Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have beat my old MPG and miles to E personal records..My old bests were 44.1 mpg and 520 miles to E after a fill up...Today i stopped and put 2.83 gallons to top off tank.132 miles since last fill..this comes to 46.6 mpg and the computer showed 526 miles to E!!!!I am very glad i traded in the HYbrid fusion for my hatchback dct Fiesta...since i drive mainly hwy and didnt get all benefits of hybrid(motor stays on over 47mph).this was achieved at 65mph set on cruise just changed to mobil 1 synthetic and 120 mile hwy commute...:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
topped off today 188 miles.4.1 gallons bought..45.85 mpg...distance to empty=532 miles...am i happpy?? no question!!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
?????

Marc, do the math at even 42mpg. and 12.4 gallons that the tank holds that comes out to 520 miles...not everyone lies on here what would that prove...i have the pics on facebook if you find me...buy a fiesta and drive 120 all miles hwy commute at 66cruise and see what your results are...guess i lied about getting 40+ hwy mpg when i had my 10'fusion hybrid that was rated at 36 hwy...glad your a know it all....:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update...

filled up today after some rural driving to visit the family and work commute..had max ac on with fan setting #1 this tank...242 miles on trip computer it took 6.2 gallons..39.03mpg....after fill 525 to e on the obc....:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
todays fill

121 miles on trip computer.took 2.78 gallons=43.52mpg manually calculated..im still amazed at this lil' car...:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
todays fill up report..had gone 224 miles since last fill up...car took 5.54 gallons...this equated to 40.43 mpg...this was with the air on last 2 days,its been 90+ degrees....manually calculated not the obc.....:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Marc, Krnc#15,

Thanks for the reports. I look forward to contributing once mine arrives.

I remember besting my old Explorer at 24 mpg tank average once, my current Escape Hybrid at 36 mpg tank average. The Fiesta will take efficiency to the next level.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep up the work!

On my last tank I averaged 46.4 MPG my personal best. I only fill up though when the miles to empty is below 50 and usually below 0. I have never put more than about 11.5 gallons in. Not sure how much "usuable" fuel is in the tank, but if I keep that up eventually I will find out the hard way, undoubtably on a rainy night on a back road with banjos playing.:D

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
my personal "best" today was 13.7 mpg.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Too cool for us.

eRic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
462 Posts
what exactly are you guys doing, I fill mine and its generally reading around 340 miles till empty, thats 180 LESS than reported by the gentleman that started this thread. Shes in for her first oil change today, going with synth, and Im getting them to check the fuel gauge which even when to the brim doesnt register full...could that be affecting my Miles till Empty?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
what exactly are you guys doing, I fill mine and its generally reading around 340 miles till empty, thats 180 LESS than reported by the gentleman that started this thread. Shes in for her first oil change today, going with synth, and Im getting them to check the fuel gauge which even when to the brim doesnt register full...could that be affecting my Miles till Empty?
You can reset your average MPG number by toggling to it and then holding, just like the trip meter. The first 2000-3000 miles seem to be the break-in period for the Fiesta. People tend to see the really awesome MPG numbers after that and by driving with an average speed closer to 70.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I do reset every time, but not once has the Miles till empty registered above 350....and 350 divided by 12 = 29, yet the ave MPG's reads 32-34 ( we dont pussy foot ) so, what gives, and how is someone getting 500 plus till empty...thats NOT a small dis-crepency...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Could be a variety of factors. Such as the OPs great mileage was achieved on a solely highway trip. My bet is they have the 6-spd Auto, which ups the mileage more than our manuals in the Fiesta. Cruise control helps. Speed helps.

I have a 70 mile round trip commute daily, which is mostly highway with a little bit of city driving at the beginning and end of each commute. I got a few too many tickets in the Focus so I'm trying very hard to keep the Fiesta between 55-70 depending on what portion of highway I've driving around here. I'm generally seeing 'Miles to Empty' numbers in the 430's when I fill up now - which is significantly better than when I first bought the car.

If you are still having trouble with the gauge, it may be affecting the reading, but past that, it pretty much all has to due with driving style.

·
Registered
116 Posts
im still seeing some fluctuations in my numbers but im not out of that break in period yet, nor am i driving with fuel economy on my mind 100% of the time, but ive still been hitting a combined 35-38mpg average with almost a 50-50 split in hwy and city with the 6 spd auto so im content :)

i did play around with the average fuel economy readout, and reset it at certain speeds to see what cruising at those speeds will do on flat road. off the top of my head, because it would be dangerous to write that down as im driving :p here are my numbers

60km/h - ~3.5l/100km (37mph 67.2mpg) yes, if your running low on fuel and don't care to get honked at this is the way! :p

80km/h - ~5.5l/100km (50mph 42.7mpg)
100km/h - ~6.0l/100km/h (62mph 39.2 mpg)
120km/h - 6.3l/100km/h (75mph 37.3mpg)

now this is around the freezing mark with varying cross winds so depending on your commute and the weather it can change a lot, when you accelerate from stop with traffic expect 7.5-15L/100km or 15-31mpg depending on how much you push it, and wide open throttle was something around 25L/100km or 9.4mpg, at 62mph on a slight up hill it increased to 7.5l 100km/h
so to get that nice 520mi to E its not impossible, just takes some care and an average commuting speed of 50ish mph, flat ground, and little to no stops really helps :)

most ive filled up to date was 41L when it said 10km/E and that means possibly 6L or an extra 100ish km that could still be in there...maybe one day with an extra gas can in the trunk i'll test it out but its too cold to chance it now haha.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I do reset every time, but not once has the Miles till empty registered above 350....and 350 divided by 12 = 29, yet the ave MPG's reads 32-34 ( we dont pussy foot ) so, what gives, and how is someone getting 500 plus till empty...thats NOT a small dis-crepency...
350 divided by 10. 35mpg puts you right about smack dab on your readout numbers.

The 'E' on the Fiesta is the 10 gallon mark. And yes, the tank is 12.4 gallons total. This car has a 2 gallon reserve it likes to keep a secret. ;)

In all actually, all modern cars lie a little bit about what is 'E'. It's all a matter of figuring how far past the 'E' the car can tolerate before running into problems. Like stated on another thread, I generally go 40-50 miles past 'E' and put in 11.3 - 11.5 gallons at fill up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
just talked with the Tech ( I work at a ford Dealer...yes, it helps...) he too has noticed the fuel gauge only registering 90%...no TSBs they know of ( Oasis would notify the tech ) he is checking a couple of other things, may have to replace the pump????? I would have thought it was a sensor somewhere, but what do i know. I STILL want to know how someone is registering 500 miles till empty....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts