Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a whining sound from the radiator fan last week after I shut off the engine so i knew the bearings or brushes were going out, I ordered a replacement and before it arrived I was driving home and it failed. A/C blew hot at stops and coolant temp warning light came on, so I turned on the heater and drove with the windows down and the warning light turned off. I replaced the fan and now the A/C still blows warm at stops and I'm not sure the fan is moving air.

On my 2nd gen Probe the fan used to come on when the Max A/c was turned on, does the Fiesta do the same? Or is there another way i can make the fan come on so I can check that its getting power?

I don't know if its the relay or a switch and i would like to keep from just buying a bulk of parts and replacing them all, does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?

2011 Base model, 168k miles, standard

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I noticed a whining sound from the radiator fan last week after I shut off the engine so i knew the bearings or brushes were going out, I ordered a replacement and before it arrived I was driving home and it failed. A/C blew hot at stops and coolant temp warning light came on, so I turned on the heater and drove with the windows down and the warning light turned off. I replaced the fan and now the A/C still blows warm at stops and I'm not sure the fan is moving air.

On my 2nd gen Probe the fan used to come on when the Max A/c was turned on, does the Fiesta do the same? Or is there another way i can make the fan come on so I can check that its getting power?

I don't know if its the relay or a switch and i would like to keep from just buying a bulk of parts and replacing them all, does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?

2011 Base model, 168k miles, standard
The PCM monitors the ECT sensor. When cooling is needed, it uses low side switching and provides a ground signal to the Cooling fan relay, which will turn on the cooling fan. The A/C system will override the ECT system and when on MAX A/C, the cooling fan should run continuously. A simple test of the relay (F16 in the BJB) should show if it's good or bad. Check fuse 3 in the BJB underhood. This circuit protects the cooling fan circuit, which could likely have spiked when the fan failed causing the fuse to blow to protect the circuit from overamp draw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The PCM monitors the ECT sensor. When cooling is needed, it uses low side switching and provides a ground signal to the Cooling fan relay, which will turn on the cooling fan. The A/C system will override the ECT system and when on MAX A/C, the cooling fan should run continuously. A simple test of the relay (F16 in the BJB) should show if it's good or bad. Check fuse 3 in the BJB underhood. This circuit protects the cooling fan circuit, which could likely have spiked when the fan failed causing the fuse to blow to protect the circuit from overamp draw.
So if the relay is bad will the fan still come on with ac on high?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if the relay is bad will the fan still come on with ac on high?
Wow. Thank you bro I appreciate that. I'm old school and work on the older stuff. My daughter bought this mini computer with wheels and I cant figure it out for the life of me. This should help a lot. What is BJB? Is that the fuse box?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts