Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a mileage tracker.

How it works:
You start with a full tank of gas, reset the trip meter. Drive until you need to fill up again.
Document the miles you drove on that tank and the gallons it took to fill the tank back up.

You can also list what the avg MPG settings says, but don't go solely off of that. It's nickname after all is the "lie-o-meter".

Another helpful bit of information would be the type of driving you did during that tank.

This thread will end up the best if comments are left to a minimum and only actually data is posted.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Nels, very neat set-up. I just registered myself. Thank.s

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've had 40 or more the last six fill ups.:D It helps that it isn't a/c weather and only a little in town and a 30 mile highway commute to work. I exect it to drop when it gets real cold and in the summer when it's hot. Lots of coasting, shifting to soon, driving the speed limit!!! In my last car when gas was $4 a gallon, when I drove like this, I was getting about 20% more mpg. One of these tanks I need to drive it like gas was $1. Full throttle to red line.:eek:
I also have a Scangauge II set on intant MPG.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had 40 or more the last six fill ups.:D It helps that it isn't a/c weather and only a little in town and a 30 mile highway commute to work. I exect it to drop when it gets real cold and in the summer when it's hot. Lots of coasting, shifting to soon, driving the speed limit!!! In my last car when gas was $4 a gallon, when I drove like this, I was getting about 20% more mpg. One of these tanks I need to drive it like gas was $1. Full throttle to red line.:eek:
I also have a Scangauge II set on intant MPG.
My wife drives the Fiesta, and she is a bit of a pedal-masher. I'm doing reasonably well with my 96 Saturn:
Peanut (Saturn SL) | Fuelly
Over 40 mpg on every tank since march, with a high of 46.7. No scangauge or other instrumentation. The car spends a lot of time coasting and idling, and rarely sees 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I put one together at home:
http://members.lsol.net/gop4evr/unlinked/96saturn.xls

This is for my Saturn. I also have one for the Fiesta, but there is only one entry. This shows better how the spread works. I keep a spreadsheet log like this on all of our vehicles.
Very nice spreadsheet. I like the car too. My two sons had a '96 Saturn passed down from one to the other. This past winter the frame broke in half as my son was driving it. The body actually hit the pavement. No injuries or problem. Just two weeks before that he was telling me he was going to have it welded. Told him it wasn't worth it. Now he's glad he didn't do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll follow Zinky's format:

Fill Date Miles Gallons MPG
7-7-10---304--8.97---33.9
7-13-10--327--9.31---35.1
7-24-10--237--7.86---30.2
8-5-10---276--9.15---30.2
8-17-10--258--8.24---31.3
8-27-10--258--7.95---32.5
9-4-10---184--5.35---34.4
9-5-10---281--6.89---40.8
9-16-10--297--8.14---36.5
9-28-10--286--7.94---36.0

The 40.8 MPG was mostly highway miles, all others were mostly
city miles.
The average MPG listed in my message center was always about
1 MPG higher than what I came out with actually doing the math.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just thought I'd post up my most recent stat to get the ball rolling now that the engine is broken in.

397 miles - 11.6 gallons at fillup - 34.2 mpg.

That was a good mix of highway and city driving going back and forth to work.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
What's nice about Fuelly.com is that you can compare and see what other are getting. I don't see too many Fiestas though! :confused:

Edit: Just look at it since about a week ago. Seem like a lot more people decided to share. :)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
2nd tank; 405 miles / 10.322 gal. = 39.23 mpg

90% highway under 65 mph. Mostly 60 mph. 10% suburban light traffic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What's nice about Fuelly.com is that you can compare and see what other are getting. I don't see too many Fiestas though! :confused:

Edit: Just look at it since about a week ago. Seem like a lot more people decided to share. :)
I love that you can text your fillup details to Fuelly and it will text you back your tank and average as well as add the data to your account!

Scott's SES (Ford Fiesta) | Fuelly

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
gas mileage

I just returned from a 885 mile trip. What a car! I averaged 38.5 mpg at an average speed of 55 mph. Before I got into some stop and go traffic I had averaged 39.3 mpg at an averaged speed of 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've strangely enough never seen my average speed readout go above 40... and I drive 37 miles highway each way going to and from work... and lets just say that traffic around Harrisburg would eat you alive if you attempted to go the recommended 55-65.

I still find it inwardly shocking when people talk about driving below 60 for an entire tank of gas.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just returned from a 885 mile trip. What a car! I averaged 38.5 mpg at an average speed of 55 mph. Before I got into some stop and go traffic I had averaged 39.3 mpg at an averaged speed of 60 mph.
That is somehow disappointing. Of course the car is new, and it will improve after a good break-in period, but I wonder if we should be expecting better. I have a 16 year old Saturn with a larger (and less complicated) engine and 120,000 miles on it that averages over 40 mpg all around, and a bit over 44 mpg on a longer trip. --

Peanut (Saturn SL) | Fuelly

It's a bigger car too (slightly).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If we take a look back at some of the great fuel sippers of the past 20 years - yes, the Fiesta can seem a little disappointing in the numbers. I mean, seriously, how far was the Geo Metro XFE going in the early 90's with its little 3-cyl? 50-60mpg?

The problem is that no one remembers that car for anything other than being a crap-bucket. The Saturn too is more remembered for being the experiment in a completely plastic car shell than for it's fuel mileage. Sad but true. We're coming off the gas guzzler craze of the late 90's early 2000's and the general public sees these high 30 numbers and goes "OMFG! GREATEST MILEAGE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!"

Is 36-38 avg. mpg in a small car good? Yes. It's is precedent setting? Not really.

For me, the magic combination of the Fiesta is the gas mileage it returns combined with the great features and driving dynamics. To me, this car has best of a lot of worlds. Better fuel consumption than my Focus, driving feel and enjoyment that rivals it, better amenities for a better price.

While the Geo and Saturn may have gotten better overall mileage, I don't think we'll ever hear anyone praising the driving dynamics of their Metro. Can't speak for the Saturn though, ever take it Auto-Xing? :D

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I've strangely enough never seen my average speed readout go above 40... and I drive 37 miles highway each way going to and from work... and lets just say that traffic around Harrisburg would eat you alive if you attempted to go the recommended 55-65.

I still find it inwardly shocking when people talk about driving below 60 for an entire tank of gas.
Slipster,

You're right. I've driven in Harrisburg and the Hersey, Lebanon area and you can't very well go below 60 or you'll be a spot on the pavement. I like those signs down there that read..Caution Aggressive Driver Area.
However, in other less "aggressive" areas if you make yourself slowdown to 50-55 and get use to it, you actually feel more relaxed and the drive is much more enjoyable. The trick is to stay out of everybody's way. Stick to the right hand lane, let people pass you and if you are impeding traffic then get out and don't drive!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts