Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How often do you wash your car, either at home or the carwash? So far we haven't had to, since it rains here several times a week. On dry days we have to battle highway bug spatter.

Coming home off 63 usually means a session with a bucket of cool water, two soft mesh scrubbers and two sponges. I use one scrubber and sponge for the front of the car, the other scrubber/sponge pair I use only on the headlight assemblies (which I rarely have to do, btw) to avoid possible contamination/ scratching from the other pair. Windex keeps the windshield clean, but I have to remember to also clean the leading edges of the wiper blades; bug deposits left on there usually transfer right back onto the glass, the next time we have to use the wipers.

For some reason the headlights almost never pick up any spatter, I attribute that to the way they were designed. I think the way the air flows over/around/past them carries the bugs away from the lenses. It's as good a theory as any since after driving 70mph on the road the car's windshield/nose usually needs some amount of cleaning, while the headlights rarely do. And even when the lights do need cleaning, what strikes the lenses is tiny compared to what hits the rest of the car's front end.

The interior at least is easy to clean, so far. Winter is coming and that's gonna mean a messier car all the way around, unfortunately.

Harry

·
Registered
83 Posts
While it's important to remove dead insects and bird droppings quickly to prevent permanent marks on your new car's paint job, a good sealant and wax every few months will go a long way toward protecting your investment from the rigors of daily driving, summer or winter.

I live on a dirt road, so my cars are dirty after driving home from the car wash place. :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
When it comes to removing bugs nothing beats Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. For small splotches just apply, wait a few moments and wipe off. If the car is covered with bugs and you're washing it I usually apply it, wait 2-3 minutes and then wash as normal and the bugs just slide off.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I run my Fiesta through a car wash about once a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts