Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Fiesta has been leaking a considerable amount of oil the past week or so. It's going to the dealer tomorrow... but every time I park anywhere it leaves a little pool behind. :(

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Thanks... funny I'm at around the same milage as that poster (1300).
Just thought of something,...another guy had a Fiesta delivered with an oil leak and it was, I believe, the gasket on the end of the camshaft. Can you identify where it is from?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. It was coming from somewhere higher up than I was able to see because it was dripping from pretty much everywhere. It's taking a trip to the dealership tomorrow at 7am so they can figure out why the hell my new car is leaking oil.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is quite alarming. I've been looking for oil leaks, but not seeing any yet. I'm almost expecting them. I also suspect this is why so many reserved cars never showed up. I'm worried they got pulled off the line because they already needed repairs.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is quite alarming. I've been looking for oil leaks, but not seeing any yet. I'm almost expecting them. I also suspect this is why so many reserved cars never showed up. I'm worried they got pulled off the line because they already needed repairs.
That could be. My car was leaking at 20 miles. If someone had bothered to check at the dealer, it probably would never have been delivered to me. But mine is leaking only very little compared to Scotty's, I've never seen a drop on the ground.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My leak was bad. There was barely a drop on the dipstick by the time I noticed that it was leaking.

I just got word from my dealer that it was a bad oil pressure sending unit. Should be fixed along with a bad passenger speaker this afternoon. So much for a new car :(

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My leak was bad. There was barely a drop on the dipstick by the time I noticed that it was leaking.

I just got word from my dealer that it was a bad oil pressure sending unit. Should be fixed along with a bad passenger speaker this afternoon. So much for a new car :(
I'm surprised that the oil pressure sending unit was the cause of your leak.:confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm surprised that the oil pressure sending unit was the cause of your leak.:confused:
I was wondering the same thing. I also wonder what the heck an oil pressure sending unit is. (Can you tell I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever?) :D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It converts the oil pressure to an electrical signal to be used by gauges and other electronic monitoring and controls.
Yes, but how can a car loose a quart or two of oil through it? Unless it was somehow cross threaded into the side of the engine block. It just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, but how can a car loose a quart or two of oil through it? Unless it was somehow cross threaded into the side of the engine block. It just doesn't sound right to me.
This happened to me on my Cougar way back in the late 70's. I lost over 3 quarts in 300 miles.

My father, a Ford Tech from way back in the 30's until the mid 80's said it did happen once in a while - not much surprised him as far as vehicle failures.

From what I've seen these units are made of different parts assembled into a unit, so if there is a defective seal or sealing method that opens up pretty good, it can happen. I'm guessing from the factory there should be some sort of sealant on the threads as well.

Hopefully those with more knowledge can expand on or correct this hypothesis.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This happened to me on my Cougar way back in the late 70's. I lost over 3 quarts in 300 miles.

My father, a Ford Tech from way back in the 30's until the mid 80's said it did happen once in a while - not much surprised him as far as vehicle failures.

From what I've seen these units are made of different parts assembled into a unit, so if there is a defective seal or sealing method that opens up pretty good, it can happen. I'm guessing from the factory there should be some sort of sealant on the threads as well.

OK. I can see that happening now. The electrical fitting on the outside has to attach to the pressure sensor inside and that is probably epoxied in and a failure of that bond could occur. Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts

No I don't think your explanation needs to be expanded you did a pretty good job.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Much as I hate to say it, this situation appears to be following the so-called "First Year Syndrome." Just-introduced new car lines frequently run into "teething" problems big and small, and a brand-new car that's losing oil right off the bat is always bad news.

The Fiesta brand may encounter other problems equally as serious (or even worse) in the months ahead.

I hope I'm proven wrong, btw.

Harry :mad:

·
Registered
241 Posts
No I don't think your explanation needs to be expanded you did a pretty good job.
Thank you! Coming from a professional, I consider that a high compliment!

·
Banned
528 Posts
This is not a new engine

Much as I hate to say it, this situation appears to be following the so-called "First Year Syndrome." Just-introduced new car lines frequently run into "teething" problems big and small, and a brand-new car that's losing oil right off the bat is always bad news.

The Fiesta brand may encounter other problems equally as serious (or even worse) in the months ahead.

I hope I'm proven wrong, btw.

Harry :mad:
I can't imagine the engine being in the "first year teething issues" segment, as this is not a new engine, and has been around for quite some time.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts