Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished project:

Retrofitted SYNC3 into my 2014 Fiesta, reprogrammed it entirely for my car including enabling HD radio, electronic AC controls, backup-cam, GPS, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Really proud of the work done. Can do a full tutorial if anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Interested in the AC controls. Also, with the backup camera does your Auto day/night still work and can you change the brightness?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd be very interested in a guide for this.
But my main question would be, what was your original set-up?
Did you have Sync 1 like on EU cars? Or did you have Sync 1.1 or 2 pre-installed on your Fiesta like on much US cars?
I have the stock Sync 1 system on my EU car and currently looking around to changing it to the US Sync 3 version.
So definitely interested here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interested in the AC controls. Also, with the backup camera does your Auto day/night still work and can you change the brightness?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Yeah the auto day/night still works and I can change the brightness. AC controls as well as the backup camera are just values that have to be changed in the CAN bus, I found the right ones and changed them by trial and error.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upgraded from what? The base system or MFT? I'm highly interested in what you did!
I had MFT SYNC2, so not the blue/orange LCD. MFT SYNC2 and SYNC3 wire harnesses are identical, so no cutting or modding required. With the blue/orange LCD a lot of modding required. There was a guy who made the harnesses with the female jacks Sync1 to male Sync2/3 compatible, but he does not make them anymore. If you have a wiring diagram I'm sure it's possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have Sync 1 like on EU cars? Or did you have Sync 1.1 or 2 pre-installed on your Fiesta like on much US cars?
I have the stock Sync 1 system on my EU car and currently looking around to changing it to the US Sync 3 version.
Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a couple of months, just getting to answering the questions. So, as I said in the response above, Sync 1 (blue/red lcd) requires modding as the wire harness is not directly compatible, they are different jacks. If you got your hands on a male jack from a Fiesta with SYNC2/3 system and rewired it to your car (which would be totally doable if you had a wiring diagram) then you would have a chance of making sync 2 or sync 3 work with your car. Bear in mind, however, that you won't have all of the functionality, as Fiestas with Sync2/3 mostly come with electronic air control, sirius xm, backup cams, HD radio, etc. So you obviously would be missing some wires on the back of your harness, but if you got the parts such as electronic air control, HD radio, a stock or an aftermarket backup cam, you could totally enable those functions. The functions are enabled in CAN bus through an OBD2 connection. I used FORScan, which is software that allows you to browse different modules of your car and edit values in those modules. SYNC3 is an APIM module, and there is a set of values that FORScan can read from that module. Those values are editable, and represent toggles for certain functions of the car. For example, I enabled my SYNC3 (for ****s and giggles) to have dual zone climate control functionality, which looks cool, but doesn't work, because my car lacks the dual zone AC. I still have the spreadsheet I made with trial and error of what those different values represent. If anyone is interested, I can tell more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Finished project:

Retrofitted SYNC3 into my 2014 Fiesta, reprogrammed it entirely for my car including enabling HD radio, electronic AC controls, backup-cam, GPS, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Really proud of the work done. Can do a full tutorial if anyone else is interested.

I'd also be interested in a guide to what you've done. I'd like to try upgrading my Sync 1 system

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is exciting to see completed.

I was just looking into the possibility of doing this yesterday and though, "maybe it'd be too difficult."

I guess I'll get back to trying to track down the parts.

What did this cost you BTW?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, I know you haven't replied for a while but I'm in the process of researching what would be needed to convert Sync 1 to Sync 3. Your As-Built spreadsheet would be very helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is exciting to see completed.

I was just looking into the possibility of doing this yesterday and though, "maybe it'd be too difficult."

I guess I'll get back to trying to track down the parts.

What did this cost you BTW?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
So, funny story, people keep saying this is too good to be true. I managed to find a SYNC3 for exactly a $100 bucks from a wrecked Tennessee Fiesta, they MOST DEFINITELY didn't know what they had. It was also mislabeled on ebay, literally said "Ford Fiesta touch screen" LOL. Did a little bit of research, turned out GPS antennas are same across most ford models. Actually, a LOT of car makes even. Got a VW/Audi GPS antenna for 20 bucks purely to have my little compass icon functionality :) This is the one. Then went on Tasca Parts and got a 2017 USB hub for Apple CarPlay functionality for about 56 bucks I think. Also need the male jack for the USB hub, uses a different one. I think that wraps it up money-wise. Had to cut a couple wires from my old USB hub, and wire up the new hub, and you'll also need an OBD2 usb cable and FORScan with license (it's free) to reprogram the new APIM, as it most likely will be from a differently spec'ed out car.

Pro tip: always look for mislabeled items for a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, here is the AS-BUILT spreadsheet. As complete as it could be right now I believe. It is from a Ford Fusion, but a lot of the values are same. Some you could play around with when it comes to the APIM. Mine is not nearly as complete, but I could look for mine specifically if anybody needs any more stuff

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts