Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford does not let customers order Keyless Entry with Intellegent Access/Push Button Start.

Can I add the keypad "after the fact" or is there an incompetability with Intellegent Access???:eek:

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you do that then it may be just like leaving a remote close to the car. If that is the case then anyone could just walk up and hit the button on the door handle and unlock the door. I don't know this for sure but with IA the remote never comes out of your pocket so I would assume that is why. The add on keyless pad is just basically another remote that is programmed to the car .

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
personally I don't like the way the stick-on keypad looks on a Fiesta. also I wonder what would happen if someone pried it off?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the keypad sends a constant signal (like the key transmitter) until you put in the code.

I believe the keypad works like an outside garage door keypad.

So I don't know why the 2 systems are not compatable????:eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think the keypad sends a constant signal (like the key transmitter) until you put in the code.

I believe the keypad works like an outside garage door keypad.

So I don't know why the 2 systems are not compatable????:eek:
I don't understand the reasoning for wanting a keypad on Fiestas equipped with intelligent access. Why bother to enter a multi-digit code on the keypad when all you have to do is press a single button on the outside door handle to unlock the car? :confused:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand the reasoning for wanting a keypad on Fiestas equipped with intelligent access. Why bother to enter a multi-digit code on the keypad when all you have to do is press a single button on the outside door handle to unlock the car? :confused:
Reasons like .... :rolleyes:

Accidently locking your transmitter in the car (or be able to lock it so I wouldn't have to carry it).

The wife could get in the car if she gets to the car first while shopping.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Accidently locking your transmitter in the car (or be able to lock it so I wouldn't have to carry it).

The wife could get in the car if she gets to the car first while shopping.
You get two fobs with your Fiesta. You could have one in your pocket and your wife have one in her purse.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What about remote start?

How would a remote start set-up work with the intelligent keyless access? I know Ford offers it as one of their accessories parts and I think it would be accurate to say that this option would add another remote to your pocket?

·
Registered
554 Posts

On a car with the IA option, the presence of the IA key inside the car would likely allow the doors to be unlocked without having any key in one's possession.

So if you wanted to be able to lock the IA key in the car (e.g. if you wanted to go to the beach and didn't want to worry about losing the key in the water), you would have to put it in an RFID-proof container first. That's if the keypad remote would otherwise work with the IA key system (you would likely need to find a Ford dealer with one in stock and willing to test to see if it can be programmed to be lock and unlock an IA equipped car -- it need not be stuck onto the car for such a test).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On a car with the IA option, the presence of the IA key inside the car would likely allow the doors to be unlocked without having any key in one's possession.

So if you wanted to be able to lock the IA key in the car (e.g. if you wanted to go to the beach and didn't want to worry about losing the key in the water), you would have to put it in an RFID-proof container first. That's if the keypad remote would otherwise work with the IA key system (you would likely need to find a Ford dealer with one in stock and willing to test to see if it can be programmed to be lock and unlock an IA equipped car -- it need not be stuck onto the car for such a test).
Wrongooohhh (I found out the hard way early), when I picked up my new car from the dealership, I placed both transmitters on my passenger seat (because the keys were within 3 ft of the car).

I let my dog out to do his business and then went back to get my keys/paperwork from the car.

It turns out that the car knows where the keys are and will lock the doors within 15 seconds so someone can't steal the car (if the doors are closed).

I had to have Ford Roadside Assistance break into the car (took them about 20 seconds without any damage - scary).

The vehicle won't allow you to lock the hatch if you place the transmitter in there ... unless you hit the open door first, place the transmitter in the hatch, then lock the doors! It assumes that you accidently dropped it in the hatch!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wrongooohhh (I found out the hard way early), when I picked up my new car from the dealership, I placed both transmitters on my passenger seat (because the keys were within 3 ft of the car).

I let my dog out to do his business and then went back to get my keys/paperwork from the car.

It turns out that the car knows where the keys are and will lock the doors within 15 seconds so someone can't steal the car (if the doors are closed).

I had to have Ford Roadside Assistance break into the car (took them about 20 seconds without any damage - scary).

The vehicle won't allow you to lock the hatch if you place the transmitter in there ... unless you hit the open door first, place the transmitter in the hatch, then lock the doors! It assumes that you accidently dropped it in the hatch!!!!
What happens if you use something like an automatic car wash. I was thinking that you would leave the transmitter in the car while it is being run through the car wash, that way the attendant at the other end can start the car and move it to the hand drying area.

Are you saying that even if you accidentally leave the transmitter in the car it will automatically lock the doors after 15 seconds? That doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What happens if you use something like an automatic car wash. I was thinking that you would leave the transmitter in the car while it is being run through the car wash, that way the attendant at the other end can start the car and move it to the hand drying area.

Are you saying that even if you accidentally leave the transmitter in the car it will automatically lock the doors after 15 seconds? That doesn't seem right.
Once the car is started, it will continue to run if you walk away from the car (with the transmitter). So until you press the brake and push the button, the car will run thru the car wash!

I walked away from my car and it continued to run.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Once the car is started, it will continue to run if you walk away from the car (with the transmitter). So until you press the brake and push the button, the car will run thru the car wash!

I walked away from my car and it continued to run.
That did not answer my question. I asked if the car automatically locked itself if the transmitter was left inside the car.

At my local car wash they turn off the engine as the car is pushed through on a guide track. When the car reaches the end of the wash an attendant gets in, starts the car, and moves it to an area where they hand dry it. What you described in a previous post was the car locking all by itself when you left the transmitters inside on the passenger seat. That doesn't make sense. Did you press the central locking button on the dash when you left the car?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'd keep the IA key in my pocket and tell them to leave it running.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That did not answer my question. I asked if the car automatically locked itself if the transmitter was left inside the car.

At my local car wash they turn off the engine as the car is pushed through on a guide track. When the car reaches the end of the wash an attendant gets in, starts the car, and moves it to an area where they hand dry it. What you described in a previous post was the car locking all by itself when you left the transmitters inside on the passenger seat. That doesn't make sense. Did you press the central locking button on the dash when you left the car?

Nope ... I actually made sure to unlock it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts