Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to take the Fiesta ST to one of the highest point in the eastern United States.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nice. I drove up Mt. Evans on my trip to Colorado two years ago and that was the highlight of the whole trip to me. While it's the highest elevation paved road in America, I don't think you climb near as much in elevation as Mt. Washington so I'm not sure how it compares. Those roads look pretty tiny though. I know the road on Mt. Evans was a bit wider. I'd probably chicken out on that drive. :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Decided to take the Fiesta ST to the highest point in the eastern United States.
At 6288', Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) is only the 17th highest peak in the eastern United States. Of the 41 or so 6000' peaks east of the Mississippi, only Mt. Washington is not in North Carolina or Tennessee.

I hiked up #1, Mt. Mitchell (6684') and #3, Clingman's Dome (6643') this year. Both do have paved roads almost to the summits.

Source: The Tallest Mountains in the Eastern U.S.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At 6288', Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) is only the 17th highest peak in the eastern United States. Of the 41 or so 6000' peaks east of the Mississippi, only Mt. Washington is not in North Carolina or Tennessee.

I hiked up #1, Mt. Mitchell (6684') and #3, Clingman's Dome (6643') this year. Both do have paved roads almost to the summits.

Source: The Tallest Mountains in the Eastern U.S.
Thanks for the correction.

I can't imagine hiking up to the top of a mountain, driving up there was scary enough. There were times were I felt confident enough to really get on the throttle, but then had to be hard on the brakes for a hairpin. The bottom 1/3 of the road is where you could really have some fun, after that, it narrows and it is hard to see what is coming the other way. Trying to go flat out for the "Race to the Clouds" rally requires massive amounts of skill and courage. I don't have enough of either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't imagine hiking up to the top of a mountain, driving up there was scary enough.
I haven't hiked Mt. Washington yet...but it can be tough because of the weather! Training for a 100 mile hike next summer with my son and his Boy Scout troop.

In the early 80's I drove up Pikes Peak in a rented Jeep and looked over and saw my passenger was white knuckled on the door handle...the cliff drop-off was on his side! I was having fun driving hard and at that time it was mostly gravel and I suppose I was sliding a little...I never played with four wheel drive before! Plus, I didn't know the passenger well...he was a fellow attendee of a conference at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't hiked Mt. Washington yet...but it can be tough because of the weather! Training for a 100 mile hike next summer with my son and his Boy Scout troop.

In the early 80's I drove up Pikes Peak in a rented Jeep and looked over and saw my passenger was white knuckled on the door handle...the cliff drop-off was on his side! I was having fun driving hard and at that time it was mostly gravel and I suppose I was sliding a little...I never played with four wheel drive before! Plus, I didn't know the passenger well...he was a fellow attendee of a conference at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs!
I wish you the best of luck on your hike! That is a crazy distance!

I did the cog train ride to Pikes Peak, but have not driven it.

Fiesta Remixer, Sara did very well on the ride. A few times she got on my case because I punched it on the way up. I loved hearing the turbo sounds off the mountain, but had to jump hard on the brakes for a corner. There were times she was scared since she could actually look out the side windows to see how close we were to edge. We might be heading to another autocross soon in case you are looking for a fun ride ;)

·
Fiesta Movement Rep
230 Posts
Fiesta Remixer, Sara did very well on the ride. A few times she got on my case because I punched it on the way up. I loved hearing the turbo sounds off the mountain, but had to jump hard on the brakes for a corner. There were times she was scared since she could actually look out the side windows to see how close we were to edge. We might be heading to another autocross soon in case you are looking for a fun ride ;)
I'm quite aware of the LSRP races. I think I'll sit that one out. :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm quite aware of the LSRP races. I think I'll sit that one out. :)
LSPR is in October, but we will be autocrossing in Muskegon at a small track in a few weeks. Passenger seat is always open :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
That was fun!. I found myself leaning around the corners and even started to get dizzy once... :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
my dad used to do the assault on mt. Mitchell bicycle race every year when i was a kid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In Australia, highest road is in the Australian Alps, goes to Charlottes Pass. 1750m. 5750 feet. Rawson pass at the base of Mt Kosciusko has OZ's highest toilets, at 2000m/6600 feet. Mt Kosciusko itself is 2228m/7300 ft.

Highest Fiesta has been is to the summit of Mt Canobolas, 1395m/4600ft.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this weekend, rally cars will be racing up the same road I drove the ST on last summer. There are a number of Fiesta's running, including a ST and a few R2's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts