Fiesta Faction banner

Oil change indicator light question

18K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  cuemark8 
#1 ·
The owner's manual mentions an oil change indicator light and gives instructions on how to reset it. However, it does not mention how it is determined when it turns on.

Does it turn on based on how hard the car has been driven (e.g. using some proxy like total engine revolutions, total hours running, total fuel consumed, etc.) to give a variable oil change interval, or does it just count miles until the 10,000 mile maximum service interval listed in the manual?

#2 ·
depends on the system. I know the one on toyota it just counts till the mileage. Some cars are based on how the car is driven. Just depends on how they are set up. Most are mileage that I have seen at my job. My dads gf's Mercedes just lets you know at mileage also.

#6 ·
hopefully you'll never see this light ;)

My Escape wants changes every 7,500 but I do them every 5,000 - the first two changes I reset my percentage (not possible on fiesta that I've found) to be 60% so it would warn me when I was close to 5,000 mi. I gave up this last time because i was mostly looking at the mileage and not really waiting for the warning message - plus i had to look it (how to change the percentage) up both times and that was no fun.

On the fiesta, I just plan on paying attention to mileage, when it's at 5k i'll change it.

this doesn't answer your question though... My assumption is that it is totally based on mileage since that's what the ford escape bases it on - and what eRic found in the manual seems to back this up.

#7 ·
Does it turn on based on how hard the car has been driven (e.g. using some proxy like total engine revolutions, total hours running, total fuel consumed, etc.) to give a variable oil change interval, or does it just count miles until the 10,000 mile maximum service interval listed in the manual?
It just counts miles since last reset
Some new Fords have an IOLM (Intelligent Oil Life Monitor) which takes
into account how the vehicle is driven, etc.
Unfortunately, the Fiesta isn't one of them and Jazzdog is correct.

#8 ·
I ran accross this "Hotsheet" a couple months ago, it is dated March / April this year:

Untitled Document

I was thinking the Fiesta had IOLM because of the following:

2011 Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

The new Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) system will be available on over 90% of the 2011 Model Year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold. The system uses information from the Powertrain Control Module and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval. The interval is calculated based upon the vehicle operating conditions.

The system uses the Message Center to display the messages below when the oil needs to be changed:

* "ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON" at 5% oil life remaining
* "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" at 0% oil life remaining

The oil change service interval can range from 3,000 to 10,000 miles depending on the vehicle operating conditions.

For further information, see the "2011 Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)" Dealer Communication dated February 8, 2010.

FL-910 Motorcraft Oil Filter Upgrade - New Part Number FL-910S

As discussed above, many Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles will begin utilizing the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor for the 2011 Model Year. This will increase oil and filter change intervals up to 10,000 miles or one year.

To meet this new interval, the FL-910 oil filter is being upgraded to FL-910S, incorporating a silicone anti-drain valve and other modifications to increase durability. The FL-910S will fit all applications calling for the FL-910. In addition, the FL-910S will be required for the new 2011 Fiesta launching in May.

For further information, see the Dealer Communication "FL-910 Motorcraft Oil Filter Upgrade - NEW Part Number FL-910S" dated February 22, 2010.

Perhaps the Fiesta requires this filter simply because of the improvements to it over the FL-910. Maybe the IOLM it just didn't make it to production in time and we'll see it later.

#9 ·
Perhaps the Fiesta requires this filter simply because of the improvements to it over the FL-910.
Whether or not the Fiesta has the oil life monitor or just counts miles, that is probably true. The manual variously lists 10,000 miles or "up to" 10,000 miles for oil changes, so the improved filter may be to reduce the number of filter issues over a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

#12 ·
So if we can go that long, does that mean we get synthetic oil from the factory? I've never seen a report that even blend oil is good past 5k...

Either way, before I head up for my drive to Seattle (from socal) I'm going to have it changed to amsoil.

#13 ·
I didn't do a destructive inspection on my first oil change, because cutting the oil fliter casing open would probably contaminate it anyway and.....I was in a hurry and lazy :)

This came off a BMW 128i after 1200 miles. BMW filters don't have a casing around it, the element can easily be torn apart and inspected.

#15 ·
The light comes on based on elapsed time and driving habits factored into an algorithm that determines when your oil change is due. When the light does come on, you can find the directions to reset it here.

http://oilresetpro.com/how-to-reset-oil-light-on-ford-fiesta/

They also have a free app available on Android and iOS that has every vehicle reset procedure in it. Super helpful for technicians like myself.

Hope this helps someone else as much as it helps me.

#16 ·
I have a 2014 Fiesta and I bought it like last Feb. I was told there was an oil life monitor, so I didn't worry about it, but my wife's car light just came on (2009 CRV) and I started wondering about my car.

I've only driven about 6700 miles, but it's definitely over a year. No indicator. Should I take it in? Can I trust the indicator?

#17 · (Edited)
Epoxy, can you run a VHR? It will tell you your oil life. It's still low miles so it may have not triggered. It is good practice to change oil at least once a year regardless of miles. It's a 10,000mi/1yr oil change at a minimum.

I always changed my oil at about 5,000-7,000mi so I figured the oil monitor never activated for me. However, since the first ever oil change, when I attempted to reset my oil monitor after an oil change I never had any kind of message in the display when trying to perform the reset. I went through the motions and process of resetting the oil life monitor without any indications what so ever it seemed to reset. After running a VHR I was and am able to confirm it reset but it otherwise seems to be non-functioning.
Only by accident did I discover that my oil monitor did not work. The previous time I changed my oil I never attepted to do a oil life reset. Just by chance through normal vehicle operations my vehicle performed a scheduled 5,000mi interval VHR. It was in this VHR that my oil life was shown to be 0% life. I had changed my oil recently so I know my oil was good and of quality. It was this 0% reading I was showing that confirmed my oil monitor light and message dislay didn't work. I did not recieve any notice or warning or indication message that an oil change was due or pending.

Also, it seems so people can reset there oil life monitor even though the display doesn't work. While others can't even seem to be able to even reset it. There VHR will forever read 0% .

I just always think these whole things are stupid. Best advice is to be vigilant and check oil and fluids and look under the hood once in awhile. I didn't know there was different oil reset proceudue between 2011-2013 and 2014-2015 models. 2014 and up is less complicated. I never get a message of any kind or light or idication that the oil life reset is in progress. If I turn my ignition on and press both pedals for about 25-30sec and stop and then turn ognition back off, it magically works and resets even though I get indication it has done anything. By taking the addional step of running a VHR afterwards I can confirm it has reset. This is only aspect of the system that works. Otherwise it's totally non-functional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.