the difference is the linkage and how it was installed. I have not taken a look underneath to compare.

·
Registered
112 Posts
every manual fiesta I've driven and talked to other manual owners does the odd thing where it won't go into reverse perfectly. If it doesn't go right in for me, I put a little pressure on it to go into reverse while slowly letting the clutch pedal out, once I feel it click in, I reverse normally. If it doesn't go into reverse with some slight persuasion, have other people try it and ask about it next time you're at ford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 5 speed 86 Jetta was a pain to get into reverse sometimes as well. Put a short shift kit on it and it seemed to solve the problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've done this many times. it's user error. the throw on these shifters is very long. I bet if you upgrade to the short throw shifter it will eliminate them problem.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Short throw won't fix the reverse issue. The only sure fire way to replicate the problem (only about 30 percent at that), put clutch in, start car, shift into reverse. Since the gears aren't spinning correctly, it won't go in properly. To prevent it, start car, let clutch out in neutral and push clutch back in, now shift to reverse. 5his works for me every time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Short throw may help, since it SEEMS like it is in Reverse until the grinding sound comes. The worst part is that it will sit there continuing to grind until you move the shifter back up to Neutral. I have gotten instinctive at that as well as being deliberate and sensitive to the feel but every time my wife does it she sits there staring at me with a confused and apologetic look on her face while leaving it grinding. :( Usually I drive lol. Seems to me that if it doesn't engage all the way it SHOULD pop back into neutral or something to avoid damage.

Never knew about lack of synchromesh on Reverse - the last manual I had was a Mercedes so maybe it had it, but I also had a 1991 Geo Metro and 1991 Toyota Corolla, and never exprienced anything like this with any of the three. This car is the only one I have ever had this issue with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had mine for about 4 months now and it was among the first gear "quirks" i noticed. Now I know what to do: if I feel the shifter hasn't engaged right, I shift in 1st and roll an inch forward. Reverse will now engage correctly. I learned this "trick" from my old 69' Beetle which did the same thing. I guess the gears need to move slightly from their stalemate for the teeth to mesh properly. Resistance in going from 1st to 2nd while cold - now that one I haven't yet figured out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts