Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure where to post this, so this will do. I have about 1600 miles on her now and I'm starting to be a bit of an hooligan once in a while. Third gear, 40 mph corners and that kind of nonsense.

So I take the left to my friends place, off the highway, pretty quickly and the fool who was there waiting to turn left ignored my turn signals, and I guess assumed I was going too fast to turn and pulled out and tried to t-bone me. I straightened her out then turned hard again, half way though this rather fast corner and just slid the back around in a perfect movie level turn to be beside him and completed my turn. All under control.

I have been doing this for over 50 years with various cars from semi scrap, to very nice indeed, but the sheer nonchalance displayed by my little car is very sweet indeed. Earned herself a set Konis yesterday. Now I just have to pay for them. ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A quote I always loved "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" applies pretty well to the N/A Fiesta. It's power level is nothing to cheer about - but it's nimble as f***.

I have a 2011 SES currently sitting on a full ST suspension swap and an added rear sway bar. This little car's handling makes my best friend with a tuned-STI jealous, lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually since switching to Chevron 94 octane champagne, no alcohol at all, I have experienced a decided increase in power. Only a turbo is gonna do this for you but mine I estimate, with a half century of butt dyno experience, got about 10 hp and 15 ft/lbs from the good gas. This is entirely because the computer has to pull time far less often under compression.

With the figures for a NA Fiesta SFE at 123 hp and 125 ft/lbs at 2500 RPM, it pulls hard from 1800 RPM, I guess 135 HP and 140 ft/lbs is about right. She scrabbles quite hard if you add a lot of power, in a corner, or from stopped. I have traction control off and she will spin the tires.

I pass stuff often and its amazingly strong for what it is. Your SES will not be in the same power league if you have not done anything about it.

After the Konis we get Elbachs, wheels, tires, sway bar and then perhaps some motor stuff. A 6 speed with an LSD would be nice. ;) I will go easy, I'm poor and its still pretty new.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Interestingly enough, I dynoed the car at 6 months and it made 110hp at the wheels on a well calibrated dyno. Which is great! considering Ford specifies the car had the 123hp you mentioned (which would be flywheel measured hp). There is usually a larger % of power loss between flywheel and ground measured HP numbers.

Currently have upgraded intake (the Mountune cold air intake), silicone intake hose, upgraded plugs and wires, and the stock Fiesta ST cat-back exhaust. Have a performance header on the way for an install this summer.

I'll have to run the dyno again after all is done and see where I stand because that's literally all that can be done to the 1.6 N/A engine. No tuning is available for the non-ST ECU, so any major engine mods like a turbo aren't feasible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the silly turbo that makes the SFE so strong. You have power from 2 grand, lots of it and the real mileage comes from pretty serious pull in 5th at 1700.

If I beat it it's very quick, but you have to use the middle and top to really go. I am going to do about the same to my motor as time goes by. Open up both ends and use all of what's there. Then maybe chip it as it will be ready.

It reminds of when I bought my 68 Mini Cooper in 69, used but not much. Just getting to sliding it took forever, who would think you would need to go that fast. ;)

My landlord was so impressed with mine he bought a 2017 SE and loves it. I still pick on the dealer about my cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts