Fiesta Faction banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got off the phone with ken at mountune and the kits are available NOW! It's the same kit as the 5 speed fiesta with just a different induction hose. They have all the parts in stock and the full induction kit it's $439 and the induction hose is $179(i'm pretty sure those were the prices but I didn't write them down so don't quote me). If you want to order the kit or the hose just call them directly and they can take your order over the phone or you can order the 5 speed kit and make a note that it's for the 1.0. If it were me I would just call.
Mountune USA (714) 424-9400

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
$439?!?! I was all in on this but not now. What HP/TQ numbers are they claiming? I am going back to modifying my own.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't think they're claiming anything besides induction noise which I've already modified my airbox for, essentially doing the same thing. Extra air volume going into the air box

Won't be doing anything major until exhaust work and tuning comes into play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think they're claiming anything besides induction noise which I've already modified my airbox for, essentially doing the same thing. Extra air volume going into the air box

Won't be doing anything major until exhaust work and tuning comes into play.
I just checked their site, their claims are power, torque, and induction sound but no specifics. Only specifics are a reduction in pressure drop from which theoretically means better efficiency and more power. Not trying to throw dirt on them at all because its great that parts are being offered but I wouldn't rush out and get it until it had been dyno'd without ill effects (see cold air intake with no tune / leaning out / 05 Mustangs). Which might be next, seeing their stuff they've done for other models.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just checked their site, their claims are power, torque, and induction sound but no specifics. Only specifics are a reduction in pressure drop from which theoretically means better efficiency and more power. Not trying to throw dirt on them at all because its great that parts are being offered but I wouldn't rush out and get it until it had been dyno'd without ill effects (see cold air intake with no tune / leaning out / 05 Mustangs). Which might be next, seeing their stuff they've done for other models.
I believe, could be wrong, that our engine has a MAF and a MAP sensor on the intake system. Cars that only utilize a MAF sensor will run leaner on a stock tune with an aftermarket filter. The addition of a MAP sensor allows the ECU to properly account for the amount of air available to the engine, thus not causing issues with engine management.

A re-tune would probably show higher HP/TQ gains over a non-tuned engine. Once you start getting in to changing the inter-cooler and turbo back exhausts, a re-tune would be required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe, could be wrong, that our engine has a MAF and a MAP sensor on the intake system. Cars that only utilize a MAF sensor will run leaner on a stock tune with an aftermarket filter. The addition of a MAP sensor allows the ECU to properly account for the amount of air available to the engine, thus not causing issues with engine management.
Well, not wrong, but maybe not 100% correct. Within the confines of the stock programming, factors (or tolerances, or adders) can generally accomodate minor mods and allow small power gains. The problem is when changes you make go outside the base maps and the ability for the stock programming to correlate what its seeing from the sensors to the correct action. For instance, the stock ECM probably has the ability to modify fuel and spark maps to accomodate plugged air filters. So even with a 25% restriction in the filter, and change in corresponding air flow and mass air flow, the ECM can compensate. But more flow than what it is prepared to see (from a filter, airbox mod)? There might be 10-20% allowance and no issue. Or the map is relatively restrictive and the adders / corrections allowed are restrictive as well, say 5%, which a good flowing intake system may easily blow through. Then you run the risk of throwing codes, running lean, etc.

If these engines have a MAP sensor it's probable that it is for more finite tuning within the confines of the base map. If it's post turbo (between the turbo and air intake) it may only provide pressure sensing. I don't know enough about these engines or tuning to say.

I would be far less worried about sticking something like this on my 02 Focus with a Zetec. The ECM mapping is not granular enough that it would cause an issue. But the 1.0L turbo with direct injection is something new, my assumption is that it could be very particular about changes to the intake tract and I kind of want to see someone go out and really mess with these engines that can afford to make a few mistakes first! Not guys with a car payment who would be financially devastated with a blown engine (not saying you or anyone in particular). I just remember the hearburn when the Focus first came out with the Zetec.

EDIT: I reread the above and it may sound like I'm saying buy Mountune air intake = blow up engine. NO, and I'm sure they wouldn't market it without testing first, my take based on their background. I am just super anal about changes to my cars, I like to know exactly what I am doing before I do something, and as of yet I don't think there have been any comprehensive tuning solutions for the 1.0 (as far as I know...).

EDIT #2: I also don't want to derail this thread so I'd be happy to have my post moved somewhere else. I think it's great that parts are starting to be offered for these cars... don't want to do anything to dampen enthusiasm or call in to question without specific details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think without a tangible and verified performance benefit (e.g. dyno verified HP and TQ gains) it's pricey. But I looked at the components, a full aluminum lower airbox , reusable style filter, and a reinforced silicone hose, that's actually not bad.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I think without a tangible and verified performance benefit (e.g. dyno verified HP and TQ gains) it's pricey. But I looked at the components, a full aluminum lower airbox , reusable style filter, and a reinforced silicone hose, that's actually not bad.
I just think it's lame that either they didn't test the performance and are selling on just their name. Or, they tested it and saw little to no improvements and are afraid to publish them. I'm guessing the latter. A pretty little noise maker for almost $500.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes hence my comment! Their release in the uk is 145 hp tune. Meaning.. Ten horsepower increase which my everyone else's standards is weak. And more expensive.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts