Fiesta Faction banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds like the same issue that I had. While driving the vehicle I would occasionally hear a loud pop. Then the audio was out until I turned the car off and back on again. After the most recent pop it no longer comes back on after a restart. The entire menu system has also stopped working. You can press the power button to switch between the ford logo and the clock, but can't access any of the menu's. I'm just out of bumper to bumper warranty now. Brought it to the service center and they said it was an internal short and required replacing the entire unit at a cost of $700 (plus the diagnostic cost of $100). Very frustrating. I'm looking through salvage yards right now trying to find a replacement instead. Regretting having a system that is non-standard and integrated into the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this issue, and posted it here. Then I lost my USB connection, and then Bluetooth. A couple weekends ago I put in a Kenwood stereo and solved all three problems! It wasn't easy to do, but it was less expensive than what the Ford garage wanted just to fix the USB!

Of course, now it's back at the Ford garage waiting on a new engine compartment fuse box. The one I had is corroded past usefulness.

Frank

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first time my radio cut out after a very distinct popping sound I thought it might be a fluke. The second time...not so much. The third time...I was furious. I drove Toyotas for 31 years, after a Pinto for a few! The only reason I drive a Ford is because 1.) I needed a car...after my fourth Toyota for all intents and purposes was dying on me at 181K miles; and 2.) my husband found it and made the deal. My only requirements for a new car: small, and a standard...with a decent sound system. In the two years that I've had the car there have been two recalls...one for an emissions reset, the other for doors that might open when you don't want them to. Never had a recall with any of my Toy cars!! I have found it very interesting to read the posts about the radio issue. My car is covered by a bumper to bumper warranty to 100K...wonder if they managed to exclude the radio. Guess I'll find out soon enough since I'm due for an oil change. So glad that I found this site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined this thread because I have been experiencing the same problems. For months my radio would make occasional popping noises and then cut out completely. Restarting the car would correct it. Then it began snapping and popping constantly, even when I would completely shut the car off and remove the keys from the ignition. Now the radio won't work at all. It displays "Ford Audio" on the screen, but nothing else. I guess I should be happy that at least the constant popping and snapping has stopped! I'm not sure from all of these posts what I need to do next. I am reluctant to spend $500 to take it to the dealer for a new part when I've had cars for over 10 years that didn't have audio issues like these. Although it's convenient, I don't need to have the SYNC system connected to my phone, but would like a working radio! What is the least expensive option I have to correct this issue?
I know this is a super late reply, but since my car is doing EXACTLY what you describe here (i have the '14 sedan), I was wondering if you found a solution? I really am not excited about possibly having to replace the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just joined also because I am having the same issue as others, and am looking for assistance.
I have a 2011 Fiesta SE bought new in '11. It currently has 25,000 miles on it. The radio started exhibiting the same symptoms as others, would pop and go out. Might work the next day, or maybe next week. It has continued to get worse. It may work for a day, then out for a week, may work for a week, then out for a week or two. Of course I can't use Sync and have to keep Bluetooth turned off or I can't answer phone calls.
After having read this thread, I took it to the dealer today. They said the audio control module needs replacing (which I knew from this thread). They ordered an ACM which they said will cost me approx. $500. They will call when it comes in.
I am posting here hoping to get some assistance from Ford Customer Service for the expense.
I see where assistance has been offered, but haven't seen any replies confirming assistance. Has anyone had any luck?

Thanks

edit: I also sent a PM to FordService

edit 2: Got the ACM replaced; Ford Customer Service covered a portion of the cost (still pricey), hope it lasts as it should. 2 yr. warranty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I picked up my (wife's) Fiesta today from having the audio control module (radio) replaced.
Ford Customer Service did help out with coordinating the replacement with the dealer and reducing the replacement cost. It was still an expensive repair, but was less than what it would have been without the assistance. I am grateful for the help and glad to have a working sound and Sync system again.
The middle-man help was also useful in that the dealer was really slack on ordering the replacement. They told me they would order it, but didn't. The Ford customer service rep informed me after several days that the dealer needed my car back again to get the number from the module to order the replacement. They didn't get the part number originally, and didn't bother to tell me. I was waiting for them to call me to tell me the part had come in, and it hadn't even been ordered. They told the customer service rep. and he passed it on to me.
Anyway, despite the dealer shortcomings, Ford customer service got things worked out for me.
The Fiesta is rocking again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is exactly why I have joined this site as well. My 2011 Fiesta with 100K+ miles on it began this behavior last year (@75K miles). After about an hour, the sound system began popping at regular 6 second intervals, turning the entire system off for 3-4 seconds. This will continue for as long as the car is operating (meaning an 8 hour drive is maddening). The strange additions for my radio include: 1) I discovered last summer that I could maintain the radio without the popping noise if I ran the volume above 17. This, for a while, alleviated the problem. Then, for an unknown reason, the bluetooth and usb audio inputs would not work at all. The SYNC would not work at all. I could listen to SIRIUS, a CD, or the Radio. This went on for a couple of months over the summer and then just as suddenly, I got into my car one day and saw the bluetooth light on. The SYNC worked, and the popping noise was not as prevalent.
This lasted until late Fall. Then it all started back up again. Popping starts at about 45 minutes. The increased volume will give me about 10 more on SIRIUS but not on radio, CD, or USB. THEN, the radio began its interpretation of a possessed item. It will increase its own volume very loudly, then the volume plummets to almost inaudible regardless of the stereo volume. This will last for anywhere from 5-20 minutes and then either return to normal volume with the popping sound or go back to extremely loud and also popping.

IT's maddening I have a one hour commute to work and it literally drives me crazy. Protip, this happens even if I DO NOT TURN ON THE RADIO! I can drive without the radio on and it starts popping after 45 minutes. Insanity. Looks like replacing it with something else is the only way to go but I don't know if I can exchange this built-in monstrosity. What puzzles me is, why is this problem continuing with additional model years? I also received the $800 bad news on replacing it and I also said no thank you. I'm not giving Ford $800 to fix a problem they should have addressed years ago. I also have to say, this problem, and looking at this thread the extensiveness of it, has led me to not want to buy a Ford ever again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I too have a radio that went south. One loud pop and it quit and hasn't worked again, 39K miles, 2014 SE with auto which we bought new.

Is the ACM a stand alone piece or is it part of the radio? And if this gets replaced isn't this going to happen again or is there a redesign or upgrade?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe it's the actual head unit of the radio.
I had mine replaced, and Ford Customer Service told me that they were working with the dealer to make sure they replaced it with the correct part. So, I hope that means it's an upgraded part that will last.
I also bought mine new, and although the warranty was out, Ford covered a portion (but not all) of the replacement cost; presumably because it's a known issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just joined also because I am having the same issue as others, and am looking for assistance.
I have a 2011 Fiesta SE bought new in '11. It currently has 25,000 miles on it. The radio started exhibiting the same symptoms as others, would pop and go out. Might work the next day, or maybe next week. It has continued to get worse. It may work for a day, then out for a week, may work for a week, then out for a week or two. Of course I can't use Sync and have to keep Bluetooth turned off or I can't answer phone calls.
After having read this thread, I took it to the dealer today. They said the audio control module needs replacing (which I knew from this thread). They ordered an ACM which they said will cost me approx. $500. They will call when it comes in.
I am posting here hoping to get some assistance from Ford Customer Service for the expense.
I see where assistance has been offered, but haven't seen any replies confirming assistance. Has anyone had any luck?

Thanks

edit: I also sent a PM to FordService

edit 2: Got the ACM replaced; Ford Customer Service covered a portion of the cost (still pricey), hope it lasts as it should. 2 yr. warranty
Did they say whether the acm is in the radio itself, or is it a part in its own ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue here. It took two years to evolve from a popping sound once a couple of months to a frozen and non operational radio.

I've done some research and this is a worldwide platform issue. According with Ford Colombia, (who agreed to fix this issue no matter of the warranty coverage), the root points to a inner factory flaw from Visteon (the radio manufacturer), however there's no final diagnosis yet.

I hope Ford USA and Mexico (I live in Mexico) follows this responsible and customer friendly way to face inner flaws toward loyal customers.

I found the colombian hashtag #FallaRadioFord and I created #FallaRadioFordmx. I'm hoping that gathering a lot of people with the same issue will move things towards making Ford aware that this is a widely spread issue and will focus more resources on getting a definitive solution (right now, getting a new radio swap just means having radio for a while).

Here's the Colombian news link:
http://www.eltiempo.com/revista-motor/actualidad/industria/ford-atendera-fallas-presenten-radios-fiesta/24940

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this issue and the dealership wanted $700 to replace the stereo. Wouldn't warranty it. It would scream static, pop like it shorted and not work at all sometimes.
I found one out of a wrecked fiesta on eBay for $100, and picked up some trim pulling tools from NAPA for $7.
The job took less than 15 minutes and I've had no issues for over 3 months. Search stereo removal Ford Fiesta on YouTube and you'll find some videos of guys taking them out.

It's just the stereo unit. Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife's 2014 SE Hatchback is having this exact problem; Thankfully we bought CPO so it is still under bumper-bumper warranty, just need time to get it into a dealer. Hopefully 11 pages of discussion on the forum can point them in the right direction!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weird, the radio has come back on and works as normal now. Did not do a thing like disconnect the battery or anything. I have an extended warranty and my fear is the radio is going to crap out after it runs out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just jumping on this audio popping unfortunate bandwagon... '11 SE sedan w/55,500. This car has been a headache since I bought it new from the dealer. The popping is awful and down right startling and far to frequent to simply accept/live with. I am so sick of this car. Recalls from the doors flying open sporadically, to having had the entire automatic transmission rebuilt and STILL shifts like I am some newborn attempting to drive a stick. I can drive a stick, in Boston traffic while drinking coffee better than this dual clutch auto piece of crap has ever been able to. Totally at my wits end with this garbage. How many repairs need to occur before it becomes a clear and blatant manufacturers fault???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
Hopefully someone can help. I've read that it might be the ACM can anyone tell me exactly what the problem is?
My car started doing the bout 3months ago . At first it will do a loud pop and static sound so I'll cut the caright off then back on and everything will work fine but then it started happen more frequently really gets on my nerves. I hate the loud popping and static sound now it just won't stop. Went to the dealership yesterday they tell me they don't know. I'm at 69, 800 miles so no warranty. Please help I don't know what to do ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intermittent Radio cutting out with popping noise

Welcome to the forum!

I want to dig a bit deeper into this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
Meagan i am having the same problem on my 2013 ford Focus SE hatchback (i know this is a Fiesta forum).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there to all.
I guess after reading a lot of this thread, Meaghan is the go to person.
My wife drives a 2013 Fiesta SE and the crackling/popping noise is happening to her. My wife has a heart problem and it concerns her that these noises could cause a health problem or an accident!
Her car is going into the dealer for the third, fourth or fifth time tomorrow. I'm not sure.
There is about 63k miles on it. I can PM the VIN to you. Just not sure how.
Frank

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Hi there to all.
I guess after reading a lot of this thread, Meaghan is the go to person.
My wife drives a 2013 Fiesta SE and the crackling/popping noise is happening to her. My wife has a heart problem and it concerns her that these noises could cause a health problem or an accident!
Her car is going into the dealer for the third, fourth or fifth time tomorrow. I'm not sure.
There is about 63k miles on it. I can PM the VIN to you. Just not sure how.
Frank
Unfortunately, Meaghan and the other Ford Customer Service reps left this forum some months ago. I'm not certain whether they left forums/social media altogether, or just this particular one.

If you call the ford Customer Service number in your booklet and give them your information and complaint, you'll pretty much get the same amount of help that Meaghan would have provided (she simply alerted the regional manager that you were making an appointment with your dealership).

Long story short: They simply were here to tell you to go to the dealer, and gave them a sort of "heads-up" about your issue.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts