Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that when driving at 45 mpg+ when I want to pass by a slower car my fiesta just does not accelerate quickly (I have the 6 speed Automatic).

Currently I am popping it into hill climbing mode, to up the rpm's, I have tried pushing it into L but I am not sure if that is too good for transmission in the long run.

Any suggestions on how to reliably get some quick power? Either with a driving tip, or aftermarket parts?

As you can tell I am not a car enthusiast, I just try to get from point A to B in one piece. :)

Thanks for any and all comments.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The easiest way is to just press down on the gas pedal until the computer downshifts the transmission, or just continue as you currently do (press the button). The way it's designed to operate,is that it stays in the highest possible gear (whenever possible) to maximize fuel economy, but you already knew that.

Using "L" won't hurt the transmission. I sometimes use it on freeway on-ramps to make merging into heavy traffic easier. You are only moving a lever, not doing the shifting. The computer is controlling the clutch & gear selection, so you only get to tell the computer what you want, and the computer decides whether or not to give it to you. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
The easiest way is to just press down on the gas pedal until the computer downshifts the transmission, or just continue as you currently do (press the button). The way it's designed to operate,is that it stays in the highest possible gear (whenever possible) to maximize fuel economy, but you already knew that.

Using "L" won't hurt the transmission. I sometimes use it on freeway on-ramps to make merging into heavy traffic easier. You are only moving a lever, not doing the shifting. The computer is controlling the clutch & gear selection, so you only get to tell the computer what you want, and the computer decides whether or not to give it to you. :)
All L does it make it hold onto the lowest gear possible, consider a sports mode of some sort.

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
Just to follow up on what Reddog99 is saying. You need to be somewhat aggressive and snap the accelerator quickly, which I've always referred to as 'kicking it down'.

This will cause the transmission to automatically go to a lower gear and allow better acceleration. If you apply pressure to the throttle to gradually, it will pump more fuel into the engine, but without downshifting.

You can get away with that on a car with a lot of torque. But the Fiesta's engine, as great as it is, simply doesn't have that kind of power.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just to follow up on what Reddog99 is saying. You need to be somewhat aggressive and snap the accelerator quickly, which I've always referred to as 'kicking it down'.

This will cause the transmission to automatically go to a lower gear and allow better acceleration. If you apply pressure to the throttle to gradually, it will pump more fuel into the engine, but without downshifting.

You can get away with that on a car with a lot of torque. But the Fiesta's engine, as great as it is, simply doesn't have that kind of power.
I have to agree with Jester as I have been in the same situation and even by kicking it down,stomping on the pedal or whatever you want too call it the trans just doesn't react fast enough compared to a normal auto. I now do the same as jester and turn overdrive off or pull it into low and this seems to help alot.
The only other choice right now is to floor it and be ready when the car does decide to do what you are asking it to do because once it does it does pretty well at picking up speed quickly.
I am hoping that future program updates either from Ford or the aftermarket ,such as the one SCT is working on right now, helps the trans gear selection process under full throttle.

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
Throttle response will be a huge to-do list in the aftermarket tuning industry. We have big plans with our fiesta...
It will be interesting to see just how difficult the PowerShift programming will be to crack. And then, whether any company will be interested in putting the resources towards it, as the majority of modified Fiestas will be manuals IMO.

It's been done in the VAG market for the DSG, so it is doable. But there is quite a bit more momentum behind that market, and some actual performance models equipped with the DSG, unlike the Fiesta, in which the semi-auto is positioned for economy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if we have access to the PowerShift CPU.. how hard would it be to add in manual shifting? That would be a sweet aftermarket add on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
.....unlike the Fiesta, in which the semi-auto is positioned for economy.
And the system also seems to be biased towards longevity. Stomping on the gas from a stop is positively underwhelming until the clutch has become engaged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently I am popping it into hill climbing mode, to up the rpm's, I have tried pushing it into L but I am not sure if that is too good for transmission in the long run.
What is "Hill climbing mode"? Is it a button or other feature of the transmission? Does the OP find it adequate to use for passing others on the freeway? I'm seriously considering this car but I've experienced a similar problem with freeway passing while test driving the Fiesta. I'm glad I caught this thread.

Thanks...

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's actually designed to be a hill descent mode and is a button on the side of the shifter. The best thing to do for passing is to just floor it. The tranny will behave just like any other automatic transmission and downshift to the lowest safe gear. Using the button while going uphill will make the tranny downshift a gear, but is generally useless other than that.

If you want to prevent the tranny from upshifting, or cause it to downshift without flooring the gas pedal, then pull it back into "Low". This will generally maintain the engine speed above 4000 rpm so you can manuver in heavy traffic or travel briskly down your favorite curvy road.

Edit: the descent mode detects road angles greater than 3 degrees and will cause the tranny to downshift to provide engine braking. It might work a bit going uphill (causing a downshift), but I haven't really been able to figure that out yet for sure. I'm still experimenting...

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP, your best bet is to just put the accelerator to the floor. There are no aftermarket parts short of a turbo that will give you the power you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
OP, your best bet is to just put the accelerator to the floor. There are no aftermarket parts short of a turbo that will give you the power you are looking for.
Sorry, that is incorrect. There are many options available for the 1.6L engine that can make it more powerful without forced induction. The Fiesta R2 uses a normally aspirated 1.6L with heavy duty internals, higher compression pistons, cams, heavy duty valve springs, tuned exhaust and intake, and special PCM tuning and produces 170 PS @ 7500 RPM. For more street friendly performance, Mountune has developed a kit for the EU market that drops 2 seconds off the 0-60 time and is still NA. Saying that there is no parts to help with acceleration other than a turbo is not correct. PCM tuning, intake, and a complete tuned exhaust can do wonders over stock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sorry, that is incorrect. There are many options available for the 1.6L engine that can make it more powerful without forced induction. The Fiesta R2 uses a normally aspirated 1.6L with heavy duty internals, higher compression pistons, cams, heavy duty valve springs, tuned exhaust and intake, and special PCM tuning and produces 170 PS @ 7500 RPM. For more street friendly performance, Mountune has developed a kit for the EU market that drops 2 seconds off the 0-60 time and is still NA. Saying that there is no parts to help with acceleration other than a turbo is not correct. PCM tuning, intake, and a complete tuned exhaust can do wonders over stock.
For the most part BPUs just really make your car louder. The Mountune 140 kit is what? $2,000? You're halfway towards a turbo kit or $2,000 that you could've put towards a faster car.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Passing

I have had no problems passing cars. Just put my foot down, complete the pass and back off. Of course you have to take into consideration the low HP.
It might take a little longer. I am amazed at the performance achieved with only 120 HP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had no problems passing cars. Just put my foot down, complete the pass and back off. Of course you have to take into consideration the low HP.
It might take a little longer. I am amazed at the performance achieved with only 120 HP.
thankyou ice for that.

going na 170whp is usually more expensive then forced inductions. 170whp na on an engined designed for mpg and without bigger displacement or fi sounds impossible.

wasn't the b16a the most powerful passenger 1.6 i dont think it made even 160whp.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
As others have said, Just be aggressive with the throttle.
I have no problem passing cars .
The Hill Assist (hill climbing ) mode is actuated by a button on the shift lever. Note: your owners manual explains it well.
Rather or not it helps in passing is questionable although it does down shift one gear. It does change the shift pattern.
Like down shifting when braking.
Waiting for some one to come up with a "fix" is a life of frustration.

"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT" :p

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You just replied to a 5 year old thread. ;) No idea why the40mmgunner dredged this up. ?????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts