Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering getting the cams that are on the European-Parts website. obviously i know i would need a tune in order to use them. but do you think this is something a custom speed shop would be able to do? or would i have to wait for somebody to make a tuner available for that kind of thing?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I would wait for a tuner. I would guess that a unique tune might be possible, but the possibility of screwing your ecu might not be that appealing. Especially if you need to get Ford's help to fix your programing. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it would require more money than the car is worth... Too risky for me!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
To get the best results, the cams would probably work better with a tune. Since the cam timing is adjustable via the PCM, I would bet a tune is needed. I did different cams in my ZX3, but there wasn't any electronic cam timing to deal with and the PCM was not tuned. The results were still very good, but not sure what the result would be on the Fiesta with twin variable cam timing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in what way could a custom tune hurt my ecu? im not doubting you, but alot of my friends have had tuning done by custom shops and it seems to go well with the dyno and all.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the more important question is if the ecu has been cracked, which i have no idea if it has, but i suspect not if there are no canned tunes on the market yet. you can't just go in an reprogram a car's ecu because you feel like it without the proper software to do so. most of the popular cars have these available, like evo's, sti's, civic's, etc. the fiesta is not exactly a tuner car so the software may be slow to come for it.

in terms of hurting the ecu, well it's not the ecu that you should be worried about. when a tune is made on a car, they change various variables concerning how the car drives. this could be something such as how much (or little) fuel is sent into the motor, cam timing, or even changing what rmp's you idle at. if it's not done properly by someone who knows what they're doing.....kaboom goes your motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To get the best results, the cams would probably work better with a tune. Since the cam timing is adjustable via the PCM, I would bet a tune is needed. I did different cams in my ZX3, but there wasn't any electronic cam timing to deal with and the PCM was not tuned. The results were still very good, but not sure what the result would be on the Fiesta with twin variable cam timing.
so would it be worth trying? could a performance shop help me with the tune do you think? or would i need to wait for SCT or somebody to have a programmer ready?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the more important question is if the ecu has been cracked, which i have no idea if it has, but i suspect not if there are no canned tunes on the market yet. you can't just go in an reprogram a car's ecu because you feel like it without the proper software to do so. most of the popular cars have these available, like evo's, sti's, civic's, etc. the fiesta is not exactly a tuner car so the software may be slow to come for it.

in terms of hurting the ecu, well it's not the ecu that you should be worried about. when a tune is made on a car, they change various variables concerning how the car drives. this could be something such as how much (or little) fuel is sent into the motor, cam timing, or even changing what rmp's you idle at. if it's not done properly by someone who knows what they're doing.....kaboom goes your motor.
i would imagine that a professional shop would know how to do all that. so really the only question is if they can crack the fiestas ECU right?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
there is 100% no way to tune the Fiesta, shy of ditching the entire factory setup and going to something like a Megasquirt, Pi, or Motec. No tuner, shop, or aftermarket company has any tuning support for the US Fiesta. If they say otherwise, I would strongly doubt it. Given the lack of tuning, lack of knowledge about US vs EU Fiesta engines, I would not try the camshafts. I would actually rule out using any EU engine parts for the simple fact there are too many unknowns. The cars may look the same, but in fact, they are very different. At this point, just pretend the EU tuning parts don't exist.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The only thing you can hope for is that the cam provides just more lift. The ECU controls the Duration.

If it is more lift ONLY. I say go for it ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing you can hope for is that the cam provides just more lift. The ECU controls the Duration.

If it is more lift ONLY. I say go for it ;)
i would think it would still need a tune even if it only is more lift. so right now im pretty much ruling out the possibility of getting cams. at least until the have some type of tuning available

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i would imagine that a professional shop would know how to do all that. so really the only question is if they can crack the fiestas ECU right?
you put too much trust in a tuner.

there are good tuners and bad tuners. both are everywhere, and you can't tell who's who by looking at them. you need to know their work. and to know their work, you need to know something about tuning. don't take offense to this, but you don't really seem to know anything about what it takes to tune a car or what the variables involved are. which basically means that you shouldn't even be thinking about having a car tuned. you should never do anything to a car that you don't understand.

also, just because someone says they can tune a car doesn't mean they can. and just because someone can tune a evo doesn't mean they can tune a fiesta. they are different cars, with different systems, and will react differently to modifications.

i agree with BRG, don't do it. if you have the money to replace the motor if something goes wrong though then by all means go right ahead. if you want to be the guinea pig fine, but be forewarned that this could go very very bad. it could also work, depending on the lengths you are willing to go to make it work (such as installing a full standalone ecu).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you put too much trust in a tuner.

there are good tuners and bad tuners. both are everywhere, and you can't tell who's who by looking at them. you need to know their work. and to know their work, you need to know something about tuning. don't take offense to this, but you don't really seem to know anything about what it takes to tune a car or what the variables involved are. which basically means that you shouldn't even be thinking about having a car tuned. you should never do anything to a car that you don't understand.

also, just because someone says they can tune a car doesn't mean they can. and just because someone can tune a evo doesn't mean they can tune a fiesta. they are different cars, with different systems, and will react differently to modifications.

i agree with BRG, don't do it. if you have the money to replace the motor if something goes wrong though then by all means go right ahead. if you want to be the guinea pig fine, but be forewarned that this could go very very bad. it could also work, depending on the lengths you are willing to go to make it work (such as installing a full standalone ecu).
you are exactly right. ive never dealt with four banger tuner cars before. i really only deal with old mustang where tuning is very simple, you turn a dial on a module to control everything and put it to where you want it. and trust me i have had alot of success with my mustangs. but thats why i would never do any of the work myself. other than the exhaust which is on the way, and suspension and cold air intake. thats pretty much all the same. but i would trust the guys at the speed shop i go to. i've known them for years and they wouldnt screw me like that

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Tuning a vintage Mustang with a carb vs a EEC V Fiesta is about the same as putting together a model rocket and landing on the moon. Outside of the principals of a 4 stroke combustion engine, nothing is the same. I would just avoid the cams at this point, until more is known. FRPP may come out with cams that will work with the stock US PCM tuning, or they have already figured out there is no use to develop them. For now, stick with the basics like a free flowing intake and exhaust. Install some ultra light smaller diameter wheels too, it will help performance without having to worry about the engine. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
in what way could a custom tune hurt my ecu? im not doubting you, but alot of my friends have had tuning done by custom shops and it seems to go well with the dyno and all.
I can guarantee that unless said shops are using a $1500 + stand alone ECU this will not happen on the US Ford Fiesta. No way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am seriously considering getting the cams that are on the European-Parts website. obviously i know i would need a tune in order to use them. but do you think this is something a custom speed shop would be able to do? or would i have to wait for somebody to make a tuner available for that kind of thing?
The piper cams on that website are not for our motor. It state it is not for use with the 1.6 TI-VCT the only place that has cams for the 1.6TI-VCT is puma speed. I am waiting to hear back from them if they will work with out a tune and if so what kind of gains we might seem from them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
there is 100% no way to tune the Fiesta, shy of ditching the entire factory setup and going to something like a Megasquirt, Pi, or Motec. No tuner, shop, or aftermarket company has any tuning support for the US Fiesta. If they say otherwise, I would strongly doubt it. Given the lack of tuning, lack of knowledge about US vs EU Fiesta engines, I would not try the camshafts. I would actually rule out using any EU engine parts for the simple fact there are too many unknowns. The cars may look the same, but in fact, they are very different. At this point, just pretend the EU tuning parts don't exist.

Any updates on tuning a Fiesta SE now that it's a few years later?

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is not. Your only bet to increase horsepower significantly is to install a nitrous kit (I recommend a wet kit and pills no higher than 100hp). Anything higher than that and you run into fuel and timing issues. Stock engines usually tolerate it well if you’re not stupid with it. You can get a nitrous controller from www.n2mb.com to help further control the application of nitrous.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is not. Your only bet to increase horsepower significantly is to install a nitrous kit (I recommend a wet kit and pills no higher than 100hp). Anything higher than that and you run into fuel and timing issues. Stock engines usually tolerate it well if you’re not stupid with it. You can get a nitrous controller from www.n2mb.com to help further control the application of nitrous.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
Lol a 100 shot on a 120hp car? I would think 40 to 50 shot would be max.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’ve run nitrous for years. Ran 250hp kit on an all cast bottom end 454 for two years without issue in a heavy 82 Camaro. All depends on how you set it up.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve run nitrous for years. Ran 250hp kit on an all cast bottom end 454 for two years without issue in a heavy 82 Camaro. All depends on how you set it up.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
I fully agree with that, that is also a 454ci.. not a 1.6L.
I have run it too, in several cars. 100hp seems excessive in a 120hp car.. . Near doubling a stock cars hp is interesting. I would love to see it though. Maybe if you had it progressive, and set per gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts