Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The best after market are "Wheel Skins" they are very high OEM like quality and with a decent "baseball" stitch it will look almost like it came from the factory...I don't have great "thread and needle" skills but with some time I was able to do a OEM like job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure if there is one specifically for the Fiesta yet. I have ordered one from wheelskins.com for a previous car and it was great quality. It was one you had to sew onto the wheel itself. It was perfectly stock because the wheel was a bit bulky with the added leather on it, but the actual cover was very high quality.

EDIT: And also if I remember they were able to to a group buy with a forum I was on for the other car. So it is possible if enough people are interested we could see if they can provide us a deal for multiple orders through this site.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Add me to the list! I'm thinking that this might be the first item to get. The steering wheel on the SE is nice, but if it was covered in leather, it would be really nice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would be interested in a group buy also. I like the euro tone two-color version. In red and black leather of course.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd like to join in a group buy, too, if there's something Fiesta specific. The steering wheel's pebbled texture is actually kind of abrasive to my hands and I'd like to cover it up. I'm silver with black interior.

Princess. Pea. I know. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wheel Skins sent me a note telling me to measure the outside diameter and the thickest part of the wheel and they will make a skin if it's not one of their standard sizes.

But the Fiesta steering wheel is kind of weird, it has those two "humps" at 10 and 2 o'clock.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wheel Skins sent me a note telling me to measure the outside diameter and the thickest part of the wheel and they will make a skin if it's not one of their standard sizes.

But the Fiesta steering wheel is kind of weird, it has those two "humps" at 10 and 2 o'clock.
I looked at the wheel skins, and it seems like they can handle the palm grips at 10 and 2, because they don't close around the parts of the inner wheel that connect to the outer wheel of their display photos. I kind of don't think those parts where they aren't sewn shut are very good looking. maybe if they were cut-out in those places.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I always wear leather fingerless driving gloves while driving. No need for a steering-wheel cover.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I looked at the wheel skins, and it seems like they can handle the palm grips at 10 and 2, because they don't close around the parts of the inner wheel that connect to the outer wheel of their display photos. I kind of don't think those parts where they aren't sewn shut are very good looking. maybe if they were cut-out in those places.

As long as the stitching job is done well it will be very hard to notice this...

I know that Wheel Skins are sold in Europe as well so I would think that the sizes would fit.

Does anyone know if the outside diameter of the US car STEERING wheel is different from the EU wheel?

·
Registered
73 Posts

I think when you sew it onto the wheel it will just be a bit tighter around the "humps" on the wheel. I would let them know about those also maybe they have a work around for it.

The only worry I have about a wheel cover is the fact that, to me atleast, the wheel already seems pretty thick. If you put the cover on it, it will only be even more thick...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought I'd bump this since it's been 5 months.
Wondering if anyone put a leather wrap on your steering wheel and if it adds too much thickness.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hopefully installing mine this weekend

Ordered it a couple weeks ago but haven't found the time to install. Working in a below freezing garage isn't too encouraging either.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Leather steering wheel cover

Installed my cover this afternoon. When I emailed Wheelskins about the thicker parts of the steering wheel, they said to soak that portion of the cover in water to allow them to stretch. Took about an hour and a half (I guess I'm slow because they say an hour). I haven't driven the car yet, but it doesn't feel too thick. It's thinner then the gloves I typically wear but with the cover on, I'm not as likely to wear them on cold mornings.

I keep going back and forth if I should have gotten black, but the tan won't be as hot in the summer. Also I need to see if I can smooth out the lumps at the bottom of the wheel by the spoke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts