Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'll buy 5W-20 Mobil 1 if the Fiesta requires 5W-20. Only full synthetic for me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My dealer will be providing free oil and filter changes for 75,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first and will be using the 5W20 sythetic blend. Although I'm a big fan of Mobil 1, I'll stick with the good free stuff.

Besides, the chemist in Bob is the Oil Guy was way over my head; but I believed him - whatever he said.

·
Registered
260 Posts
first oil change

I just had my first oil change done today. They recommended I bring it in @ 1500 miles or so for the first one...and the first oil change was free with the new car purchase.

The invoice says they used: XO-5W20-QSP. I don't know what the XO means but I'm going to assume the QSP is for Quaker State.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I got my first oil and filter change today at 3187 miles. It was free! and the first 2011 Fiesta oil change they've ever done :D It only took 24 minutes from when I pulled in until it was ready for me to drive away. The service guy wasn't sure that they even had an oil filter for a Fiesta, however the FL-910S is used on several Ford vehicles so they had them on the shelf.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very interesting information. Great find! I will be running this in my car when i change my oil. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Went to a local Auto Zone thinking they wouldn't have this weight oil and never have the new 910S filter. OMG, they had both on the shelves! The Motorcraft oil even comes in a 5-qt size! Good start to a Monday.:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Spoke too soon!!

So much for a good start to a Monday...

Somewhere in Mexico, some little guy is laughing his a** off about overtightening the oil filter. They must install them with a machine that grossly overtorques them.:mad: (My last new Ford--99 Contour V-6, same problem). I had to resort to the "desperate" maneuver; hammering a long screwdriver all the way through and cranking on it like a ship's wheel. Even then, I could hardly budge it. It should only be turned a half-rotation after contacting the gasket. I turned it one and a quarter turns before I could loosen it by hand. Ridiculous!! The oil drain plug was a snap. So was filling-as long as you have a funnel.
Hope you DIY'ers have better luck than I did. At least it will be easier next time.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I had to do the screwdriver skewer once myself. You do what you have to.;)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What type of oil filter wrench were you using?
I have not had any problems since I modified my band type wrench that constricts tighter as you try and turn. Not sure what it's actually called. Anyway, I taped in some strips of industrial 40 grit sandpaper which bite into the filter and holds.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Everyone that wants to do their own oil changes should have the appropiate oil filter socket cap attachment (looks like a giant socket you'd find in a socket wrench set) that covers the bottom of the filter...it is a perfect fit and gives the plenty of torque to remove even the most over tourqued filter..

Most cars that come from the factory have the oil filter put on by a robot and also they usually install the filter without lubing the gasket as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
does the dealer tell you when you need an oil change? Im new to the dealer thing....otherwise how do you know when to change the oil? I am used to my old 1995 BMW 325i E36 and the computer usually let me know when..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does the dealer tell you when you need an oil change? Im new to the dealer thing....otherwise how do you know when to change the oil? I am used to my old 1995 BMW 325i E36 and the computer usually let me know when..
A light in the dash will turn on. It is not clear whether this is an actual oil life monitor that may come on at different mileages based on driving conditions, or if it just counts 10,000 miles (the service interval listed in the owner's manual, although the manual says that the light may come on at intervals "up to" 10,000 miles). The owner's manual gives instructions on how to reset the light after changing the oil.

Even if you forget about the light (if it does not turn on), it is easy to remember 10,000 miles.

Note that there are some other services to do, such as rotating the tires and doing inspections.

Dealers often suggest more frequent service intervals than owner's manuals (this is not unique to Ford dealers).

·
Registered
21 Posts
When mine arrives, I'll change the oil to Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy and switch to a Bosch 3330 filter. Will prob change it again at 3k miles before stepping to the spec 10k interval.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i also used mobil 1 synthetic. but used 4 qts of 5w20 and the final .20 qts with 0w20... i used the extended fram filter thats good for 10,000 miles..did first change at 1300 miles and am going to change at 7500 mile intervals..and yes the filter on mine was very tight when they are only supposed to be 1/2 turn after snugg...had cap style that slides over end of filter,strap wrench might have slipped without mods to it...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Whats in it from factory?

I changed my oil a couple weeks ago at 3500 miles. Used the Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend. Anyone out there from Ford know what Ford is using at the factory: full-syn, syn-blend, or regular 5w-20 oil?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts