Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been good at waxing... I basically have no clue what I'm doing. every time I've tried to wax a car, the result is the car doesn't look much different than before I started and there's usually wax all over the decals that I can't remove (which ends up being a permanent white junk surrounding model/make/etc logos and what not)

Please post tips on waxing, I'd like to know start to finish including the different types of waxes and what they do - I just noticed in the http://fiestafaction.com/forums/so-fresh-so-clean/31639-whats-your-favorite-detailing-product.html thread that someone is using four different products in the wax process!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Your car is new so it doesn't need much prep work. Like with anything else, its not about the final product (wax/sealant) as much as it is about the prep work.

I recommend you go to autopia.org if you want to learn about detailing. I have good experience with Optimum products and Clearkote products.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Be very careful around black plastic. The wax will permently discolor the black. It's ok if you don't wax the paint with in a couple of inches of the black plastic. In fact feel free to use masking tape, but it's easier to keep a safe distance. This includes when you rub off the wax.

I was lazy today, I only waxed the hood and front bumper cover. I didn't wax the rest of the car!:eek: This is where all the bug impacts are and they don't stick as much.

One could argue that waxing a car is a waste of time and money. So if you don't wax it, don't feel bad. It isn't like you decided to never change the oil!

·
Registered
34 Posts
With Optimum Wax, you don't have to worry about getting it on the black trim or the emblems. It contains no powders that will crust up like other waxes do.

dave.

·
Registered
522 Posts
With Optimum Wax, you don't have to worry about getting it on the black trim or the emblems. It contains no powders that will crust up like other waxes do.

dave.
Optimum Spray Wax is the greatest thing in the world. That and Duragloss Aquawax, both amazing spray waxes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recommend you go to autopia.org if you want to learn about detailing. I have good experience with Optimum products and Clearkote products.
When I navigated to that site, chrome popped up the following warning about it.
Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for autopia.org

It does not look too safe. Not accusing them of doing it on purpose (any site can get hacked) but as of 9/7/10 I'd be a bit wary.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
When I navigated to that site, chrome popped up the following warning about it.
Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for autopia.org

It does not look too safe. Not accusing them of doing it on purpose (any site can get hacked) but as of 9/7/10 I'd be a bit wary.
Even a google search brought up the same warning. I used autopia.org in the past with no issues. That being said, I'm a bit surprised that there's a warning on it now :confused:

Just make sure you use quality products. That doesn't necessarily mean to use expensive stuff -- use stuff that's made by reputable folks and have a good rep with users.

As for towels, I've switched over to microfibre for a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I concur with the MacGuire's products....either invisible glass or perfect glass is great on the windows.Microfiber is king! Does anyone else hate the slant on the windshield? reminds me of my old '99 Taurus, hated to clean that one too because of the slant....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Number 1 tip is to not let the dealer wash your car when you bring it in for service or whatever.

If you are having problems waxing. Using tape as Corvair said works if you are too lazy or sloppy, thats what I do. If you don't want to do that, do the trim pieces first. I use something like Maguiars plastic and vinyl. Then if you get wax on the plastic, it will be easier to clean off without leaving the white stains on the trim.

Yes, I go through a lot of blue tape.

Keeping the car waxed and give it a quick wash every week or two actually cuts down on cleaning time when compared to big cleanings whenever it needs it.

Switch to ceramic brake pads will cut down on a lot of dust. I just clean my wheels every few days with just the hose and some paper towels. Weeks old stubborn brake dust takes a lot of effort to clean and they can start to etch the coating on the wheels.

Windows, I just use newspapers with either rubbing alcohol or vinegar to clean outside glass and on the inside crumpled dry newspapers. Wipe back and forth horizontally then do the same thing vertically with a clean side, it will be streak free.

Thats all I have now. Don't wash with dish soap. Anyone still do that? I only do it before a clay bar treatment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts