Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Seeing how many smart Fiesta owners(or to-be owners) are on this forum, I wanted to ask your advice.

Do you think there's any possibility of the Fiesta getting an EcoBoost engine? I'm a huge fan of turbocharged cars and the selection has been pretty slim for quite some time, but a nice small turbo car would make me giddy. I really want to get a Fiesta this year, but I'd kick myself forever if they went and produced the "car of my dreams" the year after I buy my first non-used car. :eek:

So what do you guys think? Buy now, or try to wait a year and keep hoping?

Thanks,
- Will

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Hey all,

Seeing how many smart Fiesta owners(or to-be owners) are on this forum, I wanted to ask your advice.

Do you think there's any possibility of the Fiesta getting an EcoBoost engine? I'm a huge fan of turbocharged cars and the selection has been pretty slim for quite some time, but a nice small turbo car would make me giddy. I really want to get a Fiesta this year, but I'd kick myself forever if they went and produced the "car of my dreams" the year after I buy my first non-used car. :eek:

So what do you guys think? Buy now, or try to wait a year and keep hoping?

Thanks,
- Will
It's your call. Ford is tight-lipped as to even confirming an EcoBoost Fiesta, (even though it's been spotted for testing).

Who knows what the next few years will bring to Fiesta :)

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
It would be the perfect fit for a small car like the Fiesta.

Considering that GM is looking at making turbo small displacement engines the future on small cars as well it would be a good bet to believe that we will see a turbo charged Fiesta here in the next several years...now only if they would bring the turbodiesel Fiesta here.

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
If the Fiesta ends up meeting sales expectations, then I would say it's almost a given that we will eventually see an EcoBoosted version.

My guess is that it will be a 1.6 in a performance-oriented model, or a 1.2/1.3 in a higher-tech, economy model.

However, I doubt it will happen in calendar year (CY) 2011. I wouldn't expect it until CY 2012 at the earliest, but probably more towards CY 2013-14.

But, if fuel prices stay low, and the Fiesta doesn't meet its sales targets, then that may change product planning dramatically in the coming years. Of course CAFE regs will dictate a product mix towards more fuel-efficient cars. It's currently a very rough time to be a product planner at a car company.

·
Banned
528 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you go by that spy shot you would also have to assume that we will get the 3 door hatch and Ford has said that isn't going to happen. I am not regretting my purchase and if they do bring a performance model over and I feel like it is a better car or exactly what I want then I will just trade my Fiesta in for that one. But if I really want a turbo Fiesta sooner then I will buy the aftermarket turbo kit that is being worked on already by FSWorks and should be out soon and put that on the car.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Isn't the Ecoboost more for MPG's than power? Take a real small engine, give it a turbo so it would have about 120 HP in this case when you need it to get the same performance and the "big" 1.6. This is only a guess. If Ford sells a lot of Fiesta's there will be more choices, but I'm guessing a year from now we'll be down to two models, like dropping the SE and only one color choice in trhe interior. Hope not.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Isn't the Ecoboost more for MPG's than power? Take a real small engine, give it a turbo so it would have about 120 HP in this case when you need it to get the same performance and the "big" 1.6. This is only a guess. If Ford sells a lot of Fiesta's there will be more choices, but I'm guessing a year from now we'll be down to two models, like dropping the SE and only one color choice in trhe interior. Hope not.
If the way they have BOTCHED the launch of the Fiesta is any indication I'd say you'd be right....

Honestly this is one of the most screwed up launches I have seen unfold in a loonng time....

It certainly isn't the fault of the car itself, more of the idiots like Sam& Co that are the root problem.

Of course I still think that there were early production problems on the US spec cars because of the extensive changes (that should not have occured because they were NOT necessary to get DOT/EPA approval in many cases ..Dearborn was trying to "americanize" the car because of fault preceptions that were given to them by their consultants..like the fact that more potential buyers wanted the sedan over the hatch.......I mean really what do they pay the millions to these companies for anyway...

I still say that Ford could have hired ordinary folks like you and me and had a better ear to the ground than with all the fancy pants millions dollars agencies they hire...a huge mistake that most auto companies refuse to stop making!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Actually, EcoBoost is supposed to give a "balance" of power of a higher displacement engine at a lower MPG rating. In a Fiesta, I can only assume there is a hp "goal" (say, 150 or more) using a specified displacement (say, 1.8L or 2.0L), and they will use a 1.4L or 1.6L with EcoBoost to achieve that hp goal.

I don't see why they would drop the SE. As long as Ford maintains some features as "exclusive" on some lines, and those models sell, there won't be a need to consolidate the lineup. If anything, we're probably more apt to seeing more features being incorporated into newer models.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
What FiestaFaction-1 said is pretty much exactly what I have heard as well. If the Fiesta is a success, then chances are very good that an EcoBoost Fiesta will see production. Chances are also good for some sort of a 1.6L EB performance model, but it is unclear which markets will get that model if it is released.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts