Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Accidentally washed my keyless entry "key" today and panicked when I found it in the washer. Got some water in the area where the emergency door key is located but the fob itself still seems to function normally and when I disassembled it no water had gotten inside. Still a chance that there could be some long-term damage to the buttons I imagine but for now it's still working fine with the only evidence some slight discoloration of the cover with the Ford logo on it.

As they say on Mythbusters "don't try this at home" :).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mine was dropped in the dog's water bowl...

Our FOB was dropped into the dog's water bowl by accident (the key holder is located right above the dog's bowls). After shaking and snapping water from it for about 5 minutes, it still worked. I'm sure it's built rather rigidly but I don't think it's waterproof. It would be good to get an answer from Ford engineers on this.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would expect the RFID part to be sealed and waterproof; car keys have had RFID chips for years (for theft-resistance) without any water problems.

Openable compartments with replaceable batteries (as many be used for remote lock/unlock buttons) are more likely to be a problem in water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts