Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see this sub-forum is for non-car topics but this IS a car topic.....nowhere else seemed to fit. Hope it's OK, so here goes:
Coachwerks in Victoria BC is restoring the bodyshell of my 1966 Peugeot 404C Injection, number 4598609.

In December 2016 the shell was delivered to Coachwerks.

Note the KF2 Injection engine, now on the stand in the photo

The new old stock body panels being dropped off at the blasting shop in November 2016

The car was placed onto its cart at Coachwerks December 10, 2016

In good company: a P1800 under plastic, a 914/6, an Austin Healey 3000, a 911 and a 300 SL

On the flatbed, taking a ride to the quick strip facility in Sidney BC, December 10th, 2016.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On January 6, 2017 I dropped a payment off at the shop and had a look. Progress was restricted by the slowness of the paint stripper blasting the replacement panels, specifically those for the the floor and chassis bits. Now they're all there and the work has begun, the first step being a cutting away of the floor elements. In about three weeks the lower portions should be done.

NOS panels on the shop floor - the other half of the new floor is behind the photo field of view.

Cut away floors

The original floors on their way to recycling!

404C on its cart....300 SL behind.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stopped by the shop January 14, 2017 to drop off a new front crossmember and rear jack mount I just got this week from Joern Haarmann....

Left front floor partially reconstructed, rocker panel/sill on this side is being made in the shop because I only have one in new old stock for the other side of the car.

Front left detail of floor under reconstruction

The car seen from the front

Reconstruction of the left floor (work in progress) seen from inside the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

January 21, 2017: Front suspension arms and Panhard rod mount are ready to go. All new hardware is available and new bushings are in as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
January 25, 2017: Excellent progress has been made: the floors and rocker panels are complete, the rear fender skins have been drilled off and the new ones readied, with work underneath in progress. It is fantastic to see!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
February 3, 2017: The new right rear fender is welded onto the car. The rear jack mount and part of the inner fender were just rebuilt. Looking good! This external fender was severely rusted before the transplant. I found the rear fenders from a Peugeot service point in Williamsburg, Ontario in 2004. Under $500 each, cheap!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These photos were taken Friday February 18, 2017 around 5 PM.

Major front end surgery was underway!

Front fenders are cut off!

Detail of cowl panel, not rusty at all inside.

Inner fender panel was not in that bad a condition, some repair was required near the bottom.

Dashboard with three rectangular holes gone and one round hole for the new - original type - wiper/washer switch!

Taillights fit, good!

Drilled out spot welds and removed outer McPherson strut tower skin.

Repair panels welded into the nose panel on both sides.

Interesting perspective!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
February 25, 2017:

Strut towers have been rebuilt with new OEM reinforcements and repaired skin, detailed finish to come...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
March 4, 2017:

The new front crossmember is on, some significant repairs were needed on the driver's side inner wing and that wing is now tacked in place, with fine-tuning and possible future adjustments to follow. Next week I have to take the rubber seals down for panel alignment purposes, as well as the grille.

The old front crossmember didn't look all that bad but when it was off; Pat, the the bodyman in the photo above, showed it to me and shook it, and it sounded just like a Maraca:)

They will be painting the front brake drum backing plates, the Hydrovac vacuum tank and the air inlet grille. I will repaint the brake drums myself in manifold paint. I had them blasted at Blast-it in Victoria today and I even did the vacuum tank blasting myself!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
March 24, 2017:

Left front fender is welded on; other side will be done next week, and then some final welding and metal trimming will be done before paint preparation begins.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
March 31, 2017:

Major welding is all done. Next week it will be a full coating in epoxy primer, then the blocking and priming begins, followed by a topcoat in Dark Blue.

Exciting times! Oh yeah that's me in photo 1, a bit older than the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
April 15, 2017:

There was not a lot to report on the bodyshell other than it has the anti gravel undercoat on it.

I also reassembled the struts, with new grease seals, new roller bearings for the steering swivels, new rubber boot and new upper cups. That factory spring compressor is fantastic!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
27 April, 2017:

Work continued. All inside surfaces are painted now, engine compartment included. Wow does the blue ever look dark when the car is in the shop!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
June 2, 2017:

The trim is being test fitted and the final body blocking is underway.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
June 3, 2017:

Harry Kalsbeek sent me a most appreciated gift - exact replicas of the Kalsbeek Motors dealer sticker that were on all cars they sold from their Ontario dealership in the sixties. This will again be worn with pride on the back of my 404 Coupé - delivered to its first owner in BC by Harry's parents themselves, all the way from the Greater Toronto Area - once the car is delivered back to me. He also sent some Castrol oil change door jamb stickers printed with the dealership name.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
June 5, 2017:

I decided to have a look inside the lever end of the Italian-made Nardi floor shifter that my 404C had from new. The last two I opened up had plastic bushings that had disintegrated over time and I thought that this one had a plastic bushing too, but intact, because the lever action was perfect.

After removing the 4 screws below the shifter, there was some very old, dirty oil in there. This end of the shifter cannot get any lubrication from the gearbox proper even though it's attached to it. The other two 404 Nardi shifters I had in the past were dry in there, with just some grease on the moving parts....

After removing two circlips, the mechanism comes apart. I could have removed the lever but decided against it because the bolt inside the mechanism is tied shut with a wire and it seemed very serene - I could clean around the lever, with it still somewhat attached.....

The bushing in this version of the Nardi is definitely not plastic, it's bronze or brass! It's in great condition!

View of the bronze bushing, which when the lever is actuated, moves up and down inside the sleeve attached to the shifter rod that transmits the action to the gearbox shifting forks.

The sump has been drained and cleaned out, and the bronze bushing is again circlipsed into place.

The sealing faces and threading of the little sump were carefully cleaned and then sealed with Hylomar Blue, to prevent any oil leaks.

Sump screw on the Nardi, accessible from inside the car, 24 mm.

...and refilled with Yacco vegetable based differential oil!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
June 28, 2017:

Newly powder coated wheels, new door jamb sill plates, some minor parts:

New XAS tires for the 4 rims and spare:

Rebuilt pedal assembly:

Disassembled grille:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
July 11, 2017:

I was asked to bring the grille surround back to the shop on Bastille Day to Coachwerks, as the bodyshell is virtually ready to paint. A final fitting of the grill surround to the shell will confirm that it's ready. Meanwhile, two of the three taillight bezels I have as well as the door handles are still at the chrome shop, as well as both bumpers, the latter for dent repair and polishing only.

You've read this before, but it's possible that the car will be painted in a week's time, and almost certainly by the end of July.

So, Peter Gallagher of Automotion, 1390 Pemberton Avenue North Vancouver, did the mounting and balancing when I was at his shop on Tuesday (11 July) morning. When I arrived he was nearly done, but I managed to catch the last bit of work. The wheels were "too pretty", Peter said, to hammer rim weights onto, so he used stick-on weights that will be invisible behind the large hubcaps.

I think I will keep the two 30 year old Michelin MXL and two 28 year old XM+S 100 tires on rims, so when the car sits in the garage it can be on those tires, saving the XAS from flat-spotting during storage.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
August 15, 2017:

The car has been in the booth since Friday and the 15th was to be paint day but Andy, the painter, required a final fettling, being a perfectionist. So....paint goes on Wednesday, August 16th.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts