Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember the old TV commercial from the 80's "Motor Oil is Motor Oil"?

I have been pondering lubricants today....In my 08 Focus, the dealership did the
first few oil changes with the Motorcraft factroy fill "blend". After that I switched to Mobil One. Ran that until I traded it at 49,000 miles. Wifes 09 was a program car with 14,000 on it when we got it, and I put in the Valvoline "blend" on the first oil change (there is a Valvoline franchise close to the house) and I read all their literature, and they will guarantee the engine until 275,000 miles if you change every 3000 miles and register with them. I also had them do the full Valvoline fuel system clean where they use that pressurized deal to clean the system, and then ran the additive thru the tank, the car was a California fleet car, and was always (to me) kinda sluggish. It runs great now BTW.

Now, to my second question. Additives.

I am a HUGE Lucas fan and always run Lucas fuel additive in the gas when we go on road trips. We got 39 mpg in the 09 when we took it to Arkansas a while back. I dosed it pretty heavy going and coming.

The Fiesta manual says all of these additives are "not approved by Ford" I will have to go look up the exact quote.

On the Focus the manual said 7500 intervals, the Fiesta says 10,000 intervals. I did that on my 08 with the Synthetic, and the oil was always clean and it never burned a drop, but 10,000? This 1.6 TiVct is wound tight and has high compression.

What is the consensus among all of the folks here with little more knowlege than me on this issue?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use Mann or Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is made by Champion, which I think also makes many of the factory filters...including Ford's. For USA, I think Champion is about the best out there and Mobile 1 is amongst their premium......the other is K&N which no doubt is the same as the mobile 1. For the Ford, I will use Mobile 1 oil as well, probably 0w30 synthetic or what Ford recommends for my area. I will also use a magnetic drain plug on the sump if the Fiesta desn't come stock with one. Here is a place that will make one that fits anything if they don't already have stock on it

Magnetic Drain Plugs

For fuel, I use Chevron, because their cleaner is better. I use to use Shell exclusively, but after reading their own comparisons, I decided to switch t Chevron. Only additive I use is occasionally (@2000 miles) I add in Chevrons injector cleaner on a full fuel up. I do not use additives in the oil as that would indicate the oil I am using is not doing it's job and now I am adding a third party oil in addition to my normal oil?? Doesn't make sense.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the manual, second printing...

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that
is not covered by Ford warranty.

Lucas says the following:
Q: Will using Lucas Stabilizer void the factory warranty on my new vehicle?
A: No, using Lucas Stabilizer will not void a new car warranty. Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product that will blend with both synthetic and non-synthetic oils.

So............any thoughts? I love lucas products, used them in my heavy over the road trucks and buses for years. Never had an issue, ran Lucas in my 08, and am currently running the fuel additive in my wife's 09.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think they are selling you Miracle tonic. Probably has a better chance on growing hair on a bald mans head then increasing mpg. What it does for sure is transfers the money from your pocket to theirs.

Oil additives? Is the oil you're using doing it's job? If it's not, then get oil made by a company that will make an oil that does it's job. If there are companies out there that know how to make an additive to add in to another companies product that will improve them, then why doesn't that company just make their own oil blend that will get the job done? I am not going to play made scientist with oil additives, I am putting trust in that Mobile 1 did their homework and that a small time oil additive company is not going to improve on it by second guessing them with a merical tonic.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I think they are selling you Miracle tonic. Probably has a better chance on growing hair on a bald mans head then increasing mpg. What it does for sure is transfers the money from your pocket to theirs.
After all these years of snake oil you'd think people would finally learn, but I guess it's not to be..

I wouldn't put ANY additive into the oil..at ALL!!!!

As long as you put a high quality oil that meets the specs of the car you'll be fine....actually the Motorcraft syn blend that is in your fiesta is a very high quality oil that can go for up to 7500 miles without a change.

As for filters....my guess is that since it is a European Ford it uses Mahle and or Mann filters (air and oil) as OEM likely rebranded as Morotcraft. Both brands are extremely high quality . VW specs them as OEM as well. Great prtoducts.
I have Mahle air and oil filters on my car right now.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
As per the previous post from the owners manual, don't use oil additives. It's my understanding that the Fiesta has a sensor that monitors the oil cleanliness and it will light up if the oil needs to be changed before 10,000 miles.

I personally use a bottle of Techron every 5,000 miles in the gas tank. Any more often is a waste. You can't clean off deposits that aren't there...

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I think most of the mfrs do accept the use of specific fuel system cleaners, like Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner, Redline SL-1,, and Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner...because they have a proven gasoline detergent called PEA in them...it has been proven SAFE and effective on carbon deposits .

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I never use fuel additives in my cars. I use gas from any gas station that is near at the time. I have never had a fuel related problem. Current car has 160,761 miles on it.

I've only used Mobil 1 in my cars (and bikes) since about 1984.

I do use Sea Foam fuel additive in my bikes and small engines to preserve the fuel and keep the carburetors clean during extended storage.

I won't suggest what anyone else should do.:)

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife's 09 was seriously sluggish and MPG's were really sub standard...I had the valvoline do the fuel system clean. I did not figure Valvoline would be marketing something that would harm a vehicle opening them to any litigation. The device looked similar to a a/c charging manifold/valve set...I know it was pressurized somehow....and then they had me run some additive thru the next tank.. MPG did improve.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My wife's 09 was seriously sluggish and MPG's were really sub standard...I had the valvoline do the fuel system clean. I did not figure Valvoline would be marketing something that would harm a vehicle opening them to any litigation. The device looked similar to a a/c charging manifold/valve set...I know it was pressurized somehow....and then they had me run some additive thru the next tank.. MPG did improve.
That is not the additive improving MPG. That is your MPG sufferring because it was clogged. Cleaning it returned the MPG to where it should be. Using chevron gas or at least adding in chevrom techron will keep that from happening. I believe in that and have no doubt it works as advertised. I use Techron, because BMW sells their own fuel injector cleaner (only additive they sell) and it's just techron in a different bottle. I do not believe in those crazy "octane boost" additive crap.

·
Registered
343 Posts
10,000 does seem a bit crazy for oil changes (but it is what the book recommends!?)

The Escape's book recommended 7500 mi changes, but I've liked doing it at 5,000mi because I like doing everything needed on the same trip and 5,000 mi increments is the best way of hitting that mark (for instance, I rotate my tires every time I get my oil changed). This just makes it easier. The manual might suggest 10,000 mi but I'll stick with 5,000 mi increments.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The "magic" in Techron, Redline, and Regane Fuel SYSTEM cleaners ..(not the fuel injection only cleaners) is PEA...look it up on the Chevron Techron site.

PEA is great because is does a fantastic job of removing tough carbon deposits from the injectors, intake, valves...but it doesn't leave any of its own residue behind like some other detergents do.

I would completely stay away from Sea Foam on modern cars like the Fiesta..

There are specific products like the 3M intake cleaner product that comes will the product and a special sprayer nozzle that clips into the throttle body for a safe clean.

Its very important that the cleaner used IS totally safe to the sensitive plastics used in the modern car TB!!!! If you ignore this factor you may destroy your expensive throttle body (electrical sensors within it.)

You've been warned!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
10,000 does seem a bit crazy for oil changes (but it is what the book recommends!?)

The Escape's book recommended 7500 mi changes, but I've liked doing it at 5,000mi because I like doing everything needed on the same trip and 5,000 mi increments is the best way of hitting that mark (for instance, I rotate my tires every time I get my oil changed). This just makes it easier. The manual might suggest 10,000 mi but I'll stick with 5,000 mi increments.
My 85 Ford Tempo had 186,000 miles when I got rid of it, I changed the oil every 10,000 miles. :eek: I didn't need to add oil between oil changes and MPG and power remained same as new! Same with my 95 Neon, but it had 218,000 miles. I did use Mobil One, and had lots of highway miles. Change oil at 3,000, you are waisting money. On my Corvair which I drive 800 to 1000 miles a each summer. I change the oil each season before putting it away for winter.

Dan
65 Corvair convertible
11 Fiesta a week form Monday!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I use Lucas Oil with every change now that I have the Focus over 50K miles. Not only has it really quieted the engine down quite nicely but has smoothed things out. I use Lucas Oil Injection Cleaner every 12K miles, they're the only actual products I stand by because they work. Everything else is Snake Oil. Ford has contracts with certain companies for engine cleaning, and fuel injection cleaning therefore they will put that disclaimer in. Its like the fact that in my manual it states that I am to use ONLY USE BP 87 Octane fuel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not using oil additives, but rather Amsoil in my Focus. I have been doing 10K mile oil changes for a while now using the XL7500 oil and filter. I just recently switched to their top synthetic oil and filter and now am doing 25K oil changes. While I am not putting additives in the oil, I do know that Amsoil has a lot of additives already in it which allows longer oil change intervals and gives better protection.

165K miles so far running Amsoil and the engine runs just like it was driven off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use Lucas Oil with every change now that I have the Focus over 50K miles. Not only has it really quieted the engine down quite nicely but has smoothed things out. I use Lucas Oil Injection Cleaner every 12K miles, they're the only actual products I stand by because they work. Everything else is Snake Oil. Ford has contracts with certain companies for engine cleaning, and fuel injection cleaning therefore they will put that disclaimer in. Its like the fact that in my manual it states that I am to use ONLY USE BP 87 Octane fuel.
When I was a kid and I use to hear valve noise from my car, someone told me to add an oil additive. What that additive was is very thick and sure it quited the noise down and sure it felt like it now ran smoother, but weather that was good in the long run is another story. The noise was an indication of a problem. usually it's valve noise. Sometimes it's just because you need to add oil (normal regular oil), but if that didn't quite it down, then you should go ahead and adjust the valve...or diagnos farther....or if you don't care and/or selling the car soon, add some thick ass oil additive.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Common sense dictates that you should put in additives in some form down the road to help assist the engine parts and reduce wear on the motor. I had noticed my idle was a little noiser than usual from the engine once I had hit the mileage and putting it in smoothed out and quieted the motor back to brand new. If I had heard valves clicking or a knock it would have went right to Ford immediately for repairs. Its like the idiot who thinks black tape over the check engine light solves the problem. The CEL is on for a reason and therefore needs adressing, you hear an odd noise in your engine and you are worried you take it to the dealer immediately not throw something in it thinking thats going to permenantly solve the problem. I've been using Lucas Oil now for over 20K miles and my engine has stayed smooth clean and quiet without any problems.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Common sense dictates that you should put in additives in some form down the road to help assist the engine parts and reduce wear on the motor.

Sounds like you're talking about oil....cause that is what oil does.

If your oil choice is failing in it's job, then get one that does what it's suppose to. Don't add yet another oil "additive" that will correct supposed problems with your oil.

I recommend Mobil One. I like their formulation. I think they put alot of thought into it. I don't think a third party oil additive company is going to improve it by adding in a quart of their own formulation. I do think adding in a quart of a third party oil "additive" changes Mobil One's formulation...for the worse.

I work on airplanes in the military. We only use Mobil One oil for all our motors. C-130's, HH65's, HH60's and so on. We do not add any additive to the motors. Lockheed, Boing, General Electric, Aerospecial, all my AFTO's and regulations does not believe you need oil additives....you just need oil that does its job. BMW and Ford also doesn't believe you need oil additives.

Did you ever think that if Lucas Oil was so great and they are so smart that they are able to make a small additive bottle that will make a major oil company's product work better...well, why don't they just make their own oil flat out? Geesh, if they can make a small bottle that corrects other peoples formulations, then they must be able to make some fantastic oil using only their own formulation.

I think it's because as long as they are just an "additive", it's kinda hard to prove one way or the other that their **** actually does anything without any real testing. I know BMW went through very thorugh testings for oil, because putting the wrong stuff in will effect your motor and cost them money because of warranty.....and they do not want you adding ****. They actually specifically tell you exactly what oil to use and will void your warranty if you don't.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts