Fiesta Faction banner

Issues with the DCT

12K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  kerokerokero 
#1 ·
I started a similar thread in another part of the forum but I wanted to put one here where I thought it was appropriate.

My Fiesta, with the dual-clutch automatic transmission has had a bearing or gear noise when in reverse from Day 1 (it can sound pretty sloppy at slow speed as if something was rolling around in the transfer case). I've also noticed some 'slapping' of downshifts when coming to a stop. I took it to my Ford Dealer last week. They immediately confirmed the noise and said they would get back to me after conferring with Ford. This morning, I received a call from the service manager who said they wanted me to come in so they could run a test (that would take about an hour). The SM commented that it is quite possible that the transmission may have to be replaced :)eek:); so, I'm taking it in tomorrow morning and wondering what the outcome will be.

I'm throwing this out there in case anyone else might be experiencing the same thing; hopefully, I'm the only one and that I'm dealing with something that is easily corrected.

Does anyone know if the european Fiesta has had the DCT? If it has the DCT, how has the reliability been? I know these DCT's are not that new and I'm hoping that Ford did their homework in bringing a well-tested product to the US.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
That's too bad - I hope they fix it up quick for you.

One thing I noticed while listening to the annoying 'unwrap' mp3s was that the DCT is designed to last 150k mi. I know nothing about trannies, is that a long or short time? It struck me as rather short (I plan on putting at least twice that on the fiesta)... then again, maybe it's totally acceptable and I should start saving for a new transmission once I pay the car off (although I'm pretty sure i'll hit 150k before then - i'll be averaging around 40k a year for the first four years)

#3 ·
Same car!

You (anverc) and I appear to have the same exact car (I have a SES Hatch Candy Apple Red will all factory options)? 40K annual miles is some serious stuff; how many miles are you driving daily? Any transmission in any car would be questionable after 150K miles unless it's a HD truck transmission.

I'm a little annoyed that I'm dealing with this problem; especially right from the start. I traded a 2005 Mustang GT in for this car (mostly out of neccessity because of my daily commute which is 80 miles round trip) and I don't need these kind of problems. Here's my list so far:

1. DCT bearing or gear noise (possible replacement in the works?)
2. Inaccurate gas gauge (possible re-calibration or replacement?)
3. Loose windshield molding

Lastly, I drive totally civil so I can maximize my gas mileage (hence the reason why I got rid of my Mustang for a fuel-efficient car) and I'm barely averaging 34 MPG. with almost 1200 miles on the odometer, I expected to be closer to 40 MPG (as advertised!). I don't know what the expected break-in period is for the motor so I'll give it a little more time before I start inquiring with my dealer.

#5 ·
You (anverc) and I appear to have the same exact car (I have a SES Hatch Candy Apple Red will all factory options)? 40K annual miles is some serious stuff; how many miles are you driving daily? Any transmission in any car would be questionable after 150K miles unless it's a HD truck transmission.

I'm a little annoyed that I'm dealing with this problem; especially right from the start. I traded a 2005 Mustang GT in for this car (mostly out of neccessity because of my daily commute which is 80 miles round trip) and I don't need these kind of problems. Here's my list so far:

1. DCT bearing or gear noise (possible replacement in the works?)
2. Inaccurate gas gauge (possible re-calibration or replacement?)
3. Loose windshield molding

Lastly, I drive totally civil so I can maximize my gas mileage (hence the reason why I got rid of my Mustang for a fuel-efficient car) and I'm barely averaging 34 MPG. with almost 1200 miles on the odometer, I expected to be closer to 40 MPG (as advertised!). I don't know what the expected break-in period is for the motor so I'll give it a little more time before I start inquiring with my dealer.

I didn't get leather (vegan), only options I got were 301A and Moonroof. I plan on adding the euro spoiler shortly after the car arrives.

I actually only drive 12 or so miles a day. However at the end of August my wife is going to be moving 180 miles away to start her doctorate at URI and I plan on going out there every weekend while she's in school. I suppose this is only really an additional 12-13k miles a year. I also managed to put 14k on my Escape in the last year (trips to visit family, see shows, etc...). So perhaps 40k is extreme and I'm only going to barely hit 30k. Now that you've forced me to do the math I feel slightly better ;)

I think you're going to have to find the sweet spot for the way you drive with the fiesta. The automatic transmission is quite a bit different than other cars so hypermiling in a fiesta is probably a lot different than doing so in, say, a sentra. My wife is only averaging 28mpg right now... but she guns it out of stops and doesn't like to use cruise control. I'd suggest hitting reset on MPG gauge while you drive, or spend 150 on a monitoring tool so you can see when the MPG suffers and when it's at its best. Knowing these variables will help you greatly in learning how to maximize your MPG.

#7 ·
Chances are that Ford wants that transmission back for analysis, and they don't want to risk the perception of a poorly made part (given how important the Fiesta is). I've heard of similar things in other vehicles that have been given high prominence from a lot of other manufacturers.

Although dealer trips can be frustrating, it's probably in the best interest of owners and potential owners to have it looked at to make sure there are no problems down the road.

#8 ·
MGREEN how far and how fast in reverse do you have to go ? I have the DCT also and I haven't noticed any noise but I really haven't been in reverse but maybe 3 times in 5 days and then I probably only had to back up the length of the car.

#10 ·
At the dealer this morning for the DCT issue

So I went into the dealer this morning and they can ran a test on the transmission per Ford's direction. In drive, the DCT runs fine with no issues. They ended up loading an updated software patch (noting that the computer adapts to my driving habits). My concern addresses a fairly loose sounding bearing/gear noise that I hear when rolling 'slowly' in reverse (like pulling out of my driveway or a parking spot); almost like something is flopping around in the transfer case. The mechanic heard the noise and he and I both agreed that the patch Ford recommended most likely will not eliminate this noise. After about 150 to 200 miles, if the sound is still there, Ford is going to replace the transmission.

One bright spot, after the patch was downloaded, my MPGs have appreciably increased. On the way to my office, my MPG went from an average of about 34 to 39; and, if I had stayed on the highway a little longer before I had to exit, I'm confident I could have gotten the MPG easily over 40.

#12 ·
As understand it, the DCT is a self-shifting MANUAL transmission, hence the name DUAL CLUTCH. It is unlike a traditional automatic that uses hydraulics and fluids to change gears. Instead, the clutches alternate the shifting as you accelerate or decelerate. Therefore, I would assume the 150k mile replacement would be the CLUTCHES, not the entire transmission. Sounds a whole lot cheaper. I am no expert on this, but that is how the dealer explained it to me.

#14 ·
Bearing noise still there

(iamz) I'm sure his fuel mileage did not improve, it's just that it would have been zeroed out with the new downloaded patch to his computer (that's why Marc recommended to him to reset the trip computer). MGREEN11 then went directly on the highway after the reset where he would have expected the better fuel mileage.

I think you're right; however, the dealer never reset the MPG monitor. I know if you reset it and then immediately jump on the highway, heck, you could probably get 45+ MPG because all its doing is averaging highway miles.

I know my reverse noise in the tranny is still very much there so it looks like I'll be getting a new one.

#16 ·
Noise is gone??

Ok,so I've driven the car another 200 miles since the dealer loaded the patch; interestingly, the noise has recently disappeared. The last time I spoke to my dealer (mid last week), the noise was still there and we were still pondering a transmission replacement. At this point, it doesn't look like a new tranny is necessary. My mileage has been up and the car is running great.

#17 ·
Ok,so I've driven the car another 200 miles since the dealer loaded the patch; interestingly, the noise has recently disappeared. The last time I spoke to my dealer (mid last week), the noise was still there and we were still pondering a transmission replacement. At this point, it doesn't look like a new tranny is necessary. My mileage has been up and the car is running great.
Excellent news! Hopefully the noise will never return. But I still wonder what could have caused the noise in the first place?

#18 ·
(Paradocks) "But I still wonder what could have caused the noise in the first place?"

Good question. No sooner did I post my earler reply on this did I get a call from the dealer. He mentioned that Ford wants the shop to pull the wheel hub from the front left side (where mechanic and I have heard the noise) and investigate what they find. I told him that I think the noise is gone and would get back to him in a day or so so I can confirm before they get crazy taking stuff apart. I'll see what I have in a day or so.

#19 ·
I was doing a search somewhere online when I first got my car and found an article talking about the 150k life. They said it is a sealed transmission. Just drive it till 150k or so. Not made to be serviced. Then buy a new one. I am not sure where I found it but I figured I would share.

#23 ·
I sat with the engineers that designed the DCT when Ford did the media unveil in Dearborn last November. It is a sealed transmission that is meant to be replaced as a unit. I am not sure how easily it could be rebuilt, if it is even possible. It is very small compared to a traditional tranny and "should" be a relatively easy replacement with low labor hours. They were estimating 150K but I was told that is conservative and it very likely could go longer.

I know this isn't the right forum for this, but I am interested in the range of MPG that is being seen. On my EU Fiesta from the FiestaMovement, I averaged 32.1 mpg over 25,000 recorded miles on Fuelly.com - LINK. I tried really hard for a month to boost my mpg and could only get to 39.1 mpg at my best.

I have noticed considerably better mileage with the US Fiesta, upwards of a 4-5 mpg gain. I have 4 fuel-ups in Fuelly for the new rig and averaged 38.5 mpg driving to Boston today from Vermont. I am driving the same terrain the same way and the difference in mileage is substantial. I will post this over in the Eco forum with more details, but figured I would share here. I should also have some ScanGuageII screenshots of what the car is doing under different loads.

#24 ·
The tranny fluid is replaceable for sure. It even says to change it at specific intervals in the manual. As for the clutches, unless it's welded shut, I'm sure the they could be replaced. Maybe LMTech will look into this for us and see what he can find out.

#28 ·
The automatic trans fluid can be changed simply by pulling a drain plug on the transmission and can be refilled or checked with another plug just a little higher up and towards the rear of the trans. I actually had a chance to lift my car up today and the drain plug is very easy to get too. The fill plug will involve removing the drivers side front wheel to have room to refill but when the car is on a jack or lift it looks very easy.
While I had the car in the air looking around it appeared that taking the engine and trans out of the car is very easy and will probaly come out the bottom and take a pro about 45 minutes to an hour to have it on the ground. I do remember seeing an overhaul procedure in the manual a couple months back so the trans can be overhauled and isn't just a swap out unit. If a problem does happen in the first model year I am sure that Ford will want the whole unit back for inspection but after that they will be able to be overhauled with the proper tools.

#31 ·
Scheduled to get noise checked

I'm scheduled to bring my car in next Tuesday to finally get that bearing noise checked in the front drivetrain as described in my original post. The dealership will be pulling the front axle on the left side (this is based on Ford's recommendation). I told them I wasn't happy about the 'exploratory surgery' and would just prefer a new transmission. But, I'm letting them go through the motions; you never know what they might find. I will report once I find out.

#32 ·
DCT Noise and MPG

Magenta SES with DCT, 301 package, cream leather with black piping, and sunroof.

We also have two noises associated with shifting. One sounds something like a loud heatshield rattle when shifting from first to second. It lasts for a second or two. It doesn't happen every time I'm in the car, but it seems to happen more when the AC is on. The other noise is a bang when downshifting at low speeds, especially when going up an incline. The downshift noise is really loud clunk that can be heard outside the car.
We don't drive it every day, but we've put about 2400 miles on the car (mostly in one long trip, so it was in 6th gear most of the time). Average fuel consumption has been about 38 mpg. The ride is great. the sound system is very good.
I'll call the dealer. If we finally get the smooth shifting as promised in the sales literature, I'll be a happy customer.

#35 ·
I also have the loud heatshield type rattle sound as its shifting from first to second and sometimes its really bad and sometimes I dont hear it for awhile.
I hope I can get that sound fixed but when it doesnt happen each time its pretty hard to get a service manager to hear it =(

Magenta SES with DCT, 301 package, cream leather with black piping, and sunroof.

We also have two noises associated with shifting. One sounds something like a loud heatshield rattle when shifting from first to second. It lasts for a second or two. It doesn't happen every time I'm in the car, but it seems to happen more when the AC is on. The other noise is a bang when downshifting at low speeds, especially when going up an incline. The downshift noise is really loud clunk that can be heard outside the car.
We don't drive it every day, but we've put about 2400 miles on the car (mostly in one long trip, so it was in 6th gear most of the time). Average fuel consumption has been about 38 mpg. The ride is great. the sound system is very good.
I'll call the dealer. If we finally get the smooth shifting as promised in the sales literature, I'll be a happy customer.

#33 ·
I also have the Powershift, and so far no problems. getting 39.4 mpg using the old fashioned reset trip computer and divide by gallons to refill tank. My dealer sent me a Ford owner's card and the brochure with it says: First Maint. visit- 5000 mi.- rotate inspect tires. 2nd visit 10,000mi.- change engine oil & filter, rotate & inspect tires, Inspect wheel ends for play & noise.

#34 ·
look forward to anything discovered because I just bought a Fiesta and mine is doing the exact same thing as is said in the first post of this thread.
The dealer is looking into it and so far has said that maybe its a normal sound for the DCT. left my my car there and they gave me a loaner and are going to look at it tomorrow.. I will update anything I find out.

#36 ·
TSB 10-19-6 was applied to my car which in a nut shell is new tranny programming. Still makes the same noise idling in reverse and some noise every now and then with the upshift. The service manager drove another new Fiesta on the lot and it did the same so he said thats just the way it is with the different solenoids and such making noise to shift the gears. No codes came up for them so he said just drive it and dont worry about it. So I will put some K's on this thing and see what happens :)
TSB 10-19-6 headline reads as: ENGING START CONCERNS, AUTO TRANS ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS LEAVING PARK AND/OR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WITH DTC P06B8, P0884, BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/17/2010
ISSUE - Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit a hard start, no start, intermittent start, noise from bellhousing during start and/or various automatic transmission engagement concerns such as no engagement or intermittent no engagement in Drive or Reverse when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse, grinding noise during engagement and/or a check engine light with TCM diagnostic trouble code P06B8 or P0884.
Will update if something ever changes with regards to my noises

#37 ·
I have the powershift and no problems (fingers,eyes, legs crossed) as of yet. I just put 253 miles on and in fact from reading all the problems, I drove to work this morning in 38 degree outside temps with the AC blasting to test if it made noises like bevster started out with. I guess I am a tad paranoid now? My car was built in June so I fit into the category of poss. issues.:eek:

#38 ·
Had the hard-start problem; car was going "whiii-tatatatatata" before finally catching, and then it wouldn't go into gear until I pushed it a few feet in neutral.

Took it into the dealer, when I mentioned the TSB, they basically said "oh, okay" and the service notes just say "performed TSB".

No problems so far, but if the problem recurs, I'll post a followup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.