Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this posted on another forum:

"I've been informed today from my dealer that Fiestas have been 'locked' in port at Maryland. No word on how long, or why, or anything further. I'm seeing about getting my deposit back due to inability to deliver. I should not have to wait this long for an affordable small car that they seem to have sold 'millions' of this year already."

Can someone verify this? My Fiesta is currently sitting in the Baltimore MD port. :eek:

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Farce

I see two issues that make me skeptical about the quote:
  1. Dealers will make things up - especially if it shields the blame away from themself. I don't see any reason to believe the story for this reason. The dealer could have given this person a low priority, ordered the car late, misordered it, or any number of other mistakes they want to hide.
  2. Where is the proof of "millions sold" of this car? The European model perhaps, or as a world-wide figure, but in America? I don't think so. The numbers I've seen around FiestaFaction make me believe we're below 100,000 total so far. They would be happy to sell millions in North America, I'm sure, but that will take a bit more time.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I believe the "millions" is reflecting world-wide sales.

Per their Facebook post yesterday at 8:44 am:

Ford Fiesta There have been almost ONE MILLION Fiestas sold around the world. To celebrate, Fiesta goes around the world in 60 days! Follow us through our photos. Be sure to click on the Contest tab and enter your pic of you and your Fiesta, then vote on your fave images. The most popular photos will be includedin our Fiesta: Road... to One Million collage that we'll post right here on Facebook.
As for why they are in MD, that's quite odd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Fiesta was supposed to be going through Baltimore and arriving last Friday, but I haven't heard anything. I'll call the reservation line tonight.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this sounded goofy. Mine is in MD too, but the status is "available for pickup." I wonder if the guy who made that comment has the same status on his car. Maybe it was just unfortunate 'phrasology' by the dealer rep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My car has been in at the port in Baltimore for 8 days now. I am still trying to get details but the reservation line line said it was "waiting for the hauling company to pick it up" (something along those lines) Reservation line could not tell me it was in Baltimore, only that it "was at 'the' port" But I have always seemed to be one step ahead of them this whole ordeal.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Sounds like it's waiting in line for a transport....

Sounds like the unloaded a "boatload" literally, and they are waiting to be picked up by the transport trucks i.e. Allied, Jackie Cooper etc....There are probably so many of them, and probably onesies and twosies....(not a whole transport load) so the logistics managers are probably trying to figure out what trucks to put them on and in what order so they can run a route and drop one here, two there and so on...without having to run a lot of miles out of route, and get the cars delivered to their dealers at the lowest cost.

That, is most likely the situation.....logistics......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like the unloaded a "boatload" literally, and they are waiting to be picked up by the transport trucks i.e. Allied, Jackie Cooper etc....There are probably so many of them, and probably onesies and twosies....(not a whole transport load) so the logistics managers are probably trying to figure out what trucks to put them on and in what order so they can run a route and drop one here, two there and so on...without having to run a lot of miles out of route, and get the cars delivered to their dealers at the lowest cost.

That, is most likely the situation.....logistics......
"Logistics"
So basically, It's Mexico all over again! Bet my car was the first to be unloaded, got buried in the back of a lot, and is going to be the last one to leave!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get it now, the $50 is to buy a 1 way bus ticket to Baltimore to pick up our cars. And this American auto maker did not go bankrupt ??? Now thats hard to believe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just found out today mine is and has been in Baltimore since the 20th of August and no idea when it will move further.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They were all reinspected for seat back latches that may not meet spec. Supplier notified Ford of suspected noncompliance, Ford inspected 2,300 Fiestas waiting at holding spots, only 12 found with the suspected faulty part. Nothing to worry about, just want to make sure none of them reach the customer!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, towards the beginning of the month, August 1-10th, there were a BUNCH of Fiestas that came into Baltimore that were damaged. The reservation people cannot tell you that, even though they have the information available to them.

They use Vehicle Visibility, which is the same system that the dealers use. They are just not allowed to tell you anything more than it's current status, and it's vague location. "On a train in Mexico".

·
Registered
303 Posts
My husband stopped by the dealership today and the manager talked to him and said they just received a email from Ford that said the hold on the cars in Baltimore will be an ADDITIONAL 3-4 weeks. So if I decide to wait it will now be the END of September or beginning of October for the car. 7 months since my original order was placed. I also make my first payment on the car I still don't have on Sept 1. I just don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maryland

Hi I was tols my Ses grey was in Md two weks ago then the dealer said oh its on a truck, should be here in a couple of days. Then I was told expect it the week of the 26th. today is the 27th, I called the reservation line who always has a different staus then the dealer. at first they showed it going back to mexico now it is in quality control situation. I called my dealer who chcked his site and said should be here any daymaybe evemn tomorrow. I agree with other ppl here this is a problem that seems to be going on for a while now. with the recession and auto companies in stiff competition Ford should be all over this. My Fiesta has been on a truck now for a week. how hard is it for the driver to call in at the end of the day with a staus update? or the dealer is avoiding the truth . Ford this problem will get out and customers will go else where.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
My husband stopped by the dealership today and the manager talked to him and said they just received a email from Ford that said the hold on the cars in Baltimore will be an ADDITIONAL 3-4 weeks. So if I decide to wait it will now be the END of September or beginning of October for the car. 7 months since my original order was placed. I also make my first payment on the car I still don't have on Sept 1. I just don't know what to do anymore.
I just came from the dealer. He showed me a letter from their area rep that confirmed several points about the Fiesta delays. Here's what I got out of it:

1) The cars in Baltimore were placed on delivery hold so an inspection could be performed

2) The issue reported was a part from an outside supplier (not specified) did not meet quality standards, and about 5500 cars were being inspected prior to shipment.

3) The no ship order was released on 8/23. The cars are beginning to ship again. IOW, some of that 2-4 week waiting period has already elapsed.

At least that is the official word. However, I still smell a rat. Why, if there was a problem with a certain part of the vehicle, wouldn't they just ship them to the dealer and have the dealer service dept. take a look at that part during pre-delivery inspection? The fact that the cars are being held from dealers smacks of a coverup. :cool: TooFarFromFenway suggested that there were some damaged vehicles that arrived in Baltimore. I would like to hear more about that - sources, etc. :confused:

In the meantime, I already have a check in hand (because I had expected the car in a few days) from the bank, and my payments start 9/10. I may start paying on the loan before I get to drive the car. Also, the license plates I want to transfer expire on Monday (not a big issue, since the car they were on has been sold). I also want to know for sure if there was indeed damage done to my car in transit, and what needed to be done to fix it. I should be allowed to approve that, and my acceptance of delivery should hinge partly on this issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just came from the dealer. He showed me a letter from their area rep that confirmed several points about the Fiesta delays. Here's what I got out of it:

1) The cars in Baltimore were placed on delivery hold so an inspection could be performed

2) The issue reported was a part from an outside supplier (not specified) did not meet quality standards, and about 5500 cars were being inspected prior to shipment.

3) The no ship order was released on 8/23. The cars are beginning to ship again. IOW, some of that 2-4 week waiting period has already elapsed.

At least that is the official word. However, I still smell a rat. Why, if there was a problem with a certain part of the vehicle, wouldn't they just ship them to the dealer and have the dealer service dept. take a look at that part during pre-delivery inspection? The fact that the cars are being held from dealers smacks of a coverup. :cool: TooFarFromFenway suggested that there were some damaged vehicles that arrived in Baltimore. I would like to hear more about that - sources, etc. :confused:

In the meantime, I already have a check in hand (because I had expected the car in a few days) from the bank, and my payments start 9/10. I may start paying on the loan before I get to drive the car. Also, the license plates I want to transfer expire on Monday (not a big issue, since the car they were on has been sold). I also want to know for sure if there was indeed damage done to my car in transit, and what needed to be done to fix it. I should be allowed to approve that, and my acceptance of delivery should hinge partly on this issue.
It's the absolute opposite of a coverup. It would NEVER - I repeat NEVER be something left up to a dealer to inspect. This is a new launch and Ford engineers need to be the ones finding these problems and fixing them, not something that can be left to the dealer network! The last thing they want on a new launch is a dealer tech doing something wrong - it is a controlled environment in Baltimore - they're looking for one cause of one problem, shipping to dealers would introduce additional variables that would cloud the post-launch data.

·
Banned
528 Posts
From the peanut gallery....

I just found out today mine is and has been in Baltimore since the 20th of August and no idea when it will move further.
Sam De La Garza Quote"

"My boss is personally handling the launch of the 2012 Focus and it will be much smoother....we are taking our lessons learned on the Fiesta Launch and applying them to the 2012 Focus Launch" :D

The only holdup on the Focus (Supposedly going to be built in Wayne Michigan) will be the UAW holding up a batch of cars because they ran out of "Built with Pride by the UAW" stickers for the window):D

By the way...I peeled mine off (The built with Pride by the UAW Sticker) off both of the new Ford vans we got at work...the day we got them.

The UAW in Arlington Texas forced Chevy to hold 750 special ordered vehicles for over 5 weeks waiting on "UAW 75th Anniversary" stickers for the window...no crap....it was in the Dallas Morning News....talk about the tail wagging the dog.....I bet that customer was not happy....

Or....better yet the UAW will go on strike about the time the first cars are about ready to roll off of the line.....:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so who really cares aboutthe 2012 focus? What is the real story in Baltimore with the 2011 fiesta? Are they finished inspecting? are the cars moving? is there anyone here who actually knows or How I ill find out? My sales person said the car was in recieved status. he said that means it is loaded on a truck is this true?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts