Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, guy from the U.S here.

I've been looking at Fiestas for a little while now. I've learned quite a bit about this car along the way, too! It's pretty neat that it shares a platform with the Mazda2, and that you can swap some parts in between the two. I've also learned that the DCT is a trash fire, but that's no problem, since I vastly prefer manual vehicles over autos, and they're cheaper over here. Anyways, the 1.0L Ecoboost sounded like a fun midpoint between the base 1.6L N/A engine and the ST engine, so I began investigating getting one of those. Plus, that MPG looks great. However, just when I thought American 1.0L Ecoboost Fiestas were safe from the 2011-2013 European "Ecoboom" that's been going on, disaster struck.

I got mechanical information about the 2015 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta I've been eyeing, and boy am I glad the dealer was honest...Yesterday, I learned that the car arrived in "poor running condition", and the three sparkplugs were "saturated with oil and cracked" without "[no] signs of excessive heat". They replaced the sparkplugs, which allowed the vehicle to run fine temporarily. Next day, the sparkplugs were covered in oil again. Their verdict was to send the car back to Ford for a new cylinder head and turbo. Whether this coincides with the failures in Europe or not is questionable, but nonetheless freaked me out about the possibility of buying a ticking lemon bomb.

Supposedly, from what I've read, what tends to cause this overheating is the coolant reservoir and coolant hoses themselves. I heard that parts of the hose would corrode, and would leak coolant at certain inlets. Similarly, the coolant reservoir would turn brittle and leak. Newer "fixed" ones have different rubber hoses without metal end pieces, but I don't know about the reservoir.

So, this brings me to my big questions.
  • Should I avoid the 1.0L Ecoboost altogether?
  • Were there any years of the Mk7/Mk7.5 Fiesta that revised the 1.0L overheating issues?
  • Did any of the 1.0L Engines that came to America receive these update hoses/fixes?
  • Ultimately, is the 1.6L N/A a safer bet than the 1.0L, and if so, by how much? Missing out on a little zip and go is not an issue if it means my car lasts way longer.
  • I've also learned that Forge Motorsports makes a silicone hose kit for the 1.0L Fiesta. Say if I bought a Fiesta 1.0L, would this kit bring me some peace of mind if it outperforms the OEM hoses?
  • Any other tidbits to look out for on a 1.0L platform? Any other aftermarket solutions to overheating?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think these Fiestas have some style and fun to them, but that won't be worth anything if it blows up before it barely has half as many miles of my old Protege5 (136k miles, rest it's soul...).

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's wild about the 2015 you were looking at. I've got a 2014 and fingers crossed it's been fine so far. I've had it for a bit over a year now and haven't had any problems that would put it out of commission.

Do you have any links or pictures of the bad hoses? Now I want to check mine to make sure they're not the ones prone to fail lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
136k is nothing... my daily has 265k and climbing. Anyway, a boosted engine is never going to outlast an NA one, all else being equal... You know that KISS saying? Keep It Simple Stupid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts