Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was under the impression that the Fiesta never needed gas. LOL!

Today I got gas for the first time. I calculated 33 mpg.
This is mostly city driving.

Not bad considering that my shifting is still pretty inefficient.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My first fill up with mixed driving (40% city) came in at 34mpg while the computer was showing 35.9.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just filled up for the first time today. Received the car with 20 or so miles on it. Went 386 miles and calculated 37 mpg. The computer in the car said about 35 mpg. Once I get through this next tank I'll be able to give a better reading.

On a short 20 mile trip today though I was able to average 40.3 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. Can't wait for the engine to be broken in to find out what it can really do!

·
Registered
13 Posts
anyone else find the computer mpg average is a little off from when you do the numbers. computer average was 35 and i came up with 33
2 mpg off is that the same as everyone else getting?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Over 40 mpg in first 100 miles!

I purchased my SE hatch on Monday from a dealership a little over 100 miles away from home. Using my recently acquired "hypermiling" skills (which are still in the process of being honed, btw) I made it 107 miles on 2.6 gallons for a calculated 41.1 mpg (I realize that margin of error may be a little high because of the short distance used to calculate and the fact that the dealership filled up the tank originally). Just over 100 of these miles were on the interstate and I was averaging around 60 mph (I think the trip computer average speed was 57 mph). The trip computer read 43.0 mpg, so it looks my computer gives a reading about 5% high.

Now that I've gotten the car home, increased the tire pressure by a couple of pounds at each corner, and removed the front license plate bracket (a fun 3 hour project eventually requiring the removal of the front bumper cover thanks to those rediculous anchors used), I hope to break the 42 mpg barrier soon, especially after the engine gets broken in and I change to synthetic oil. Right now however I'm enjoying a little spirited driving around town, and it appears that I'm still getting about 34 mpg! I love this car!

·
Registered
173 Posts
anyone else find the computer mpg average is a little off from when you do the numbers. computer average was 35 and i came up with 33
2 mpg off is that the same as everyone else getting?
mpgs can easily vary plus or minus 1-2 mpg by filling one tank more or less full than the previous one. You need a bunch of tanks to really have confidence in your numbers. That said, my build-in gauge is typically about 2/3 of an mpg too optimistic (about 2%).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had several cars with the avg mpg display and none of them have ever been spot on with the actual mileage. All of them including my Fiesta have typically been 2 - 3 mpg low of what they actually got.

I have had my Fiesta almost 3 weeks now and I drive about 90 miles a day to and from work. I can typically drive 70 mph for the majority of the trip. The avg mpg is still going up steadily - it is up to 38.2 as of today - but I have not reset the avg mpg since I bought it. I have filled up about 4 times and got between 38 and 40 mpg. However, the mileage dropped slightly last week due to strong winds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had my Fiesta almost 3 weeks now and I drive about 90 miles a day to and from work. I can typically drive 70 mph for the majority of the trip. The avg mpg is still going up steadily - it is up to 38.2 as of today - but I have not reset the avg mpg since I bought it. I have filled up about 4 times and got between 38 and 40 mpg. However, the mileage dropped slightly last week due to strong winds.
This is exactly what I want to hear. I just bought a SE tonight to take over the miles for my 05 Mustang GT. I also have a 90 mile round trip commute and the Fiesta should fit the bill perfectly.

The Stang is officially a garage queen! Albeit one with 110k miles on it :).

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This is exactly what I want to hear. I just bought a SE tonight to take over the miles for my 05 Mustang GT. I also have a 90 mile round trip commute and the Fiesta should fit the bill perfectly.

The Stang is officially a garage queen! Albeit one with 110k miles on it :).
Seems like there are a few of us 90 mile round-trip commuters. I've got over 9k miles on now, and even throughout this very tough winter (over 80 inches of snow and temps as low as -30), I've averaged over 37 mpg. My very worst tank was still over 33 mpg.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Seems like there are a few of us 90 mile round-trip commuters. I've got over 9k miles on now, and even throughout this very tough winter (over 80 inches of snow and temps as low as -30), I've averaged over 37 mpg. My very worst tank was still over 33 mpg.
I just look at my weekly commuting miles since I travel to 2 work sites - 550 miles a week. My best was around 41 MPG when it was sunny and not freezing cold. When it rains, I lose about 2 MPG even though I'm going slower. My worst was my initial fill-up - 36.5 MPG.

$3.50 a gallon and rising is still a shock.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
i Too am one of those 90+ Mile commuters, hearing these stories of 40 MPG+ is really making me anxious to take delivery of my Fiesta !

I am gladly retiring a 2003 Ford Escape from commuting duty, she has been a incredibly reliable car, just sooo thirsty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts