Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're really liking our Fiesta SES, but have not yet become comfortable with the SYNC system for navigation. Being dependent on voice recognition, as well as a cell phone, seems more cumbersome than using a stand-alone GPS on which you can just type in a destination. I find that the SYNC navigation works fine if you have already got a destination entered on SyncMyRide.com.

What does everyone else think of SYNC for navigation? If you have decided to go with a stand-alone GPS unit, where have you mounted it?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I used the SYNC direction the weekend before last to enter an address that I didn't have entered into syncmyride.com and I thought that it worked very well using the voice commands plus I wasn't distracted trying to type in an address while driving or didn't have to pull over to enter it safely. So I will not be using an aftermarket GPS until the 3 year free service is done. Even then I will weigh the cost and features available then on both SYNC and aftermarket systems because both will be different by that time.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have TomTom running on an ASUS A626 pocket PC. that wedges perfectly in front of the multifunction display :) It's not mounted per se and I don't leave it up there when it's not in use or I park my Fiesta. However I have been using SYNC turn-by-turn navigation and it's awesome. I've sent directions from google maps and used it via voice commands. The TomTom version I have does not tell you street names only "turn left ahead" and you need to look at the screen. I like that SYNC turn-by-turn says "turn left on Michigan Avenue" then goes back to playing the radio or whatever until you approach another intersection and need to do something.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I haven't used SYNC yet, so my opinion may be considered "void" by some. ;b

I am glad Ford didn't put in a full color GPS navigation screen and saved on costs in that department. It's not much to add monetarily, but it boosts the price notably. Instead of the car costing another $1,000 you an spend $300 for whichever GPS you actually want. :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I use a Tom-Tom and have not tried out the Sync nav yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tried the Sync turn by turn twice. Thought that it took WAY too long to download directions for a destination not 15 miles away. Bought a refurb Garmin reasonable on Amazon. I will have to try the SyncMyRide route and see if that speeds things up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@LMTech -- I'm glad to hear that it works well for you; I should try it some more to see if I can get it to work better (I think part of the problem might be my British accent!)
@eonac --- I, too, thought it took quite a long time to download directions.
I will definitely play around with it more (any excuse to get in the car!).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I prefer the CoPilot app on my iPhone.
Is it that great? I love my wife's garmin, I hate the GPS on my iPhone... Looks like they require the $100 car kit from tomtom... also their $4.99 price tag is really low... really low with only 3 stars, that frightens me ;P

If it's great, then I suppose it's a far better deal than the garmin i've been eyeing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is it that great? I love my wife's garmin, I hate the GPS on my iPhone... Looks like they require the $100 car kit from tomtom... also their $4.99 price tag is really low... really low with only 3 stars, that frightens me ;P

If it's great, then I suppose it's a far better deal than the garmin i've been eyeing.
Its better than TomTom and slightly below Navigon, but for $5 how can you complain?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't have my Fiesta yet, but these are the options I have:

- Directions through Sync: Phone dials Microsoft's TellMe and gets directions. Since it's not using a data connection, then a complete call has to be made for the directions to be downloaded.

- Google Navigation on Android: I'm hoping I can pipe the voice directions & recognition through Bluetooth. I like Google's Navigation, but it often leads me to the wrong place. Will probably be faster than Sync dialing in to Microsoft.

- Garmin Nuvi: In the same Bluetooth situation as the Android phone. More accurate than Google, but requires $$$ for updates.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Its better than TomTom and slightly below Navigon, but for $5 how can you complain?
because the site says $5 PLUS the tomtom mount which is closer to $100

·
Registered
102 Posts
I didn't get Sync in my Fiesta. (I took the $595.00 credit instead!)
So I'll be using my Garmin Nuvi.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts