Fiesta Faction banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
What's the range on the remote start? I live downtown. My car is about 100 feet away on the other side of my building. Any chance something like that would fly?

Also, for anyone that knows, how does it work with the manual transmission if the clutch has to be held down for the car to start?
Can't get remote start for the manual transmission. What would happen the first time you park it in gear and hit the button?:eek:
actually it is possible to have a remote start on a manual, it's just illegal and dealerships aren't going to do it. that being said, i had remote starts on two manual cars. it's not really that difficult. there's a clutch bypass module that allows the car to start without the clutch being depressed. which actually is pretty nice because even when you manually start the car you don't need to push in the clutch.

the reason it is illegal (at least here) is because of the issue of what happens if you leave the car in gear and start it. it will start driving. if you turn off the car it will stop. but it's a real danger and something that no one wants to have happen. and before you ask, yes i did have it happen - my ex thought he would be nice and warm up my car for me after a day at the track (????!!!!! like it wasn't warm enough after that day) and the car started driving away. luckily it was a mostly empty parking lot and i was able to turn off the car in time and no damage was done. it was still a scary thing to have happen.

if you REALLY want it on a manual car, there are always shops that are willing to do it for the right price.

·
Registered
258 Posts
actually it is possible to have a remote start on a manual, it's just illegal and dealerships aren't going to do it. that being said, i had remote starts on two manual cars. it's not really that difficult. there's a clutch bypass module that allows the car to start without the clutch being depressed. which actually is pretty nice because even when you manually start the car you don't need to push in the clutch.

the reason it is illegal (at least here) is because of the issue of what happens if you leave the car in gear and start it. it will start driving. if you turn off the car it will stop. but it's a real danger and something that no one wants to have happen. and before you ask, yes i did have it happen - my ex thought he would be nice and warm up my car for me after a day at the track (????!!!!! like it wasn't warm enough after that day) and the car started driving away. luckily it was a mostly empty parking lot and i was able to turn off the car in time and no damage was done. it was still a scary thing to have happen.

if you REALLY want it on a manual car, there are always shops that are willing to do it for the right price.
Ha! that must have been an interesting day - to see cars driving themselves and all.

I never really park my car in-gear as it is. I usually just turn the wheel inward towards whatever curb I park next to, and I throw the emergency break on.

I think I'd even be willing to have to use an elbowed or extendable prop to hold the clutch in when I'm planning on using the remote start.

With remote starts being illegal on manual transmission, that pretty much rules out going to Best Buy for the install right?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ha! that must have been an interesting day - to see cars driving themselves and all.

I never really park my car in-gear as it is. I usually just turn the wheel inward towards whatever curb I park next to, and I throw the emergency break on.

I think I'd even be willing to have to use an elbowed or extendable prop to hold the clutch in when I'm planning on using the remote start.

With remote starts being illegal on manual transmission, that pretty much rules out going to Best Buy for the install right?
i typically leave it in neutral as well, but i was on a hill and had thrown it in gear just in case. i knew that, but he did not, so it was quite a surprise when the car started driving lol

best buy is not going to do an install for you lol. try smaller, local shops. i will warn you though, if you don't know someone it's going to cost you to get it done. i always did mine through friends so it wasn't so bad, but i've heard of shops charging $500 on top of the alarm to install it. 1k is a lot to pay for a remote start. i actually have a remote start sitting in my basement that i might see about throwing into the fiesta. not sure how it will work with the key fob thing though, i'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
instead of being illegal why not just have a neutral safety switch....

My bikes all know when they are in neutral, why not have a similar device
on the car...if the trans is not in neutral the car won't remote start.....I presume the automatics have a Park switch and won't start if not in park, same deal should be true for the manual....of course law and logic often diverge.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I see a Prostart remote car starter kit is available for $129.00 new and $50.00 on Craigslist. Has anyone any experience with this remote starter kit?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
instead of being illegal why not just have a neutral safety switch....

My bikes all know when they are in neutral, why not have a similar device
on the car...if the trans is not in neutral the car won't remote start.....I presume the automatics have a Park switch and won't start if not in park, same deal should be true for the manual....of course law and logic often diverge.
there is a neutral safety switch.....in the clutch. that's why you have to push the clutch in to start a car, and why you need to push the brake to start in an auto. a bypass module simply keeps the connection at all times, making sure you don't need to push in the clutch to start the car. it is possible to install one of these on the shifter itself, but it's basically a pain in the butt and no one wants to do it, and alarms aren't wired to read two switches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't get remote start for the manual transmission. What would happen the first time you park it in gear and hit the button?:eek:
I had a remote start for a manual transmission once. The car had to be parked in Neutral, not first gear. With the parking break engaged. It worked! This has to be set before you get out of the car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts