Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Last night my wife drove it for over an hour on the highway to come home. I drove it after, and it was very hard to move the shift lever. It was completely normal moving left to right in neutral. But if I tried to go into any gear, man was it hard I would estimate around 10-15lbs of force was needed. This was both with the car on and off. I was shocked. By far the worst it has been.
Then I drove it this morning and it was COMPLETELY normal. I was so confused. Not even a hint of extra resistance. I dropped my wife off at the train station, about 15 min drive. And it was 100% the whole ride there. On the way back I started to feel the resistant start growing. by the time I got home it was hard to shift again, about half as hard as it was last night 5-7.5lbs.
END UPDATE/
I have a 2012 Fiesta SE, manual.
Trying to shift gears has started to become difficult to do. It feels like moving the shifter through thick peanut butter or molasses. A liquid with a high viscosity.
Some bullet points:
- I am in Florida, this has nothing to do with cold weather. We used to live in Vermont and I have experienced this sort of thing in the Winters, it has just been rainy and hot (80s) could it have to do with moisture and heat?
- It has done this in the past. We have owned this car for 3 years and this problem has happened 8-10 times. But it always returns back to normal after a day or two. So we have never done anything about it. But now it's been 3 days and it only seems to be getting worse like the viscosity is rising, irregardless to if we drive it for 5 minutes or 2 hours, highway or city. It don't matter.
- Gears are fine once engaged. They don't skip out anything.
- Clutch pedal feels completely normal.
- I think I recall this happening around rainy times. But then I remember it happening when it has been dry too so I dropped that hypothesis. Could it have to do with moisture mixing with the tranny fluid? But it has been part of heavy rain and it's been fine.

I will have the car tonight and try to troubleshoot more. Try to get a more accurate description of the problem.

I am normally a pro Google searcher. But I don't know how to optimize the description to search this. I have "tried hard to move", "through peanut butter", "lots of resistance", etc. But I either find cold weather talk or the gears having trouble getting selected, or skipping out. People talk about it being really hard like they hurt their hand, kinda difficult. Mine is not like that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 2012 Fiesta SE, manual.
Trying to shift gears has started to become difficult to do. It feels like moving the shifter through thick peanut butter or molasses. A liquid with a high viscosity.
Some bullet points:
- I am in Florida, this has nothing to do with cold weather. We used to live in Vermont and I have experienced this sort of thing in the Winters, it has just been rainy and hot (80s) could it have to do with moisture and heat?
- It has done this in the past. We have owned this car for 3 years and this problem has happened 8-10 times. But it always returns back to normal after a day or two. So we have never done anything about it. But now it's been 3 days and it only seems to be getting worse like the viscosity is rising, irregardless to if we drive it for 5 minutes or 2 hours, highway or city. It don't matter.
- Gears are fine once engaged. They don't skip out anything.
- Clutch pedal feels completely normal.
- I think I recall this happening around rainy times. But then I remember it happening when it has been dry too so I dropped that hypothesis. Could it have to do with moisture mixing with the tranny fluid? But it has been part of heavy rain and it's been fine.

I will have the car tonight and try to troubleshoot more. Try to get a more accurate description of the problem.

I am normally a pro Google searcher. But I don't know how to optimize the description to search this. I have "tried hard to move", "through peanut butter", "lots of resistance", etc. But I either find cold weather talk or the gears having trouble getting selected, or skipping out. People talk about it being really hard like they hurt their hand, kinda difficult. Mine is not like that.
Have you checked the bushes that the linkages run through? These can get crudded up and make shifting difficult. There's aftermarket ones for the ST but not sure about the 5 speed box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not checked that out. I didn't get to see the car last night, but I will definitely get to it by this weekend.
I posted it on another forum and some people recommended I try a few other things like. Check gear fluids in the tranny, hydraulic system like the master cylinder or change the clutch fluid, mechanical linkages from shifter to tranny, shift camel our pivot that's binding somewhere, a frayed shift cable. So I have lots to look at. But since you have experience with this specific car, I'm gonna start with your suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the bushes that the linkages run through? These can get crudded up and make shifting difficult. There's aftermarket ones for the ST but not sure about the 5 speed box.
I got to drive the car last night and this morning.
Last night my wife drove it for over an hour on the highway to come home. I drove it after, and it was very hard to move the shift lever. It was completely normal moving left to right in neutral. But if I tried to go into any gear, man was it hard I would estimate around 10-15lbs of force was needed. This was both with the car on and off. I was shocked. By far the worst it has been.
Then I drove it this morning and it was COMPLETELY normal. I was so confused. Not even a hint of extra resistance. I dropped my wife off at the train station, about 15 min drive. And it was 100% the whole ride there. On the way back I started to feel the resistant start growing. by the time I got home it was hard to shift again, about half as hard as it was last night 5-7.5lbs.
Does this align with the bushes getting gunked up?
Oh and also I want to know if you think I am doing serious damage by driving it more. Should I uber to the auto parts store when I need to get replacement parts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
See if there’s any leaking on the transmission side of the shift cables—this happened to me last year with me ‘15 S 5 speed. It was a seal gone in the shifting mechanism that the cables connect to, and a “sliding block” was binding.

I’d have a look, I’m just getting to work so I’ll have to look at my service papers later to see how ford worded it. But I had a part # and was able to look up this shift block easily once I knew where to direct my searches with the hard shift problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got under the car yesterday and also took off the shifter housing. I didn’t see any sign of leaks but I am not sure exactly where to look, and it’s quite dirty down there so it’s hard to see any leak evidence. I took some pics of the area.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h7XP1OXSe8BzQV5G34
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5us8TKc8dRhIgppx23
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2evzKunZCnz8qFzG3

Interior
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ivtHNDnwRwsQ5gFP24
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RaQ6zC1RXjOiPc072

What do you all think?

I also sprayed the area down with a rust cutting lubricant because I have hear that that has helped a lot of people with this issue (Finally found a thread with someone experiencing a similar situation) But it did not seem to help one bit. I can try to spray it more, but there was no change at all and I sprayed A LOT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went for a test drive and got the engine hot and made it super hard to shift (I hope I am not doing extra damage every time I do this...)
So I paid attention to the clutch to see if it was possible the master cylinder. It is now, Even when I could barely get it out of gear, as soon as I pressed the clutch it disengaged from the engine. It is just physically hard to move the shifter down

so then I parked it and popped off the shift cable. I was able to move that very easily. But then when I tried to move the Shifter block (not sure what that piece is called.) It was noticeably more difficult to move than when I did the same thing on a cold engine

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your shift linkage lever needs grease.
1. Remove the linkage cover on the front bottom of the transmission.
2. Remove both cables. Be careful to not change their length.
3. Remove circlip from the lever spindle.
4. Remove lever, may need some persistence to remove.
5. Grease spindle on the transmission.
6. Put some grease where the linkage connects to the lever.
7. Reinstall is reverse of removal.

I found this on YouTube from a European Fiesta owner.

Good luck.

Curt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts