Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can the hatch be opened from inside the car without using the keyfob? I've looked thru the manual and didn't see any info on this. If there is an inside release button someplace on the dash I can't find it.

Harry

·
Registered
554 Posts
Using the central locking system to "lock all" or "unlock all" (from the fob or dash button) includes the hatch lock.

I.e. after you "unlock all" using the central lock system, the hatch remains closed, but you or someone else can then open it by pressing the button hidden under the hand hold (where you would naturally grab to open it). After you "lock all", pressing that button no longer opens the hatch.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Using the central locking system to "lock all" or "unlock all" (from the fob or dash button) includes the hatch lock.

I.e. after you "unlock all" using the central lock system, the hatch remains closed, but you or someone else can then open it by pressing the button hidden under the hand hold (where you would naturally grab to open it). After you "lock all", pressing that button no longer opens the hatch.
Reminds me of the (Saturn) Astra. :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Reminds me of the (Saturn) Astra. :)
It is a lot more intuitive and easy to use than the Volkswagen Golf, that's for sure. That car had a separate control for the hatch lock (on the key or a control inside the car). The central locking "lock all" and "unlock all" did not affect the state of the hatch lock. And if you unlocked the hatch, you had to be quick in opening it, because it would relock after a short time.

I.e. it seems like they spent a lot of money / effort to design and manufacture a hatch locking system that is more difficult to use than just controlling it with the central locking system.

And in the latest redesign, they removed the interior hatch unlock, as a Consumer Reports auto tester expressed annoyance at in this blog post:
Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Volkswagen gains reliability, loses some delight

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your help!

Harry :)

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
It is a lot more intuitive and easy to use than the Volkswagen Golf, that's for sure. That car had a separate control for the hatch lock (on the key or a control inside the car). The central locking "lock all" and "unlock all" did not affect the state of the hatch lock. And if you unlocked the hatch, you had to be quick in opening it, because it would relock after a short time.]

The reason they did this was to increase security...VW Golfs have had a seperate hatch lock release for years now located in the interior seperate from the door unlock button..It is a bit of a pain but I understand WHY it was designed this way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The reason they did this was to increase security...VW Golfs have had a seperate hatch lock release for years now located in the interior seperate from the door unlock button..It is a bit of a pain but I understand WHY it was designed this way.
It does not increase security in a Golf, where the inside hatch unlock button, fold down back seats, and cargo cover are not lockable. Anyone who can open any door lock on a Golf can get into the cargo area. While the valet key on a Golf does not open the outside hatch lock, a dishonest valet can open the hatch either through the back seats or the inside hatch unlock.

If I understand correctly, Jettas have lockable folding rear seats, and a lock near the trunk unlock button which is not operable by the valet key, so having a separate arrangement for the trunk makes sense. But not on a Golf.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
It does not increase security in a Golf, where the inside hatch unlock button, fold down back seats, and cargo cover are not lockable. Anyone who can open any door lock on a Golf can get into the cargo area. While the valet key on a Golf does not open the outside hatch lock, a dishonest valet can open the hatch either through the back seats or the inside hatch unlock.

If I understand correctly, Jettas have lockable folding rear seats, and a lock near the trunk unlock button which is not operable by the valet key, so having a separate arrangement for the trunk makes sense. But not on a Golf.

tjl....it increases security not in the literal sense so much as theives looking for a quick grap oppurtunity (lifting the hatch) are slowed down so that it will deter a potential thief..lots of criminals do NOT want to go through the effort of moving a parcel shelf, folding seats ect in their criminal exploits....

A hatchback is naturally a bit less secure than a booted vehicle....

·
Registered
554 Posts
tjl....it increases security not in the literal sense so much as theives looking for a quick grap oppurtunity (lifting the hatch) are slowed down so that it will deter a potential thief..lots of criminals do NOT want to go through the effort of moving a parcel shelf, folding seats ect in their criminal exploits....

A hatchback is naturally a bit less secure than a booted vehicle....
That's a pretty rare case for anyone who cares about keeping thieves out of the vehicle -- you'd naturally lock everything when leaving the car if there was the possibility of theft. Locking the hatchback lid but not the doors does not seem to be a sensible use case when there is risk of theft.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
That's a pretty rare case for anyone who cares about keeping thieves out of the vehicle -- you'd naturally lock everything when leaving the car if there was the possibility of theft. Locking the hatchback lid but not the doors does not seem to be a sensible use case when there is risk of theft.

Different cultures and people interperet all kinds of scenarios .......differently... that is WHY you find EU cars often times use different approaches to various tasks and problems.

Thank goodness future Ford cars will be decidedly Euro in such matters..:D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Different cultures and people interperet all kinds of scenarios .......differently... that is WHY you find EU cars often times use different approaches to various tasks and problems.

Thank goodness future Ford cars will be decidedly Euro in such matters..:D
And what about European cultures would cause someone to think that their car is "secure" against casual theft from the cargo area when the hatchback lid is locked but the doors are unlocked? (Of course, the Fiesta was originally designed for sale in the EU, and it does not have the odd hatchback lid locking arrangement that the VW Golf does.)

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
And what about European cultures would cause someone to think that their car is "secure" against casual theft from the cargo area when the hatchback lid is locked but the doors are unlocked? (Of course, the Fiesta was originally designed for sale in the EU, and it does not have the odd hatchback lid locking arrangement that the VW Golf does.)

It's not that it IS completely secure but most thieves would think that what is hidden in the hatch might be the most valuable items. Even theives have perceptions...:D

Unlike in the USA, Europeans are much less likely to leave valuable items in the cockpit area.

Again many of the ways certain features work is determined by cultural cues...hence why Dearborn felt the need to rework items that were just fine as they were in the Fiesta. They were afraid that dullard Americans couldn't be bothered to read the owners manual.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts